“Excellent service”

El Barril de Recoletos
Reserve with
El Barril de Recoletos is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,523 of 10,916 Restaurants in Madrid
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Barrio de Salamanca
South Florida, Florida
“Excellent service”
Reviewed 20 November 2012 via mobile

Had dinner with my wife and received outstanding sevice and great food. The russian salad with merloza was great. The codfish was cooked to perfection. The dinner experience was worth the ?120 we paid. If we had more time in Madrid we would definitely be back

Palma de Mallorca, Spain
“A Gem”
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Fantastic restaurant, very well set up, excellent service, with a vast meat and seafood offering. We had some grilled meat and vegetables, wine and a few beers (Madrid-style draught beer). It is quite expensive though worth every penny.

• Visited October 2012
London, England
“Good for seafood”
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Attractive restaurant with a modern interior in an older building. The hotel concierge sent us here and it proved a good recommendation. We shared a salad to begin, which was interesting rather than the standard mixed salad. I had crab gallego, which was delicious and large. The waiter recommended house wine, which was good, although came too cold to begin with. Lovely fruit dessert to wind it up, price about €110. Try it.

Visited October 2012
Bergen, Norway
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent seafood”
Reviewed 24 July 2012

"Pulpo a la gallega" is highly recommended.
Friendly and professional service; good value for money. I will come back.

• Visited July 2012
Vancouver, Washington
“Cena de gala de nochevieja -super! but stay away from the oysters”
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We arrived at our Madrid hotel at about 5pm on new year's eve with no restaurant reservations. Our concierge found a table for 6 at El Barril de Recoletos, we felt lucky as it was otherwise pretty full. Indeed the meal was incredible, if you love seafood - I was in heaven, especially when half the table didn't want their oysters and caviar (though see below) and my son didn't want his lobster. When the clock struck 12, we all had our tall glasses of gin at hand, ate our 12 grapes, and the staff came around and toasted each table. Delightful fun!
I provide the translated menu below.
While overall the meal was superb, there were a couple of unfortunate aspects. First, champagne was supposed to be provided throughout the meal, but we had a pretty long dry spell at one point (we weren't guzzling), but after requesting more, the staff were more attentive. Second, I hate to report this, but the three of us who ate raw oysters all came down with severe intestinal illness while the other 3 did not. Since then I've read that oysters from waters that are exposed to "effluent" are known for accumulating norovirus particles as they filter feed - I'm guessing we got some of these oysters. That made for a rough Jan 1 and 2nd, especially for my mother in law's intercontinental flight.
Nevertheless, I found this meal fantastic (my intestinal issues were the least severe), and only downgrade the rating by one star, as this could easily happen (and does!) with raw oysters. Looking over the menu now, several months later, I can recall the wonderful flavor of each of these dishes, and it makes me want to return to Madrid next new year's.

Welcome drink
Foie and pistachio Bombon
Fine cream scallops sautéed porcini and
Arcadian oysters with red caviar
Cantabrian lobster on the grill
Framuesa and violet sorbet
Loin of venison with winter fruits and cream of chestnuts
Puff pastry with pastry cream and applesauce
Lucky Grapes
christmas sweets
Arabica coffee and tea
Hendricks Gin Tonic with cucumber essence (they came around with the bottle and said "just say when")

• Visited December 2011