“A.M Belt Amazing hotel! Very friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Gran Melia Fenix

Gran Melia Fenix
Ranked #27 of 445 Hotels in Madrid
“A.M Belt Amazing hotel! Very friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

A super hotel with nice ambience and perfect location.
The room was cleaned every day good bathroom a comfortable bed and good minibar, good breakfast with very friendly staff!
Highly recommended for a pleasant and luxurious stay in the center of Madrid

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Alexa B
SandraHernandez, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Gran Melia Fenix, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your brilliant review regarding your experience at The Gran Melia Fenix.

We really much appreciate the time you have taken sharing your experience with us and with other travellers through TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to read that you had an amazing stay with us and that you appreciated the warm and professional service delivered by the Gran Meliá Fénix team because we work every day to provide to our guest an unparalleled experience.
It will be a pleasure to welcome you back to what we hope you consider your home in Madrid.

Looking forward to welcome back, I remain at your complete disposal for any assistance you require.

Sandra Hernandez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed here two separate times in March. Stayed here before going to Cordoba and after we came back from Cordoba.
We booked the same type of room for two separate bookings but definitely the room we had first stay was smaller than the room we had during our second stay.

The first room we got had an issue with door lock. Door didn't automatically lock if you just close the door as you normally do. We found we needed to close the door with full force, otherwise, the door didn't get lock.
On a second day when we came back to the room, I tried to open without using a key because I had a feeling that a cleaning lady didn't close the door strong enough so the door didn't get lock. I was right. The door was closed but wasn't locked.
I called the front desk right away and explained the issue.
Someone came to fix the lock immediately but the front desk didn't even apologize that our room door wasn't locked after cleaning lady cleaned our room. I felt this happens often as the building is old and front desk wasn't surprised when I explained the situation.

The hotel has a turndown service. We had "do not disturb" sign but around 10pm, the lady showed up to pass us a chocolate. I wonder what the "DND" sign was for.

A room we got for a second booking was much better.

It was a good hotel but due to the issue we had during our first stay, I would probably pick another hotel if we go to Madrid in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Littlesheep
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for have given us the opportunity to host you for your visits to Madrid.

We really appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Gran Meliá Fénix, which are such a valuable source of information for us, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and it helps us to monitor the service and the product that we provide.

We regret to know that your experience with us was not as pleasant as we wished to due to the unusually situations happened during your first stay. Please, let me appologise for the inconvenience that we may cause you.

I will be very glad, if the next time you come to Madrid you may contact me, therefore I will check the details of your reservation and your stay to be assured that you have a memorable experience in our hotel.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

We have stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. The hotel is conveniently located close to the Reccoletos train station, so you would find it handy when travelling from the Airport. It is also a shopping district for designer boutiques, so if you like shopping, this is the place for you.
We were given the room on the 6th floor. The view was probably the worst they have. It was overlooking the courtyard, which is basically just the walls. But it did not really matter, as the room itself was very cosy, with comfortable bed.
The breakfast was very good: the fresh fruit, yogurt, sausages, eggs, different types of pastries. There is something for every taste. I do not understand some previous reviews complaining about breakfast.
Staff was polite and they did speak a very good English. The girls at Reception advised us on what to see and how to get there, they were very knowledgeable.

The only down point for us was, that when we returned in the evening to the room, there was no complimentary water or ice left on Turn Down Service. Working myself for the Leading Hotels, I found it very strange, as this is should be the minimum standard. And when we did called to request ice, we were charged 5 Euros! For a 5* hotel, I think it is wrong, specially being in Spain with the temperature +26 outside.

I will definitely stay here again if I have a chance and would recommend the place to my friends.

Room Tip: Ask room with the street view.
3 Thank oxanal
Dear Guest,

Thank you for chosen the The Gran Melia Fenix on your recent trip to Madrid based on the reviews you read on the site.

I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that our location and breakfast meet your expectations. We want that our guests have a memorable experience and I am thrilled to know that we did this for you.

On the other hand, and regarding your comments about your room, please let me inform you that we have different categories of rooms and we will be very pleasant to show you next time you come to Madrid. In addition, and regarding your comment about the complementary ice, please let me inform you that we have taken note of your suggestion in order to improve our service and achieve our principal aim which is the full satisfaction of our guest.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future visit.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of assistance and thank you for recommending us.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Excellent hotel all round.
Great location. Walking distanced to major historical sites. Excellent shopping and restaurants very close.

Clean hotel. Excellent condition.
Room comfortable. Excellent facilities. Hotel prides itself in the little extras that make you stay.

Breakfast excellent. Best we've had. Many choices, good quality food.

Helpful and attentive staff.

Definitely will stay again.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank GourmetTraveller911
SandraHernandez, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Gran Melia Fenix, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor regarding your stay with us.

I am thrilled to know that you were absolutely delighted from the moment you arrived until the moment you left The Gran Melia Fenix. We do take great pride in the service that we provide for our guests and it is very rewarding to hear that our hotel and specially our breakfast was the best you have ever experienced.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future !!!!

