“Great location and service”

Jardin de Recoletos
Ranked #25 of 445 Hotels in Madrid
Denver, Colorado
“Great location and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2010

The location of the hotel was perfect for us; down a quiet side street, in an upscale neighborhood, close to Retiro Park for running. Short walk to the Metro, which is immaculate and punctual, as well as to the Prado Museum and fabulous shopping on Calle de Serrano.
The front desk service was friendly, helpful and professional. Prior to our arrival, they made restaurant reservations, gave us directions to the hotel from the airport using the Metro, etc.
The room was plenty big enough for 3 adults, including a kitchenette hidden behind mirrored doors.
The breakfast was great, including homemade yogurt, fresh fruit, and homemade baked goods, in addition to a selection of jamon products. Great coffee--made to order espresso with steamed milk.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank JillWEvergreen_CO

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2010

This is my second stay at the property, and we made it our base for our trips outside Madrid. It is located on a small street of Calle Serrano in the Salmanca district, a quick brisk walk to Puerto de Sol, the museums and the shopping areas around Serrano.

The rooms are large, with two beds, and an extra sofa bed if needed. Each comes with a hidden kitchen that has a microwave, a ceramic burner , fridge (with free water and sodas) and a coffee maker.

Rooms are not plush, but very usable. Bathrooms come with simple amenities, and the daily breakfast was an ample spread of Spanish staples -- jamon, tortilla de patatas just to name a few choices.

The staff was great -- Julio, Martin at the front desk, and the bar guys are always very atentive.

I would recommend this place if you are not fussy. Wifi comes free, which is great as well.

I recommend this for those with families.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank monchef
Leuven, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2009

* very large rooms (even with kitchen behind sliding doors)
* friendly staff
* free wireless internet (after asking for your code at reception)
* amazing breakfast with lots of choice, very fresh
* large cosy terrace outside (patio), where you can have breakfast and dinner
* since Madrid is a city you want to SEE, walking shouldn't be a problem: 5 min. walk to metro, 15 minutes to all important attractions.
* a PLUS: you are in the centre, but in a quiet street, so no noise at night!
* Super value for money
* dinner at the hotel restaurant is ok, but there's many better and cheaper restaurants in an area at a 10min. walk

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AnSophie
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2009

We spent two weeks in Spain. We started out in Barcelona, and ended our trip going south, all the way to the southern most area of Tariffa. We spent two separate times at this hotel and enjoyed both visits. The staff was incredible, and the room was fit for a king. We spent our first visit there as a stopping point for a day trip to see Toledo (by train). When we were in Toledo, I sprained my ankle and when we returned late, the front desk manager asked if I was OK. I told him what had happened, and by the time we got to our room, someone had showed up with ice and aspirin for me. I would highly recommend this hotel, the only negative was the price, but considering Madrid, I'm sure it was fairly priced, especially being in the best part of Madrid.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Port Townsend, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2009

We stayed at the Jarden de Recoletos 4 nights last fall and it was just right for us. The location is optimal for musuem/art lovers (especially the Prado and the Thyssen) and the access to the Parque de Retiro & several nearby Metro stations. The hotel had great rooms, nice staff and a wonderful garden. The breakfast buffett was also very good.
Minor problems had little to do with the facility itself: there was some nearby construction that hurt the ambience of the area but the hotel itself was quite quiet and nearby tapas and dinner options were a bit limited. But all in all it was a great place to stay.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Perrett-traveler
Salamanca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2009

I live in Spain, but needed a relaxing weekend away from home to catch up on R & R. After researching on the web, I chose this hotel for quietness (I am very fussy about noise), relaxing quality of having a garden and closeness to major Madrid museums--Prado, Thyssen and Reina Sofia. I also wanted a hotel where I could enjoy spending a fair amount of time reading in my room, so the room had to be pleasant and comfortable. This hotel lived up to my expectations and more.

