“Great Location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #307 of 407 Speciality Lodging in Madrid
Preston, England
“Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2008

Booked Hostal Villar through their own website and our original enquiry was returned same day offering us availability and price.

We stayed for 5 nights and were very impressed with the place. Yes it is basic and you get what you pay for, but it is just somewhere to put your head down at the end of the day. The location is fantastic, just off Santa Ana square where there are endless amounts of bars and restaurants/eating places to go to.It is also close by to all the major attractions that Madrid has to offer.

The room was very clean and the cleaner came in everyday. The staff in reception checked us in really quick and were very friendly.
I was suprised at some of the negative comments about the hostal, we had an enjoyable stay here and no complaints.

I would definitely reccomend this place.

• Liked — Value for money and location
  • Disliked — liked all
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Don081

Business
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2008

My husband and I have stayed at Hostal Villar three times and all of them have been wonderful!!! As most of the other guests express the location can't be beat. It's safe, clean although austere and plain but people for this price... what more you want!!!! The first time I stayed in 1999 when the dollar was still alive we only payed $28.00/night!!! Tell me where in America...not even Motel 6. All our staff were helpful, no ogling or chainsaw scenes... They helped us find food at 1am (not hard in Madrid) and took care of me when I became ill with asthma. The bathrooms are a little small but again, we were never there. We left our luggage for 6 days while we toured in Sevilla to return to find it in the same spot we left it. As far as the elevator, just think of it as an adventure...Better to lug you luggage up the stairs. Can't wait to go back!!!!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — thin towels
  • Stayed February 2004, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mountain View, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2006

My friend and I were looking for something affordable and found this place in the Fodor's guidebook. I've never had problems with recommendations by Fodor's so we went ahead and booked a double room w/bathroom.

First of all, when we arrived (during the afternoon), we got into the old elevator and it would not move. It was one of those old style elevators that have a gate on the outside in addition to the elevator door, which both need to be closed before it will move. We secured both doors and pressed the button but the elevator would not budge. We then tried to get out but the gate on the outside would not open! It was locked b/c the elevator was still thinking it was "in use" mode. We were literally stuck in the elevator and trying to get out for a while when a lady came into the lobby. She tried to help us out but couldn't either. So she took the stairs up and said she would get help from the Hostal receptionist man. We waited and waited...nobody ever came.

Finally after a long time, the elevator released the lock and we were able to get out and we just dragged our bags up the stairs, where we met the lady coming down. She said the guy was not able to help us. We were kind of miffed that the guy didn't even at least come down to try or talk to us! We were guests of the hostal afterall...

When we finally got to the receptionist desk, the guy at the front desk seemed a bit sleazy. There were two other young women in the lobby while we were there and my friend witnessed him checking out their rears with an appreciative look, to put it mildly.

One big issue was he told us it was cash payment only. So we paid him in cash, which was a mistake on our part. We should have asked to see the room first. But we were so tired from our long journey we just wanted to get up to the room for a shower and nap. Later, we would discover that there was a credit card machine right there at his desk!

The room turned out to be disgusting! Mold in the closet and shower. The shower curtain reeked of mold. I am very allergic to mold, so this was a problem for me. The toilet seat was broken so that when you sat on it, it kept shifting beneath you. This was especially a problem b/c the way the toilet is situated in the very small bathroom, there is no room to sit straight forward on the toilet. You had to sit with your legs to the side which made the seat shift around.

I also wil concur that this place is very very noisy. You could hear a pin drop in the hallway, even if you had your door closed. The door was very flimsy, and the lock to the door was pretty questionable. The hallway had hardwood floors which echoed off the ceilings trememndously.

When we asked the guy if there was another room we could switch to with less mold because of my allergies, his response was to tell us to just "throw away" the shower curtain.

This was our first time staying in a hostal in Spain, so we weren't sure if this was just typical of hostals in general compared to hotels. So we looked up other recommended hostals in our guidebook and went to check them out, asking if we could see a room. We checked out a double w/bathroom at the Hostal Santa Cruz and what a difference! For the same price the place was so much nicer. It even had A/C, which Hostal Villar does not (you have to pay extra for it).

We ended up deciding to move to the Hostal Santa Cruz instead. Of course, we could not get our cash payment back from the guy at Hostal Villar. We asked him why he asked for cash up front and didn't even give us a receipt (we realized that later on that he never gave us one). He claimed that the machine was broken. Even if it was, he should have explained that to us from the beginning.

Anyway, the lesson we learned was to always ask to see the room before you give your payment, even if you've made a reservation. And don't stay at this hostal.

• Liked — The location was pretty good - close to a nice plaza and metro stop
  • Disliked — Not very clean and unfriendly staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask to see the room first before you pay.
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled with friends
3 Thank littlecaesar

Travellers are raving about these Madrid hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2006

My friend and I stayed at the Hostal Villar the 19th and 20th of June. Had a smidge of an issue finding the place, but of course, that's not really the hotel's fault, although, beyond telling you which metro stop to get off at, there's no info on the website to tell you in which direction to go (would have been helpful!!).
As other reviewers have noted, the location is spot on. Even some of the locals we met said that we couldn't have picked a better spot. Possibly a better hotel, though. The place was clean enough. No problems there, but very basic. And I expected that. But, to me, there's a fine line between ultra-basic and militant...this was approaching militant, slightly shabby militant. We had a double room on the 3rd floor (328). The window opened into a service chute between our hotel and an adjacent building. Had I understood Spanish, I would have gotten all the intimate details of the neighboring family's life, as I could not only hear their conversation, but could hear the scraping of the forks against the plates as they ate dinner--my window opened right onto their kitchen window--4 feet max. Had to keep the window open, wel, because it's June in Spain, and there was no AC.
I wouldn't have minded so much, because ordinarily I wouldn't have been in the room. But, I fell ill with food poisoning, so I was bed/bathroom-ridden for 2 days. And, since I was spending so much time in the room and, more appropriately, on the bathroom floor, I regretted not springing for a nicer place. But, oh well!
The night person at the desk was a gem. He was so helpful, depsite our language barrier--he helped get to a hospital and made sure to check on me and my roommate. However, the man that works during the day is a rude pain in the, well, you get the picture.
Bottom line, it's okay. We were going for cheap. We got cheap. But, we also got a room that looked like an army barrack, a bathroom with no soap, and an interior atmosphere that looked like a scene in a movie where the crazy guy with the chain saw was going to hop out at any moment (if you've been there, you understand.)
But...it was cheap, it served it's purpose, and the location was awesome.

• Stayed June 2006
2 Thank tcgirlie
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2005

Stayed in a double with a bathroom for 44 euros a night on a Thurs and Fri night. Didn't notice any noise at all. Calle Principle is a very busy street and the location is great, right next to Plaza Santa Ana, which has lots of bars and restaurants. The bathroom was small and I had some problems getting the shower to work. The furnishings are worn and old but for the price... Overall the room was clean and if you want a very cheap room this is not bad.

• Stayed September 2005
1 Thank NY_Sam
chicago, illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2005

I believe sleeping in the metro would have been quieter. Granted, we stayed on a Saturday night, and perhaps a weeknight is less crowded, but people were coming in until 6 or 7 a.m. with all the accompanying hallway and other noise (there are communal bathrooms in the hallways). When we checked out at 8:30, it appeared some people had spent the night sleeping in the lobby. The average age of the guests appeared to be 21. This is the place to stay if you want to stay out all night and party; if you plan on sleeping more than a few hours, forget it.

1 Thank jackson10856
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2004

Basic rooms, decoration could be refreshed, the first room we had was smelly and awful, but we asked for a change and they kindly changed the room. The second one was good, with TV, air cond, and bathroom. A good value, near everything (but what hotel in Madrid isn't?). There is so much hotel in this town!

NB: the bathroom is rather small, so, you may have to sit in an unorthodox position to do your business!