“Wow-a perfect stay!”

Ranked #299 of 445 Hotels in Madrid
Gainesville, Florida, United States
“Wow-a perfect stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

You cannot ask for better value. This was my first time alone in Spain, and I felt truly safe and comfortable while staying at Jaen. Yes, you must first be buzzed in to the building, but once you're in the third floor lobby, you're greeted by cheery orange walls and incredibly friendly service. The owner went out of his way to make sure I was comfortable even at midnight when I arrived, and as I had forgotten a US outlet converter, he spent many minutes going through his collection to find me one.
I was happy to find a comfy bed, nice TV, wifi connection, and more than enough room for a single traveler. Though I shared a bathroom, my room had it's own sink and shower for my use, which was extremely convenient. Everything was extremely clean and comfortable.
The hotel's location was as incredible as has been said--a few minutes walk from Paseo del Prado, the musuems, Parque del Retirro and more. Only 10-15 from Puerta del Sol and Plaza Mayor, and a few more minutes to the Palacio.
My most appreciative memory of the hostal was my departure. The owner went out of his way to book the airport service the night before my flight--talking on the phone with the people in Spanish and writing everything down for my use. Then, he himself awoke at 6:30 to knock on my door and make sure I was getting ready--an incredible relief as my alarm hadn't gone off! As I rushed downstairs he came after me to carry my suitcase and talk to the driver, going out of his way to make sure I would be at the airport safely. Wow. I was so sorry to say goodbye!

For the price and service, this hostal would have my highest recommendation for anyone looking to have a wonderful adventure in Madrid.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Austin L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Bainbridge Island, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

It was a little hard to find (on the 3rd floor of a building), but once I was there, it was exactly what I needed. Having been on the Camino, I needed privacy, a soaking tub, good shower, good bed, and a clean room. Then the location close to the Passeo Prado, Museo Thyssen, Reina Sofia, shopping in Salamanca, lots of places to eat, and the express bus to the airport - this hotel had it all. The person at the desk was very helpful and helped me who didn't speak Spanish. I would stay there again . . . and I will when I continue the Camino next year.

Room Tip: Rooms on the street side are noisier, but I really enjoy city noises on vacation. I live in an area...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank pasigmond
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

I opted to stay in the city waiting for a plane rather than some faceless airport hotel. The Juan was perfect with a friendly helpful service from the owners, they don't speak much English but we managed fine. The room was comfortable and clean with its own bathroom and toilet. The location is ideal for a quick visit as it is in the heart of the tourist area and surrounded by great bars and restaurants. I hope to return soon.

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Marcus K
Cape Town
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

Very comfortable and helpful staff, no frills and surrounded by a profusion of great tapas and trendy bars and if you can afford the euro prices, smart restaurants. Easy walk to all the museums, Prado one of the best in the world and the Thyssen also. Naval one also, but take your passport!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank CapeTownRhino
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

Jaen is very close to Puerta del Sol, the museums (Prado, Thyssen), and Anton Martin subway stop. Easily walkable (10min) to Atocha train station and Gran Via. Supermarket (Carrefour Express) is nearby on Calle Principe. Incredible service and clean rooms. Pillows are a little hard but that's being nitpicky. Reception was friendly and gave good recommendations. Provided free, detailed map of Madrid. Even let us print out our boarding passes. Everything for a great price.

3 Thank Medstudentbackpacker
Vero Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the H Jaen at least ten times over the past years in my travels to Madrid, always returning. The owners are very nice people, always accommodating and friendly. The location is good in the Las Letras section of Madrid. Cervantes lived across the steet ( a few years ago)! The Hostal is near the Metro and within walking distance of the center. A laundromat is 2 minutes from the Hostal. Having a place like this makes travel to Spain much easier- I never have to think of where to stay when I'm in Madrid.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

This would be five stars had the woman not insisted on charging us twice for the room. We could not argue with her, although we had payed online weeks ago! Cute room, shower is bedside table though just a warning. But no issues, Las Cortes is a less rowdy place right near the Prado and just near enough the Plaza Mayor area without having a lot of tourist spillage Into the area. Remember this is Madrid- people stay out everywhere until four! There may be some street noise.