“Muy buen hotel!”

Ranked #27 of 444 Hotels in Madrid
San Salvador, San Salvador, El Salvador
“Muy buen hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

Stayed for three nights and we were very pleased with the quality of service, cleanliness and overall installations. Very well located and accessible. Breakfast was average but the rooms were nice, clean and posh. The beds were very comfortable so jet lag was not much of a problem after the long flight.

1 Thank RodrigoQC64
SandraHernandez, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Gran Melia Fenix, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing with us your experience in the Gran Meliá Fénix Hotel.

It has been a great pleasure for us to have you here. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at the Gran Melia Fenix and that you felt so comfortable.

Thank you once again and we hope you come to visit us again soon.

Warm Regards,

Sandra Hernández

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

I've just completed a stay at the Gran Melia Fenix and while the hotel itself was almost faultless, an incident at checkout left me with a sour taste - more on that later.

The hotel is situated some distance away from the more 'touristy' parts of madrid, but very convienently located for shopping enthousiasts. The upscale shopping area around the Calle de Serrano is just around the corner.

The hotel itself is a testament to old world grandeur, with lots of marble, polished brass and staff in long black coats and top hats. The rooms (I had two, one for myself and one for my father) were the basic 'deluxe' type but large enough for single travelers. They were both a bit oddly shaped though, with lots of nooks and corners. In my room, the doors of the wardrobe could not be opened fully because of an angled wall. The bed was comfortable, and a nice touch is the central control panel for all the lights, so that you don't have to get up.
The bathroom was a bit small but with a good shower and all necessary amenities.
If you're sharing a room I recommend taking a larger type.
Even though the hotel is on one of the busiest streets of the city, traffic noise was completely absent.

There is a good cocktail bar that is somewhat of a watering hole for the affluent crowd after a shopping spree. Prices are pretty steep though (7 Euro for a Coke, 7,50 for a beer) even though the hotel itself is not that expensive - I paid about 155 Euro per night through the hotel's own online booking tool. We did not have breakfast at the hotel due to the frankly idiotic pricing: 30 Euro for the basic buffet and if you order a la carte it gets worse: for example, one boiled egg is 8,50 and a fruit salad 12 Euro. I've stayed in a lot of upscale hotels but I've never seen prices like this. There is a deli across the street called Delina's that sells sandwiches and coffee, or you can hit up one of the numerous coffee houses (even Starbucks if you want something well known)

At checkout I was surprised by being charged 176 Euro's worth of services that I did not use: four times the breakfast buffet at 30 Euro a pop, and a space in the parking garage for two days at 56 Euro total.
The staff could not explain how there charges ended up on my bill. I never asked for the breakfast buffet nor did I sign any bill that allowed charging this. As for the parking, this was even more strange since I did not even have a car: I arrived by taxi. In the end it was taken of by bill, but after I paid I noticed that the attendant did not do this correctly and only took off three of the four breakfast charges. After some more fussing this was eventually corrected.

Also, at the time of booking I received a promotion for 20 Euro credit per person/night/room, to be used at the restaurant, bar or room service. This added up to 80 Euro total credit but only 40 Euro was deducted from my bill. It turned out that this credit will only be used if there are actual expenses charged to that room. Since I was paying for both rooms, I automatically had all expenses charged to my room which left the credit for the other room unused. If I had signed one of the bills to another room number I could have saved myself 40 Euro, which left me feeling kind of cheated.

I'm willing to believe that the overcharging was a honest mistake but I do expect a lot more care of a five star property. How can you put items on a bill without even a shred of paper to back them up?? It should not be necessary for me to go over every line of the bill to prevent being screwed out of close to 200 Euro.

So while the stay itself was enjoyable, these issues earn the Gran Melia Fenix a downgrade from Excellent to Average.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank danielkegel
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing Gran Meliá Fénix for you stay in Madrid.

On the other hand, we really apreciate the time that you have taken for tell us about your stay with us because your opinions and comments are helpful to us for improving our service and for achieve our guest satisfaction.

Hoping we will have another opportunity in welcoming you to Gran Meliá Fénix for provide the best of our attention to you.

Best regards,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

I have stayed at the Gran Menia Fenix several times for business (most recently in September 2012).

The hotel has a great location (central, just off a busy street) and very nice decor. It has attentive and helpful personnel (although for some reason checking in for me has always been very slow and a bit of an annoying experience, with staff apparently having to familiarize themselves with the process...). Breakfast is good, with a reasonable variety of choices of food, etc.

The "standard" rooms, while very clean and overall functional, are of different sizes and shapes and in some cases are a bit too small and awkard.

Overall, I would definitely reccomend the hotel, while pointing out than less than ideal.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ElBar72
SandraHernandez, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Gran Melia Fenix, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you very much for having chosen the Gran Meliá Fénix and for publishing your comments on Tripadvisor.

It is a pleasure for us to know that you had a nice stay in our hotel because our principal aim is to give you our best service, make your stay unforgettable and reach your expectations. Your positive comments will help us with our continuing effort to improve the service quality.

Looking forward to welcome you back to the Gran Meliá Fénix.

Yours sincerely,

Sandra Hernandez
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012 via mobile

My family group of ten (6 adults & 4 children) was on a two week vacation to Spain and Madrid was our last stop. Throughout our vacation, we stayed in excellent hotels and enjoyed the warm Spanish hospitality. Our last stop at the Grand Melia Fenix was like the icing on the cake and we ended our visit to Spain with a bang ! Though our first impression of the hotel was that it was a little run down, the hospitality and service was absolutely wonderful and more than made up for the looks of the lobby n front desk.

