Hostal Armesto
Hotel Catalonia Plaza Mayor(Madrid)
US$173
US$226
US$385
US$348
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I stayed here with a couple of my friends and we all enjoyed it. The staff were very nice, the room was basic, but adequate. All the positive reviews that I read on Trip Advisor were true.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Really good value for the location, friendly owner, nice rooms and such homy feeling! Been twice and would definitely go back!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2012

The thing to remember about this hostel is that it is located right in the centre of Madrid and only costs 40 euros a night... So you're not going to get luxury. What you do get is a clean, no frills place to stay. Good points: price; location; cleanliness; en suite bathroom. There is also a supermarket just a couple of doors away*. Bad points (niggles really): quite difficult to get hold of reception, I had to ring the doorbell a couple of times at one point; no plugs in the bathroom; very thin walls and very noisy neighbours; no kettle; rubbish pillows (felt more like a folded blanket than a pillow). BUT if I needed to stay in Madrid for next to nothing again, it's not a bad bet.

*where the lady shop keeper is so incredibly rude it is actually comical.

Room Tip: I stayed in a room without windows and it did get a bit stuffy. So go for a room with a window if you can afford it.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank ppitstop77
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Our family of six stayed here for three nights in a pair of triple rooms just after New Years. It was perfect for us! Don't know if the triples are just larger/nicer than other rooms, but we were quite happy with the decor, etc. and the rooms were next to each other at the end of the hallway, so very quiet. The lobby was very homey looking, but maybe due to the holidays we never saw anyone there except when we rang to check in the first day. This was the wonderful thing about the place--it was so quiet, like our own private hotel. We only saw the desk clerk when we checked in, and on the night before we were to check out, he came to tell us he would not be available early in the morning so very conveniently had us settle the accounts at that time.The rooms were cleaned and made up every day when we returned. No elevators, but this is to be expected in Europe at this type of hotel. No street noise to speak of--it was a perfect stay, at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Possibly the rooms closer to the lobby would be noisier, compared to ours which were at the end of the hallway.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Hotel Armesto was a small, reasonably-priced, well located hotel on a fairly quiet (for a big city like Madrid) street. Very TYPICAL set up with no elevator (located on American 2nd floor but European 1st floor) inside a multiple usage building (another hotel was located on an upper floor, apartments, etc.) Typical entrance . . . often hotel entrances are not that great looking and can look rather shabby. European facades are old . . . but insides can be lovely. Good security with 3 keys . . . outside door lock (not always the case in Europe) as well as hotel entrance and room. Decor was nothing special but clean and comfortable. Renovated bathroom - no soap - but something new to me in European hotels . . . a hair dryer!! ! Small balcony and "French doors." WiFi available but sketchy. We requested a room NOT overlooking the street but didn't get one. Perhaps it was the language barrier. We had little exchange with the proprietors who were lovely but spoke no English. We were there in November so a/c was unncessary. As a long time European traveler (40 yrs) this hotel was typical and fine for sleeping. I am always on a budget and like to meet locals . . . so this hotel was about what I expected . . . and better than others I've stayed at in other large cities. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: I read from one review to request a room overlooking a garden or courtyard. I did but didn't get it. I probably could've said something but frankly forgot about it until later. So request . . and see what happens. I hope you have better luck than we did.
Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family