“SUCH a disappointment”
Review of Gran Melia Fenix

Gran Melia Fenix
Ranked #35 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I booked this hotel through Fine Hotels and it was SUCH a disappointment. I think I would rank this the worst hotel I stayed in all of Spain, Italy, or France -- even those that were not "luxury" or "fine hotels," were better in my opinion. First, there was a terrible smell in the hotel at all times ... either smoke or smoke covered by horrible cleaning products but I've been in Super 8 hotels that smelled better. It made me sick. The staff didn't go out of their way to be gracious as we would hope. For example, when we went to enjoy breakfast which was included in our wait we were told it would be a significant wait and we could sit in the lobby. I asked if I could have a cup of coffee while I waited, (I was hurting from our tapas tour the night before and needed some Joe)... I was told I could but of course they would have to charge me. Seems ridiculous when I am waiting for an expensive buffet breakfast which includes free coffee.... which, I don't understand at ALL how people reviewed the breakfast as lovely. It was terrible food, really really awful. The girl at check-in acted like she was doing us some sort of favor but that she wasn't happy about it, the valet and door people never said hello or welcomed us, it just wasn't a friendly group. Our rate also included an amenity, (which we always get very excited about) which was a free restaurant credit. Well the hotel informed us we had to use it only at very restrictive hours and it was a pre-fixe meal we did NOT care for at all. The room seemed tattered and old and not in good repair and good lord it was one of the worst mattresses I have ever experienced. Finally, I didn't personally love the location and would have preferred to be closer to the market and other attractions. It was our very first night in Spain so I was really excited and happy so I would have been easy to please. In fact, their sister property in Seville was great -- welcomed us with champagne and a smile, clean rooms, excellent food -- what's the deal with this location? I am not sure how this even remotely qualifies as a "fine hotel," I would stay away.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Molly F
SandraHernandez, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Gran Melia Fenix, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for have given us the opportunity to accommodate you during your visit to Madrid.

We really appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Gran Meliá Fénix, which are such a valuable source of information for us, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and it helps us to monitor the service and the product that we provide.
We regret to know that your stay with us was not pleasant as we wished. Our principal aim is the full satisfaction of our guest and we feel disappointed when we are not able to do.

We will appreciate, if the next time you come to Madrid you may contact me, therefore I will check the details of your reservation and your stay to be assured that you have a memorable experience in our hotel.

Looking forward to having this occasion soon, I remain at your complete disposal.

With our best regards,

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Stayed there during Jan., as I was attending the FITUR, room space is great, check in/ out time takes only 2minutes, stuff are very helpful and this is rare in europe.

I have two comments concerning breakfast items it has to be more rich and the dinner choices, they have only one resturant and when I get there to have dinner I found no one availabile so I left to Hard Rock,

I like the hotel so much and definitely will be there again

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank sanaa r
SandraHernandez, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Gran Melia Fenix, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for trusting in the Gran Melia Fenix for your trip to Madrid during FITUR.

We really much appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us. We are delighted to know that you enjoy your stay with us and you find our hotel one of the best hotels in Madrid!!

Looking forward to welcome you back soon, I remain at your complete disposal for any further assistance you may require.

With best regards,

Reviewed 29 January 2014

The hotel has a "classic" feel from the lobby to the rooms filled with curtains. While this is normally not my favorite, the GMF seemed to pull it off. I had a Red Level Room and the service there as well as elsewhere was superb.
The check in was over the top and they were ready to help us with anything. The lounge on the Red Level was well stocked. It was a little stuffy/formal, but that fits in with the rest of the hotel.
The short story: everyone we encountered at the hotel was falling over themselves to help us, from the lobby to the custodial staff. They are well trained and friendly and I would stay there again for that reason.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank veffekt
SandraHernandez, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Gran Melia Fenix, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for having choosing The Gran Meliá Fénix during your visit to Madrid.

It is really nice for us to know that you have an incredible experience with us and that you enjoyed our hotel, specially our exclusivity Red Level service.

For all the entire staff of the Gran Melia Fenix it will be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Best regards,

Reviewed 28 January 2014

My wife and I spent three nights in July 2013 for vacation.

Service here is the key. It is in everything they do, and it really shows. The staff will try to accommodate your every request, from printing out a train schedule to restaurant advice. Our room looked out on the main street, and was not noisy at all. Nice outdoor bar. Location is good, right next to a metro stop and many bus stops, and about a 15 minute walk to the Prado museum. Cabs were plentiful and not too expensive for trips to the train station or other parts of town. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alexander S

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire team I would like to thank you for having chosen the Gran Melia Fenix for your summer holidays the last July .

It is a great pleasure to know that you and your wife had a wonderful stay with us. We are delighted to know that we exceed your expectations both with the product and service that we extend throughout the Hotel.
I have shared your feedback with the rest of the team and they were very happy to know that their effort are highly appreciated by our guests.

We hope to see you soon in Madrid and welcome you again in our hotel.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 28 January 2014

This hotel offers superb value in Madrid. It is very conveniently located in the centre of Salamanca incredibly close to Chueca and the city center, the best place to do shopping in Seranno but also close to key business venues. The service was impeccable, everyone in the hotel was smiling from the reception to breakfast room. The rooms are spacious and very elegant - I tried a superior room and it was well worth it. And value for money was excellent. Definitely a place to recommend in Madrid!

Room Tip: Spend the extra bit to go in a spacious superior.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Warpa

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you on behalf of all the Gran Melia Fenix staff for your feedback.

It is a pleasure for us to know that you had a wonderful stay in our hotel. I will share your kind feedback with the entire team in order to let them know how your stay was, because your kind word will be an inspiration for us.

Thank you very much again, we will be very pleased to welcome you back soon.

Regards,

Reviewed 25 January 2014

It was everything a top notch hotel should be. The decor was elegant and although our room was notably small, it was beautifully decorated. We had pleasant dealings with all the staff and very good food in the restaurants and the main lounge for tapas. We stayed here three nights and wouldn't hesitate to come back. Lovely!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Jennifer K
SandraHernandez, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Gran Melia Fenix, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for having chosen us for your stay in Madrid, as well as for taking the time to share your opinion with others travellers.

It has been a great pleasure for us to have you here. We are proud to know that our hospitality reached your expectations and that you have enjoyed a great time in our Restaurant and in the DRY bar.

Your positive comments will help us with our continuing effort to improve the service quality for our guests.

Looking forward to welcome you back to the Gran Meliá Fénix

Warm regards,

Reviewed 21 January 2014

A very nice traditionally decorated hotel. The cocktail bar is a great place to spend an afternoon, with an excellent tapas menu. The room was very comfortable and a good size. 30 euro for breakfast was a bit expensive but a good choice available. Excellent location for culture, the old town, the galleries and most importantly shopping.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lynne A
SandraHernandez, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Gran Melia Fenix, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting your experience in the Gran Meliá Fénix.

We are glad to know that you have had a wonderful stay with us and that you have enjoyed amazing afternoons in our DRY Martini Bar. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our guests because it encourage us to continuously maintain the standards you have experienced.

Looking forward to welcome you in a near future.

Best Regards,