My family was celebrating two major events with this holiday and though I had written to all the hotels we stayed at, the Grand Melia Fenix was the only one which greeted us with a lovely bottle of Cava wine, a platter of chocolate dipped strawberries and a large tray of candies for the children. The gesture was very touching. The hotel also accommodated our request for a late checkout (as our flight wasn't until late in the night) at no extra cost. Further, breakfast was very sumptuous, our rooms were well appointed, the toiletries in the bathrooms were of an excellent quality and room service responded to every request within minutes. All the staff were extremely courteous and helpful - especially the doormen who got us taxis very promptly.

We were also happy with the location of the hotel - walking distance from Retiro Park and short taxi rides from most Madrid landmarks. The Hard Rock Cafe and Hop On Hop Off Tour stop right next to the hotel made life very comfortable as well. All in all, we had a wonderful stay and would love to return someday.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank MonishaKrishna
SandraHernandez, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Gran Melia Fenix, responded to this review, 9 September 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the staff of the Gran Meliá Fénix, we would like to thank you for having chosen us for your stay in Madrid, as well as for taking the time to post your opinion.

It has been a great pleasure for us to have you here. We are proud to know that we were able to make your stay enjoyable and that our hospitality reached your expectations.

Your positive comments will help us with our continuing effort to improve the service quality for our guests.

Looking forward to welcome you back to the Gran Meliá Fénix.

Warm Regards,

Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

It was an absolute pleasure staying at the Gran Melia Fenix in Madrid. My wife and I chose it as it is centrally located, seemed luxurious but good value and already had some great reviews. We were pleased to discover that it didn't disappoint in any aspect at all.

It is indeed very well located. We took the Metro from the airport which cost just a few Euros, is easy to navigate and delivers you to the Plaza De Colon just two minutes walk from the hotel. The journey from the airport takes about 20 minutes.

Once settled in, the hotel is perfect for exploring all areas of Madrid. Whether you want to visit the Prado, the Retiro Park, the Serrano shops, the Plaza Mayor, the Palace or the Cathedral, all are within a maximum of thirty minutes walk. Alternatively, if you want to explore further afield (or would rather not walk) two metro stations are just nearby.

My wife and I were spending four days over the August bank holiday in Madrid (which also coincided with our wedding anniversary). I had mentioned our anniversary when booking online and was pleasantly surprised when we were congratulated immediately upon arriving at the check-in desk. When we reached our delightful, luxurious room we found chocolate-covered strawberries and a bottle of champagne on ice, with a personal note of congratulations! A very thoughtful touch.

Check-in was very slick and friendly and our room exceeded all our expectations (we'd booked a premium room). The decor was impressively stylish, the room large, the bed beautifully sumptious and the furniture and fittings comfortable and high quality. It would be difficult to imagine a nicer room to stay in. The bathroom was equal to the bedroom with smart, modern fittings with black granite surfaces and Clarins products. We also had a fabulous view of the plaza which made us feel a part of the bustling city.

When we finally turned in after walking for miles around Madrid, we were pleased to find that the curtains completely blacked out the lights from the square and the windows were 100% sound proof. Perfect for a great night's sleep (helped by the extremely comfortable bed!)

Downstairs for breakfast the following morning continued this excellent experience. The public areas including the lounge and bar are fabulously furnished and decorated, feeling more like a comfortable palace than a hotel (indeed, having walked around the actual Palace in Madrid on the second day, the Gran Melia wins hands down!!)

I don't usually enjoy hotel buffet breakfasts as they tend to comprise a bland selection of cereals, pastries and luke warm cooked breakfast. Again, the Gran Melia defied the norm. The food selection was not only vast but we also discovered that everything was high quality and extremely fresh. The fruit selection was excellent, the cereals, cold meats and pastries inviting and the yoghurt was hand made by the hotel. Delicious.

We didn't have the hot food and so can't comment, but given the high standard of the rest of the buffet I suspect the hot food would have tasted equally good. This is the first time I have ever thoroughly enjoyed a buffet breakfast in any hotel I have stayed in throught the world - I actually looked forward to breakfast each morning - a first!

To add to the cosy atmosphere, excellent decor and good value, the staff throughout the hotel were all very efficient and keen to help - superb service which the whole team should be proud of.

If returning to Madrid in the future we would book again at the Gran Melia without reserve - there seems no reason to even consider other hotels. Thank you all for providing us with such a perfect stay.

3 Thank Caesar63
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Gran Melia Fenix. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I would like to thank you very much for having chosen the Gran Meliá Fénix for spend a special ocasion and for publishing such inspiring and motivating words on Tripadvisor, which will help us with our continuing effort to improve the services quality for our guests.

We are proud to know that you had a good stay with us and I am delighted with your comments about your stay, do not hesitate that I will share them with the entire team.

Looking forward to welcoming you again to the Gran Meliá Fénix hotel.

Best regards,

Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

We stayed 2 night in a small interior room but beautifully decorated and furnished. Good breakfast buffet, wonderful ornate dome and stairwell, so much character! Front desk staff very helpful and knowledgeable. Great location, walking distance to park, restaurants & shops. Would definitely recommend.

1 Thank DenCarAtlanta
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind post!!! We are really proud to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We always work hard to meet guest expectations and for us is a pleasure that you have been enjoyed your stay at the Gran Melia Fenix.

Thank you very much again and we are looking forward to welcome you back to your home in Madrid.

Regards,

Pompano Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed there 3 nights and we had two rooms .This is not a 5 star hotel maybe it was 50 years ago.Our rooms were tiny.We had a big closet for a bedroom WITH DE-LUX DRAPES.Dome in the lobby is beautiful .This is not a good location..Overall is not worth the money.WE WILL NEVER STAY THE AGAIN

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank ANNONYMOUS34225
SandraHernandez, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Gran Melia Fenix, responded to this review, 23 August 2012
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We hope to welcome you in the future and provide the best of our attention to you.