“Quiet, beautiful and well-located.”

Jardin de Recoletos
Ranked #29 of 437 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 26 October 2009

I live in Spain, but needed a relaxing weekend away from home to catch up on R & R. After researching on the web, I chose this hotel for quietness (I am very fussy about noise), relaxing quality of having a garden and closeness to major Madrid museums--Prado, Thyssen and Reina Sofia. I also wanted a hotel where I could enjoy spending a fair amount of time reading in my room, so the room had to be pleasant and comfortable. This hotel lived up to my expectations and more.

My room--311--was very big, with everything needed: window with small balcony looking over the garden, with lots of sun in the afternoon. There was also a sitting area with a small sofa (pull-out, I checked) right next to a kitchen area (fridge w/ complimentary beverages, stovetop, microwave, sink and some dishes). The kitchen area was nicely hidden behind mirrored folding doors. In addition, for writing or using computer, there was a desk designed for two people to work at the same time. The room was incredibly sound-proofed. If I opened the balcony window, I could hear the splash of the garden fountains (so nice!) and voices from the garden terrace. When I closed the window, these sounds completely disappeared. I was here in fall, when people were not eating out in the garden, but this sound-proofing would be important in summer. The room was tastefully decorated in a combination of blue and yellow.

Bathroom was very nice and big too, with long tub for soaking. It was nicely supplied with toothbrushes, etc.

In terms of what the room included, my only complaint would be the lack of radio. There was a tv, whose remote control said "radio", but when I clicked on this feature, I got a message on the tv screen saying there was no radio feature. A call down to reception confirmed this.

If you are looking for a hotel close to Sol, i.e. the busy shopping center of Madrid, this is probably not the place for you. Sol is about 30 minutes walking distance (and much of the way uphill). If you like to walk, this is fine---even nice to stretch your limbs--and you do not have to go through sketchy areas to walk to the center. And if you are looking for a hotel that is removed from this noisy, crowded and touristy area, yet within walking distance of the major art museums I mentioned above, this area is ideal. The hotel is 3 minutes away from the Paseo de Recoletos (ideal if you are coming from Chamartin train station---just take the "tren de cercanias" to Recoletos, get off and walk). It is 10 minutes walk from the Prado, and 20 minutes walk to the Retiro (major Madrid park). The Casa de America (for those interested in all to do with Spanish America) is 5 minutes away. As I mentioned above, Sol and the Gran Via area is about 30 minutes walk. Check into the subways with the reception staff.

Breakfast is sublime! An enormous spread, with hot and cold food for all tastes. The home-made yoghurt is incredible. You eat looking out on the central garden.

I didn´t need much from the staff, but whatever my questions were, they were unfailingly polite and helpful. I heard reception and also a waiter speaking English with some guests and their English seemed to be fine for basic communication.

Although I went alone one night, and my husband joined me the next (his opinion was equally favorable), I think this hotel would be good for bringing children because of the space, the kitchen and the soundproofing.

Price: I reserved at the last minute, directly with reception, and the price I paid was 138 euros (including VAT tax) for single occupancy. The night my husband stayed, we paid
approx. 10 euros more.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank Marinael

Reviewed 15 May 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at the hotel for four nights.

It was down a quiet side street off of a very busy main road with an awful lot of roadworks going on so were worried that it was going to be really noisy but were pleasantly surprised that it wasn't

Initially arrived, reception was quite small and the receptionist was taking ages with the customer in front, when you are tired and have been travelling you just want to get to your room. Was feeling a bit irritated but then realised when he dealt with us that it was just his way and he was really helpful and thorough. In fact during our stay the reception staff were very helpful.

The room was surprising, think I was expecting it to be small but it was lovely and spacious, smashing bed, and some attractive mirrored wardrobe (I thought) doors, could be pulled back to find a very well equipped and clean little kitchenette with microwave, big fridge, sink and 2 ring hob. We hadn't planned on cooking ourselves but did feel it was a bit of a bonus and could save you some money if you did want to. The room had a nice little seating area with a coffee table and settee. Small juliette balcony overlooking the garden but as we were only on the first floor we could see more of the ground floor extension. We noticed speakers set into the walls and realised we had a radio as well which was nice.

It also had a small but well kept garden and it was pleasant to come back after sightseeing and enjoy a glass of wine, which was generally very cheap.

The hotel is situated in a nice quite location that, although it's not right in the centre, we still didn't find it too far to walk to all of the attractions. We only got a taxi a couple of times and the metro a couple of times.

We found the Metro on the whole safe but my boyfriend was pickpocketed on the Metro when we went back to the airport, luckily we managed to get the wallet back. We had our cases so obviously looked like tourists, but a word of advice would be to make sure you don't have your valuables where they can easily be spotted and taken and if people jostle you or block your way on an otherwise fairly empty train or station, check your belongings immediately.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank DontLikeDowns
Reviewed 24 August 2008

Jardin de Recoletos is situated in a quite street closed to one of the main streets. Ideally located to reach the center and the Madrid Vision (tour busses). It is about 5 min. walk from a nice and very large park with play-areas for children.

We recommend the hotel to families with children. The rooms are spacious, have a small kitchen, refigorator, small freezer (nice for Hägen Dazs!).

We made our booking via booking.com and got a good deal on 110 euros pr. night incl. breakfast.

There was very good and fast service at the hotel and the hotel has an outdoor terasse. It is in between buildings so it is mostly in the shade.

There is a parking garage to the hotel for 17 Euros. Parking in the street is only for short-term parking.

Only minuses, the free wireless network was unstable so we got a cable instead (which then worked fine).

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank DahlFamily
Reviewed 29 July 2007

I just went to Madrid for a weekend, it was my first time there and it surprized me how beautiful the city is. The hotel was conveniently located, the staff were very friendly and the breakfast was great. Madrid is a city I will definitely go again and so is this lovely hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CoffeeloverBeith
Reviewed 24 October 2006

Perfectly pleasant hotel in the smart shopping / business district. Everything was fine and as it should be but it could have been anywhere. Breakfast worth getting up for. Rooms a decent size.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled on business
1  Thank anthonywblair
Reviewed 29 September 2006

My husband and I spent four nights at this lovely hotel and were delighted. The location is perfect; you can walk everywhere. The hotel is on a small one-way street which minimizes noise despite the very central location. Guest rooms are modern, spacious, spotlessly clean and comfortable. Minibars are stocked with complimentary beverages including mineral water and soda, and the room rate includes a very nice breakfast buffet. Last but not least, the staff is fabulous; friendly, knowledgeable, willing to help in all ways. Given the reasonable price, this hotel offer great value.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Espejo
Reviewed 11 September 2006

We stayed for 2 nights at this hotel in September 2006 on the recommendation of Spanish friends.We stayed in a standard room and were pleasantly suprised by the size which was very generous for this price bracket. The location of the hotel is good, near the park and walking distance from the centre of town.

Our only slight disapointment was the breakfast which was OK but nothing to rave about.

All in all a good choice for a short break and as we managed to get a good deal (100 Euros per night) we thought it was excellent value.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple