“Fantastic hotel, shame about the view!”
Review of Gran Melia Fenix

Gran Melia Fenix
Ranked #35 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 23 April 2011

The hotel, food and staff were all great, the view from the room was awful. They gave us a room that overlooked what looked like a staff smoking area! Not what I imagined I'd be looking at from a beautiful room in a five star hotel. We only stayed one night!

• Stayed: April 2011
SandraHernandez, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Melia Fenix, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2011

Dear Guest,

On behalf of myself and all the staff of the Gran Meliá Fénix, I would like to thank you for having chosen us for your last stay in Madrid, as well as for your kind comments about the hotel, food and staff; be assured that I will share them with the entire team.

We really appreciate your comments about the interior patio because the opinion of our guests it is very important for us and it help us with our continuing effort to exceed the expectations of our clients. It is a great pleasure to inform you that we are in the process of upgrading our interior patios in order to improve the views of our Deluxe rooms.

Looking forward to welcoming you at The Gran Meliá Fénix.

There are newer reviews for Gran Melia Fenix

Reviewed 1 April 2011

We travel frequently throughout Europe, and this is one of my favorite hotels. It's about a 10-15 minute walk to the hopping centers which was perfect for us because we wanted to be able to sleep at night. The subway can be accessed across the street and is clean, safe & easy to navigate. The bed, linens, pillows, bathroom, toiletries, shower were all top of the line. I can't remember when I have ever slept that well, especially in a hotel. We took a standard room which was a little small but typical European size. The breakfast buffet is outstanding, and the staff are so efficient & courteous. My compliments to Maria, the hostess who keeps a watchful eye to ensure everything runs smoothly. I hated to leave, and returned to the hotel for one last meal before our flight that evening.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
SandraHernandez, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Melia Fenix, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your experience in Gran Meliá Fénix.

It is a real pleasure for us to receive such an excellent feedback. Undoubtedly this is the way to motivate the staff and encourage them to keep on working in the right direction. I will share your comments with the entire team, especially with María, who will be glad to see her name posted on Tripadvisor.

Thank you very much for choosing the Gran Meliá Fénix and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 27 March 2011

It has been an unforgetable stay in Madrid because this lovely hotel. 3 min to the best shopping area and 10 min to the museums.
I loved the service, tranquility and an employee told me the secret: they care a lot the mix between groups and individual travelers...woooww
Really I felt a focus on full service and LHW touch.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
SandraHernandez, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Melia Fenix, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2011

Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for having chosen us for your last stay in Madrid, as well as for taking the time to post your opinion on Tripadvisor.

It has been a great pleasure for us to have you here. We are proud to know that we were able to make your stay enjoyable and that our hospitality reached your expectations.

Your positive comments will help us with our continuing effort to improve the service quality for our guests.

Looking forward to welcome you back to the Gran Meliá Fénix

Warm regards,

Reviewed 14 March 2011

It was our first visit to Madrid and we'd booked for two nights.......... could have easily stayed a week!
We arrived early but not only were we allowed to check in (huge benefit) but we got an upgrade on our room too.
Reception staff (Jesus) were extremely helpful and friendly, and spoke good English.
The room including bathroom was lovely and the black out curtains worked a treat as we slept in on the first morning and missed breakfast.
Hotel bar for a cocktail is worth a visit (much better than Hard Rock Cafe)and whilst pricey at 14 euros I had one of the best Mojitos I've ever had.
Metro is virtually ouside the hotel as is the bus stop for the open top bus tours (17 euros each) alternatively a 15 minute walk gets you into the centre.
The handwritten welcome note from the manager was just one of the things that put this hotel above many I have stayed in - the chocolates helped too! We'll certainly visit Madrid again and definitely stay at Gran Melia Fenix.

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your comments about the Gran Meliá Fénix, which fill us with immense pride. Of course I will share all of them with the staff, especially with Jesús, who will be encouraged by seeing his name posted on Tripadvisor.

We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and we will be pleased to welcome you back!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 13 March 2011

Friendly and efficient staff, well appointed rooms and bathrooms, took dinner in the bar which was limited choice but friendly service. A high end hotel offering a decent price. Very happy to revisit.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind post!

We will be happy to welcome you again too!

Reviewed 11 February 2011

I've stayed at a lot of hotels around the world, including the renowned Connaught in London. This is on par with the best, only at a fraction of the cost. The staff is simply amazing. I would recommend upgrading to their premium rooms, you won't be disapponted. I will happily return to this hotel the next time I want a romantic retreat in Madrid! The only, and I mean the only, negative is their fitness room, it is pathetic. It doesn't even have a full set of barbells. We primarily booked the hotel because we are workout freaks and wanted a hotel with a fitness room and because of the great ratings it received on Trip Advisor. We didn't work out once! That said, I would skip working out to stay here again! If they ever upgrade the fitness room this hotel will then have it all.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
SandraHernandez, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Melia Fenix, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2011

Dear Guest,

On behalf of myself and all the staff of the Gran Meliá Fénix, I would like to thank you for having chosen us for your stay in Madrid, as well as for your warm and enthusiastic comments.

It was so thoughtful of you to take the time to post them on Tripadvisor and let us know that you enjoyed your stay at the Gran Meliá Fénix. Regarding the fitness center, is a great pleasure to inform you that we are going to improve our facilities, I am sure that you will like our new fitness.

We are eager to welcome you back!

Please receive warm regards from all of us at the Gran Meliá Fénix.

Reviewed 9 February 2011

I have stayed there during Christmas with a friend. The hotel is warm and really lovely. Luxurius atmosphere everywhere. The room was a bit small but very comfortable and clean. Very quiet and great sleep quality. One of the few hotels I visited and managed to sleep well without any disturbance from the maids in the corridors and other guests from neighbouring rooms. The room was overlooking Plaza de Colon. Everyday we found a small surprise in the room (chocolates, snacks, fruit, candies, etc.).
Breakfast was amazing with a huge variety of food items.
The staff was wonderful. Excellent service, smiling and welcoming faces.
The location is great, quite central.

I will definitely recommend it to other people.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
SandraHernandez, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Melia Fenix, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2011

Dear Guest,

It is a great pleasure to read your kind post.

I would like to thank you very much for having chosen the Gran Meliá Fénix and for publishing such inspiring and motivating words on Tripadvisor, which will help us with our continuing effort to improve the services quality for our guests.

We are proud to know that you had a good rest and you liked the breakfast and I am delighted with your comments about the staff, do not hesitate that I will share them with the entire team.

Looking forward to welcoming you again to the Gran Meliá Fénix hotel.