“great place”

Ranked #371 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
toronto,on
“great place”
Reviewed 27 April 2011

I would stay there again. very nice and great customer service. The location was great and very convenient. The rooms were a bit small but I only went there to sleep as there is so much to see around. I wish I was there more than 2 nights.... I was treated very well from the staff. The room was very clean. I loved Spain in overall and there was not much to complain. Rather there was nothing to complain at all. I loved my stay for two nights at the hotel. There were lots of places to eat around the hotel. The breakfast place next door was awesome and you could walk out at 2am in the morning and still feel very safe around. Location was great and the atmosphere was awesome. I would definitely go and stay there again and again and again

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank sanjitaa

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Greek first
houston
Reviewed 9 November 2008

This is the third time we have booked our reservation at this great location hotel! We love the accomodations. The staff is friendly and best of all they do remember frequent visitors. The breakfast is adequate but if you are nice to them they do go out of their way to make a great meal for you, they really will!
We have recommended this hotel to all of our friends that have made their way to Madrid and they have loved the accomodations. Great location, the rooms are clean, sure the streets are a little noisy, ask for an inside room.
This is a terrific establishment. We highly recommend this Hotel, and we will make reservations here again.

• Liked — friendly staff, close to eveything, able to walk
  • Disliked — smaller rooms, but not too bad
  • Stayed March 2005, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank HoustonAnthony
austria
Reviewed 4 June 2005

I live in Europe and a friend informed me she would be in Madrid about a week, so I looked for a hotel that would accomodate our budgets. I found the Hotel Paris by the Internet, and got what I believed to be a good deal.

The pluses: very central location: in the heart of the city, and within 2 or 4 kilometers of countless atractions.

The minuses: The staff is impolite and at times disrecpetful, the room was old, the bed was smelly and the mattress was the worst I have ever seen (and I have stayed, for instance, in small hostals in South America), and since we had the "discount" weekly rate, the room was not cleaned the entire time we were there. I would have appreciated it if at least it had been clean when we arrived. It was not. We did get one clean (I hope) small and old towel each, and these towels no longer could even absorb water so we requested extra ones.

The included breakfast consisted of 1 type of bread, 2 types of rolls, tea, coffee, and the most acidic orange juice (I still wince when I remember it). My companion requested a single slice of cheese each day to go with the bread, and the waiter did bring this wihtout a fuss. The sound insulation between rooms is nonexistent, to the extent that you can hear not just your neighbors, but also several rooms in each direction. Anytime you were in the room, for instance, for sleep, you could hear the full assortment of sounds a big citiy has to offer: honking, screeching, crashing, shouting, bottles breaking, screaming, etc etc, even it you had the window shut.

Upon checking out, we had an extra 63 Euro (plus tax) included with the bill. I asked what was being paid for, and was informed that the "extra towel" fee was 5 Euro per day (we had not been informed of that before), and that we had spent 4 Euro each breakfast beyond what was included. When I tried to politely explain that a) we were led to believe that the single (and rather thin) slice of cheese was understood to be free, and b) that even if we did have to pay, that 4 Euro for 5 grams of cheese came out to 800 Euro per kilo, the man at the desk called over the staff and had them surround us to try to intimidate us. I did the math, and offered to split the difference just to get out of that dump. The man accepted and even had the gall to say that as I could see, customer service was the number one priority this hotel and that he expected me to recommend it to all my friends.

In all, we had one noisy week with horrendous service, a depressing room, and awful breakfast (complete with the most expensive cheese in Madrid or anywhere), and....oh please, just stay somewhere else!

Subsequently, I have been able to find other hotels in Madrid for the same cost or less, so if you are reading this I urge you to keep looking. This hotel is not the one for you!

• Stayed June 2004
46 Thank lorero
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 March 2005

The location of this hotel is amazing -- literally just a few steps from the very heart of Madrid (the Puerta del Sol). Many of Madrid's main streets flow right into this plaza, and the Hotel Paris is on one of them just a few yards from the plaza itself. Easy accessibility to sites, shops, the metro, internet cafes, and restaurants. The last time I was in Madrid, I stayed in another location which is probably only about a 15 minute walk from Sol, but honestly staying in such a great, central location this time made a huge difference in my experience, because you rarely have to deal with figuring out public transportation and fiddle with maps a lot less too.

The inside of the hotel is fine as well. Lots of golds and reds and dusty pinks, kind of reminds me of an "aged luxury" look -- like out of an old movie or something (granted, less posh than Hollywood, but you get the idea of the decor.) Bathroom and shower clean and working fine, TV in the room receiving channels in multiple languages (including CNN), phone, plenty of chairs and table space too. Some of the shelves and drawers didn't look very well cleaned, as they were really dusty when I tried to put things in them, but overall the room looked aged but well taken care of. The front desk also speaks English, which is a big plus.

I am a backpacker in college right now, so the only downside to the hotel is that it was far more expensive than the other places I have been staying. However, I didn't feel like it was a waste of money at all (paid 83 euros/night for a two-person room) given the amenities we received -- and we got a fantastic view from the balcony of the Puerta del Sol.

I would say that if you are not at all concerned about location, definately save your money and stay somewhere else -- but if you like easy accessibility to Madrid, this is a great, relatively cheap place to stay. I wouldn't have paid 83 euros for this room if it was 15 minutes away.

• Stayed March 2005
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 January 2005

I stayed at Hotel Paris when I was part of and Elderhostel tour package (I'm 51). I'm going back to Madrid this June and am in the process of making reservations via fax. It's nothing fancy or modern, but it's clean, safe, and right on Madrid's central Plaza del Sol. I'm giving it an above average rating because, for the price (90 euros for 2 twin beds), it was a great find. I found the people at the front desk to be friendly, capable and willing. Taxis and busses are right outside the door.

12 Thank Debbie1153
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 4 January 2005

I stumbled on this hotel one late night by accident when I had to make a quick, unplanned trip to Madrid and had no hotel reservations. It was quite a pleasant surprise. The location is, of course, fantastic right off the Gran Via and Plaza del Sol. Considering the low price, I was surprised how spacious my room was as well as how clean and modern the bathroom was. The breakfast was your typical European hotel fare and the lobby is a bit too dark for my taste, but overall this hotel is a charming place for those on a budget. One note: This hotel, like many Madrid hotels, has no parking facilities. However, there are several public carparks within easy walking distance.

15 Thank James R
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 10 March 2004

Hotel Paris is a great place to stay. It is in the central square of Madrid and within easy walking distance to many of the tourist places you'd want to go. Our room was a decent size with a private bath. It was very clean and comfortable. We had a fantastic view of the square from our window. For comfort, convenience and price, I would stay here again.

13 Thank lprasz