“In dire need of a refurb”

Espahotel Plaza Basilica
Ranked #298 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Madrid, Spain
“In dire need of a refurb”
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I ended up staying here as it was on my company's list of approved hotels. I really wish it wasn't.

The apartment itself is quite spacious, and the staff were very helpful and friendly, but that's about where the plus points stop.

The rooms smelled of smoke, the kitchen was far too small (in a cupboard), the sofa really uncomfortable, and everything, from the walls, to the carpet, to the furnishings was the same shade of beige... very strange choice... there had been an attempt to paint the furniture in the living room the same shade of beige, but it was peeling off and very very ugly.

There was mould in the bathroom, around the bath. The air-con was so noisy that I just turned it off as I couldn't sleep, but then froze as it was so cold (it was winter).

I choose to stay in aparthotels as they are like a home away from home, and as I travel a lot for work, this is important for me. This place felt like dirty cheap hotel.

I moved out and into a proper aparthotel as soon as I could. If you are going to a football match at the Bernabeu, then this place would probably be fine - it is fairly well located for that area. Otherwise, I would avoid it.

Room Tip: Aparently there is a garden - I'd ask for a room overlooking it so that you are away from the no...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank CitySlave

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I just returned from an amazing trip on Geo Holiday. I had a dream trip to Spain. Everything was superb! I’ve used Geo Holiday for the last 4 years and I was never disappointed! But this time, I have to say that it exceeded all my expectations! There wasn’t a thing lacking! Hotel is in perfect location. The employees provided superb service and were very polite. The room was huge and it had the perfect view. The food was delicious. Geo Holiday is an excellent choice!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank sam m
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Went to Madrid for a couple of days for business and stayed there as my usual hotel was full on these dates.
The room was quite small and the bed tiny. More annoyingly the bathroom was not super clean. The worst thing was that I got a smoking room, despite booking non smoking, and the staff told me they could not change it. The smell was awful.
On the good side my room was on the top floor which meant a HUGE balcony.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 May 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 8 days May 14-22nd, 2012. I would absolutely recommend this hotel. I loved everything about it. Its not a 5 star hotel, so dont complain if you get what you pay for. It was our first time in Madrid and this hotel was great for first timers! The staff at desk are soooooooooo helpful. We asked them everything from tours to extra pillows. They were always willing to assist and help out anyway they could without anything in return. The hotel is 30 minutes away from airport(approx 30 euro). We learned the train system(metro) immediately to save money because the taxis are so expensive. The station nearest to us was Alvarado, which was good to walk in daytime. Not safe at night. The hotel is near EVERYTHING! The taxis are right across the street waiting if you ever need them. The metro is close, the bus is closer. All major avenues with shops, supermarket and main places to eat are right around the corner. The hotel itself has a nice kitchen area with all the necessary things to prepare a meal. Refrigerator and small freezer. Make sure to bring dishwasher fluid and sponge, to wash dishes.The air conditioner worked perfectly. The bed was a little hard but Ive had worse. We asked for an extra pillow because it was just not comfortable and were given it in minutes. Bring your own iron because you have to wait to borrow theirs and they wait to give it to others who need it. It was a very low quality iron but it did the job. The housekeepers were wonderful. I never used the room service but it is available. Wifi was GREAT! Good service and was only $20 euros for the whole 8 days! So happy about that as we Skyped our 3 yr old back home frequently. The walls are extremely thin so if youre a light sleeper this will be an issue with neighbors making noise. I felt extremely safe here and did not use the room safe because I felt it wasnt needed. We just had airport safe locks on our luggage and that was sufficient. I loved my stay here and would absolutely stay here again if I ever come back. I would also recommend this hotel to family and friends. Checkout was a breeze, and hasselfree.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SAniahmylove
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2012

stayed at this hotel for few days, in fact it was more like small Nice little flat for a very good price. also have a kitchen in the living room.
reception guys were very nice with perfect french and english. plus the location was great direct line from airport and just one station from puerta del sol

• Stayed February 2012
Jaen, Spain
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel overnight and I chose it because it is near Nuevos Ministerios.

When I arrived, I noticed that, even though it is near Nuevos Ministerios train station, I wouldn't dare walk to the station from that place at 5,30 in the morning. If you have to take an early train, and you are a woman alone, I would recommend something else. In fact, I decided to take a taxi from the hotel to the airport because they have a fixed price : 30 euros.

The receptionists are quite attentive and friendly. The apartments are also nice. They are spacious and comfortable. The problems are that the bathroom, although clean, would need renovation and there's a smell in the apartment which is not pleasant at all. If you open some of the wardrobes, you can smell a funny curry smell. I don't know if the reason for that was that the people in the apartment the night before had cooked curry, but it should be 'cleaned' before allowing another client in.

the kitchen is nice, and it has the necessary things to cook.

There's no free Internet access.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Stayed in an apartment at this hotel,first impressions on entering reception were quite favourable.The apartment at first glance appeared OK,it was clean enough and quite spacious.On closer inspection after unpacking,things began to appear that should have been very apparent to the regular staff in charge of the hotel.There were 3 loose electrical wall sockets which could be rotated by hand several degrees either way,one of them was actually hanging out of the wall showing bare wires,a potentially dangerous and fatal flaw.Two of the table lamps had faulty switches,they decided to work when it suited them,another potentially fatal flaw.The heating system had no temperature regulation switch,it originally did but had been broken off at some point and never replaced,the noise from the blown air heating was so noisy you could scarcely have a normal conversation,as for leaving the heating on overnight,forget it,sleep would have been impossible due to the noise.The bathroom door had faulty catches and wouldn't close properly,the lamination on the door was also peeling away at the bottom,all very tacky.The hairdryer in the bathroom had a hose that was almost split in two rendering it inoperable,no air reached the business end,all very tacky.The shower head didn't work properly and leaked water everywhere instead of through the jets,all very tacky.The whole apartment needed ripping out and refurbishing.For this hotel chain to be charging people good money for neglected,tacky rooms is criminal and completely disrespectful.These faults were pointed out to management whilst there,but whether they'll do anything is anybody's guess.The worst hotel I've ever stayed in,and I've paid a lot less and had much better rooms.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Veritas70

Travellers are raving about these Madrid hotels