“Nice but old”
Review of Hotel Francisco I

Hotel Francisco I
Ranked #64 of 437 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel was in center of madrid and near to attractive places, they have friendly staff, the breakfast was good, the rooms have old furniture, cleaness wasn't bad, and the view was nice
It's near to the royal palace and the most important places.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Khaledov0508

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I must admit, it's very rare in Europe when you are booking 2 star hotel, but getting 4 star hotel quality instead:) That's basically summaries my experience with this hotel.
The hotel is Very close to Plaza del sol, making it the most convenient location in Madrid.
Our room was newly renovated with the modern twist, windows were sound proof, so not much noise from noisy street. The rooms were thoroughly cleaned everyday.
I highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank SuperJasmine
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Firstly, the location of this hotel couldn't be any more perfect, we couldn't believe it when we got there. It's right by Puerta del Sol, and is a stones throw away from gran via. It's also right by two main metro stations - Sol and Opera - so it's really easy to get to further away places if you need to.

Our room was beautiful. Really modern, the beds were comfortable with nice sheets, and the bathroom was huge, with a really spacious shower. Everything was very clean. Air conditioning worked brilliantly. I like to sleep with lots of covers on, and could easily do so with the air con turned right up.

The only thing that brought down our score was breakfast. It was mediocre at best. Whilst we accept that not everywhere does breakfast like the English, the bacon had more fat than meat, and the hot water for the drinks was only warm. The only thing I really enjoyed about the breakfast was the pre packaged yoghurts. Because of this, we only ate breakfast in the hotel 2 days out of 6.

We have absolutely no other complaints about the hotel, it was really lovely. Staff were friendly, and it was absolutely brilliant value for money.

Room Tip: If you're not planning to stay out all night, ask for an inside room. We did and we're glad...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The hotel is very good: big and nice rooms, beautiful design, good breakfasts, nice view to the church from the balcony, very big and comfortable double bed. The hotel is located in pedestrian area, near the main places and metro.
The minor negative things: 1) washbasin was a bit jammed with some contamination, the hotel staff didn't fix it properly after our requests (maybe due to some misunderstanding); 2) the receptionist was a bit surly or even sad. Still these things were very minor and our impression of the hotel remains very good. We would recommend it and would like to stay in it again.

Room Tip: If you are travelling by car and plan to leave it in underground/covered parking, there is one close...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My daughter and I stayed in this hotel for five days then stayed for another night three weeks later to take our flight back from Madrid to the U.S.

The hotel is located very conveniently close to two main metro stations- Opera and Sol. It is also walking distance to the Opera, Palacio Real, Plaza Mayor, the Prado, and Plaza Santa where we saw an awesome flamenco dance show. Ole. My daughter immensely enjoyed its proximity to the Chocolateria San Gines where one can enjoy chocolate con churros and the many rebajas at El Corte Ingles, etc.

We stayed at Room 210 which was sparklingly clean with crisp white sheets and a clean and modern bathroom. It could get noisy at night but it did not bother us that much. We were always happily tired from our sojourns in the city that we always slept like a log anyway.

The breakfast was alright: scrambled eggs, yummy spanish bacon for non-vegetarians, pastries, boxed cereals, juices and hot coffee. They could offer more fresh fruits, though.

There were many receptionists who were in attendance on different days but I would like to give a special mention to Emilio who gave us a discount and accommodated us. There was also a bellhop whose name I failed to remember, but he was very helpful, cheerful and escorted us to our room and informed us about other services the hotel has for us. And to all the Filipino workers and other crew members who were always cleaning, scrubbing and polishing the hotel to make their guests' stay special for everyone.

Anyway,, I would definitely recommend this place to my friends and next time, I willI go back with my hubby in tow!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a terraza. Ours had a floor to ceiling window that opens to a balcony which ove...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Had a lovely stay at this hotel with husband and 14 year old son. Got to say though room was tight squeeze for 3 with no real room to move around. Given we were only there to sleep didn't really bother us but may bother others. Breakfast was great with continental selection & bacon scrambled eggs and sausage on offer also. Only down side to this hotel was the noise from outside. We stayed on 5th floor and with window closed could still hear noise into early hours. But then again we stayed Friday - Monday so expect like any other city centre to have this noise alongside bin men emptying bins at stupid o'clock!! (the world cup was also on............)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Super location. Excellent breakfast. Great service. Only moan would be no tea coffee making facility! Definitely stay again and recommend to others. Modern bedroom, very comfortable. Taxi to airport very reasonable.

• Stayed: May 2014