New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Lacks the spanish charm factor and more a business style hotel- but nonethelss superb service. They always greeted us with warmth and helped us with finding locations and mailing out postcards.

A little steep on prices, but we LOVED LOVED LOVED this location. We ended up finding the streets on both sides had some of the best restaurants, bars and shopping in all of Madrid. The furthest walk was 30 minutes to reina sofia.

They did say in order to get a knife and fork sent to our room it was 5 euros- which seems silly, but we figured it out in the end.

super clean- and nice to come back to a clean cool hotel after a hot day of walking around and exploring Madrid!

Loved Rodrigo- so nice!

Room Tip: Try to get access to the red room floor- no other floors are allowed access. we were denied.
1 Thank kobawalp

Greetings from Madrid!!

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your stay in the Gran Meliá Fénix on Tripadvisor.

I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me to monitor the service we provide. Be assured that we have taken note of your comment in order to improve our product and service.

On the other hand, we are delighted to know that we exceed your expectations and that you have a wonderful stay with us. I have shared your feedback with the rest of the team, specially with Rodrigo, who was very happy to know that his work have been highly appreciated for you.

Looking forward to welcome you back, I remain at your complete disposal for any assistance your require

Best regards,

New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

My family and I stayed at the Gran Melia Fenix from 4/11 - 4/18 and found it to be quite charming. We had two connecting rooms in the Red Level. The rooms were plenty spacious for a central city hotel and had great character. Sure, the closet space was limited and the bathroom was on the small size, but I have found this to be the norm for European hotels.

The location is fabulous. Very close to the Metro (which was easy to navigate). Close to bus lines. Easy walking distance to some of the cities nicest cultural landmarks. Near restaurants, shoppes, banks. Nice quiet, safe area.

The hotel does have amenities. There is a workout room (which looked almost brand new), a spacious tea lounge (with an excellent pianist), a superb bar with an outside terrace, restaurants and a spa. As noted, there is no pool. But, I can't think of any city hotel containing a swimming pool. In my opinion there was plenty to do inside the hotel.

As I stated, we were Red Level guests. As such we had private concierge service and a private lounge on the 7th floor offering a variety of services such as breakfast, beverages, tapas & newspapers. We couldn't have been more pleased with the Red Level service. The friendliness and help from the staff was incredible. They recommended restaurants & day trips, booked excursions and educated us beyond our wildest imagination. They were truly superb. This came as no surprise since they were just as helpful via email correspondence before we even arrived. They made our vacation truly memorable.

As for the rest of the staff in the hotel, we never experienced anything other than professional and helpful service. Whether hailing a cab or asking for directions, the staff was always there for our help.

We will return to Madrid and when we do, we will stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Red Level service
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Steve W
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for choosing the Gran Meliá Fénix for your recent trip to Madrid, as well as for taking the time to share such a nice comments with us and with others travellers.

It was our great pleasure to look after you during your stay. I am pleased to know that our exclusive Red Level Service meet all your expectations. Moreover, I am thrilled to know that you felt welcomed like family, that your every needs were attended for the entire team and that you have never experienced the level of personal service anywhere else. It is a great reward to receive such positive feedback and we are truly grateful!!.

Looking forward to welcome you again in the near future, I remain at your complete disposal.

Kind Regards,

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

This is an interesting place to review for me. First of all, the hotel is nice, old style, clean, good location. The rooms are good sized, the bathrooms are funky. The shower tub is just dangerous trying to get and out is an acrobatic work. The shower needs a soap holder. The AC is very noisy in the rooms, and not very cool.
The reason for the 3 stars is that for this price, there are No amenities. I mean, nothing. They have this Red Carpet service I was not a part of, but without amenities for the general hotel, I think this is a terrible idea. I mean, there is no place to sit, eat, no terrace, shops, pool, no nothing. Only if you have the Red Carpet service. Seams like if you can't provide amenities, maybe the " Red Carpet" idea should be incorporated into the general hotel for all guest. It's, not like the hotel has the depth of service to create a dichotomy of luxury. I recommend another place unless you get Red Carpet.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
SandraHernandez, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Gran Melia Fenix, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to host you during your trip to Madrid!

We really much appreciate your feedback regarding your stay because our principal aim is the full satisfaction of our guests. For this reason, we regret to know that your stay at the Gran Meliá Fénix was not as pleasant as we wished.

On the other hand and regarding your comment, we would have loved that you would have enjoyed our Dry Martini Bar and Terrace, the Tea Time with life music, our Restaurant Epoque, our gym or our new and amazing Thai Room Wellness. We deeply recommend you our Red Level, but if you are not interested in join it, for your next visit to Madrid I will be delighted to show you personally all the facilities that we offer to all of our guests.

Looking forward to welcome you back, and provide you with our best, I remain at your complete disposal for any assistance you require.