My room--311--was very big, with everything needed: window with small balcony looking over the garden, with lots of sun in the afternoon. There was also a sitting area with a small sofa (pull-out, I checked) right next to a kitchen area (fridge w/ complimentary beverages, stovetop, microwave, sink and some dishes). The kitchen area was nicely hidden behind mirrored folding doors. In addition, for writing or using computer, there was a desk designed for two people to work at the same time. The room was incredibly sound-proofed. If I opened the balcony window, I could hear the splash of the garden fountains (so nice!) and voices from the garden terrace. When I closed the window, these sounds completely disappeared. I was here in fall, when people were not eating out in the garden, but this sound-proofing would be important in summer. The room was tastefully decorated in a combination of blue and yellow.

Bathroom was very nice and big too, with long tub for soaking. It was nicely supplied with toothbrushes, etc.

In terms of what the room included, my only complaint would be the lack of radio. There was a tv, whose remote control said "radio", but when I clicked on this feature, I got a message on the tv screen saying there was no radio feature. A call down to reception confirmed this.

If you are looking for a hotel close to Sol, i.e. the busy shopping center of Madrid, this is probably not the place for you. Sol is about 30 minutes walking distance (and much of the way uphill). If you like to walk, this is fine---even nice to stretch your limbs--and you do not have to go through sketchy areas to walk to the center. And if you are looking for a hotel that is removed from this noisy, crowded and touristy area, yet within walking distance of the major art museums I mentioned above, this area is ideal. The hotel is 3 minutes away from the Paseo de Recoletos (ideal if you are coming from Chamartin train station---just take the "tren de cercanias" to Recoletos, get off and walk). It is 10 minutes walk from the Prado, and 20 minutes walk to the Retiro (major Madrid park). The Casa de America (for those interested in all to do with Spanish America) is 5 minutes away. As I mentioned above, Sol and the Gran Via area is about 30 minutes walk. Check into the subways with the reception staff.

Breakfast is sublime! An enormous spread, with hot and cold food for all tastes. The home-made yoghurt is incredible. You eat looking out on the central garden.

I didn´t need much from the staff, but whatever my questions were, they were unfailingly polite and helpful. I heard reception and also a waiter speaking English with some guests and their English seemed to be fine for basic communication.

Although I went alone one night, and my husband joined me the next (his opinion was equally favorable), I think this hotel would be good for bringing children because of the space, the kitchen and the soundproofing.

Price: I reserved at the last minute, directly with reception, and the price I paid was 138 euros (including VAT tax) for single occupancy. The night my husband stayed, we paid
approx. 10 euros more.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank Marinael
Southampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at the hotel for four nights.

It was down a quiet side street off of a very busy main road with an awful lot of roadworks going on so were worried that it was going to be really noisy but were pleasantly surprised that it wasn't

Initially arrived, reception was quite small and the receptionist was taking ages with the customer in front, when you are tired and have been travelling you just want to get to your room. Was feeling a bit irritated but then realised when he dealt with us that it was just his way and he was really helpful and thorough. In fact during our stay the reception staff were very helpful.

The room was surprising, think I was expecting it to be small but it was lovely and spacious, smashing bed, and some attractive mirrored wardrobe (I thought) doors, could be pulled back to find a very well equipped and clean little kitchenette with microwave, big fridge, sink and 2 ring hob. We hadn't planned on cooking ourselves but did feel it was a bit of a bonus and could save you some money if you did want to. The room had a nice little seating area with a coffee table and settee. Small juliette balcony overlooking the garden but as we were only on the first floor we could see more of the ground floor extension. We noticed speakers set into the walls and realised we had a radio as well which was nice.

It also had a small but well kept garden and it was pleasant to come back after sightseeing and enjoy a glass of wine, which was generally very cheap.

The hotel is situated in a nice quite location that, although it's not right in the centre, we still didn't find it too far to walk to all of the attractions. We only got a taxi a couple of times and the metro a couple of times.

We found the Metro on the whole safe but my boyfriend was pickpocketed on the Metro when we went back to the airport, luckily we managed to get the wallet back. We had our cases so obviously looked like tourists, but a word of advice would be to make sure you don't have your valuables where they can easily be spotted and taken and if people jostle you or block your way on an otherwise fairly empty train or station, check your belongings immediately.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple