“Great Location, Great Value for Money”
Review of Hotel Francisco I

Hotel Francisco I
Ranked #63 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Malta
“Great Location, Great Value for Money”
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Stayed in this hotel for 5 nights during the New Year's celebrations. Before arriving at the hotel I was a bit wary due to some of the comments that I read on this sight. However, I must say that the hotel was exceptional, especially when you consider the price we paid during such a busy period. The only negative would be the noise in the street, which was loud, especially since we were staying on the first floor. However, to be honest, I managed to sleep through it without any problems but my friends did complain about it. The rooms were very tastefully decorated and the beds very comfortable. Great bathroom too! But the best feature of this hotel is undoubtedly its location, which is right in the heart of Madrid, just a 2 min walk to the main piazza, Plaza del Sol. As a result, we hardly needed to use the metro! Breakfast was basic but satisfactory. Overall, a great find in Madrid with great value for money!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter. If not, choose a room on the top floor to minimise noise levels.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Buu_8

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 10 January 2012

I stayed in Francisco I for 5 nights mid -December 2011, in a clean and modern 2nd storey room with a most comfortable bed, a buffet breakfast and a flat screen TV with plently of channels, a nice mini-balcony, in the centre of the city, with very helpful staff that could all communicate through English. There was a perfectly adequate buffet breakfast. The noise from outside was annoying, especially given that this was mid-week mid-December, so if you like a quiet time ask for a room at the back--unfortunately these only make up a small percentage of the rooms. Also there is no bar or cafe service other than the breakfast, although there is a tea/coffee and a soft drink vending machine just off the lobby. 7/10

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank PaulGalway
Manchester
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I couldn't have asked for a better hotel and enjoyed it so much that I didn't want to leave. Leaving Madrid airport I arrived easily at the hotel in 45 mins by taking the metro. Sol metro station is roughly a 3 minute walk from hotel.
Arriving at the hotel the staff made me feel really welcome when I arrived. I was then lucky to be given a newly furnished room which was decorated to really high standards and really clean. I ended up with a street facing room and am glad I took my earplugs as I probably wouldn't have slept well during the night due to the occasional noisy passers by in the street and the walls between the rooms are a bit thin.
Breakfast was filling and tasty (pastries, bread rolls, toast, ham, cheese and a selection of hot and cold drinks). However I think some fresh fruit and yoghurt would have been a nice addition.
Location is great for shopping, eating out and visiting most of the main attractions and despite being a solo female traveller I felt really safe in this area..Puerta del sol, plaza mayor, gran via, chocolatería San Ginés and the royal palace are just some examples of closely located attractions. I stayed 3 nights and didn't need to take the metro to get around.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are newly furnished. Don't choose a street facing room if you are a light slee...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank StarcrazyAngel
Reviewed 25 November 2011

We stayed in Francisco I for 3 nights and we were enjoying our stay. Clean and modern design rooms, buffet breakfast, high speed internet, great view from a balcony, perfect location in a centar of the city, decent and helpful service by the stuff, great price etc. Highly recommended place to stay in Madrid!

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank crni1985
Miedzyrzecz, Poland
Reviewed 17 November 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights on a short break to Madrid. The hotel itself is in a good location, but that's about the only good point we can describe.

We had room 504 which smelt like something had died in there. There was a constant smell of rotten cabbage and sewage in the room. In order to survive we had to open the window, but it was absolutely impossible to sleep because of the noise. Even if we did close the window, there was screaming and shouting all night, and all night deliveries (banging, clashing). We barely got any sleep for the entire 2 nights, and it completely ruined our holiday.

The walls in the room were paper thin and even had holes in them, we could hear the people next door talking.

The room supposedly had free WiFi, but we couldn't get any signal in the room. We had to go into the hallway or reception to get a signal.

The hotel was under renovation, and there were better rooms. However, the staff said they couldn't move us to another room as the hotel was full. The staff aren't very friendly (apart from the guy on the night-shift).

The breakfast was awful, they only had a small collection of bread, ham and cheese. The coffee was undrinkable (Extremely strong cheap coffee). I know this is a 2* hotel, but it is by far the worst 2* hotel we've ever stayed in.

I highly recommend you DO NOT stay in this hotel. Apart from the excellent location, there is nothing good I can write about it.

Room Tip: Avoid room 504. Although I'm sure all the other rooms are equally noisy.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tony W
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 October 2011

location is fantastic as is the breakfast. stairs are a problem but the guys will carry your bags to the lift if they are around.rooms are refurbished stylishly but ask for a door to the bathroom if you want privacy when you go to the toilet.dont book any activities or tours through the hotel. the tour company they use is chaotic and unreliable. also organise your own tickets to the bullfight- the guy who is losing his hair behind the desk charged us 30e for 11e tickets which we could easily have got on the day. we were told they were hard to get. it is our own fault for being naive but it reflects badly on the hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a door in the bathroom
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank magda v
England
Reviewed 22 October 2011

This hotel is good value for money and a excellent buffet breakfast, the staff are polite and helpful and we had a refurbished room on the second floor with balcony, it was noisey but we did realise it would be in the area it was, close to underground and all shops ,tapas bars and local attractions, so it was a perfect location for a 4 day city break.
We took the 2 euro bus from the airport which was again good value for money and runs 24 hours a day, then a short ride on the underground to the hotel.
Only thing the hotel room lacked was a full length mirror in the room, apart from that it had all you would need.

Room Tip: If a light sleeper mention it so you could possibly get a room at the back.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple