“Small Room, Great Location, Snobby waitstaff, No Welcome Drink”

La Posada del Dragon
Ranked #69 of 437 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 24 October 2012

We stayed two nights. We had a third floor corner room. It was small, but we didn't plan on spending much time in the room. We would have preferred windows that open and a balcony, but once we got upstairs, we just settled for this room. No one showed up to our room and we didn't get a welcome drink. I wouldn't eat or drink at this hotel restaurant - the staff is unfriendly and unhelpful. We are pushy and don't expect immediate service, but we waited over 20 minutes for a drink (and it wasn't busy) and the staff was just rude.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a larger room.

Reviewed 18 October 2012

I chose this hotel on the basis of previous Tripadvisor reviews. I wanted somewhere central but a bit different and this certainly met my brief. I arrived on a Sunday afternoon and thought the whole of Madrid had descended on Cava Baja!. I later discovered that Cava Baja is one of the busiest tapas streets in Madrid and is mentioned in the Tourist information booklet. I was checked in by a helpful gentleman who took me to my room and briefly outlined how things worked (air conditioning - very efficient by the way, safe etc) - however no welcome drink (I think because the bar was so busy). My room (202) on the 2nd floor was overlooking the street which I loved, all the noise added I think to the atmosphere. The room was exactly to my taste, decorated pink and black in a "baroque" style which I loved. Absolute massive bed, lovely toilet and the most amazing shower I think I have ever had - good thick towels. Lovely lighting above the bed but I didnt "get" the massive short stubby lights at the bedside which were a bit irrelevant - my only grip!. Didn't eat at the hotel as I wanted to find Tapas etc which is very easy to do in this street. (and I loved the smell of the ovens from across the road). WiFi is not an issue for me - I think I can live without it for a few days when I am in one of the major cities of the world and on holiday.Go to the Tourist information centre a couple of minutes away in Plaza Major where internet access is free. Hotel is central and I walked everywhere. (I stayed two nights and Monday and Monday night was much much quieter than Sunday), I would definately stay at this hotel again and I think its good value (two nights here same as one night in a Seville Hotel!!) - I paid extra for a balcony room and was glad I did.
(taxi about 10-12 euro to Puerta de Atocha train station)

Room Tip: Choose a balcony room for the largess, views, sights and smells
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 October 2012

We recently enjoyed a two night stay at this fantastic hotel. I think its fair to say its not like anywhere we'd stayed before, certainly not like traditional hotels where every room is pretty much identical. Its an old converted building with something like 24 rooms with each one decorated differently with a different theme on each of its three floors. We really liked the whole set up of the hotel and how our room had been decorated with lots of great features like the chandelier style light over the bed, the retro telephone, the quirky bedside tables etc, however the room itself was tiny, by far the smallest room we have ever been allocated - literally a small double bed with a foot of space at either side, a table and fridge at the bottom of the bed, rail for clothes above the fridge and a very small cramped bathroom with very good shower. We were only in Madrid for 2 days and hadn't planned on spending much time in the room anyway so the lack of space wasn't a problem for us although it would be if you were wanting to spend time in the room or were there for a longer trip and needed more storage space. We saw a couple of other rooms being cleaned by the maids and these seemed slightly bigger.

The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful and treated us to a dish of olives and free drink each on arrival which was a nice touch. The bar had a good atmosphere and the food we tried was good. The hotel's location on Cava Baja (a great little street full of tapas bars in the Latania district) cannot be beaten. Plaza Mayor is just a five minute stroll and all other sights in central Madrid are within easy walking distance of the hotel. La Latania is the nearest Metro stop about a five minute walk away.

Would definately return if ever in Madrid again.

Reviewed 12 October 2012

My wife and I just returned from a 3 day stay. The hotel is certainly well located in the La Latina district. Easy to get around and explore. Hotel is a boutique hotel with a nice bar and restaurant.

For the room, we were originally given a room right above the bar over looking Calle Cava Baja. Due to the loud noise from the street, we requested a room higher up were given 301 (top floor). Room is small but not usual for this type of hotel. Room was clean, well appointed, and the AC worked fantastic. The negatives were we were forced to smell the roasting ovens from the restaurant across the street, the shower door does not contain the water while showering and floods the floor outside the shower, and wifi is useless inside the room. Wifi works great on the looby floor but because the hotel is too cheap to spend an additional 300 or so euros to put additional wifi access points on the 3rd floor to allow guests that are out of range from the wifi router on the lobby level, do not expect to be able to leisurely lay in bed and take advantage of the wifi.

For the restaurant and bar, the food and drinks were top shelf and very reasonably priced. Service on the other hand is painfully slow, but this seems to be the norm for all places in Madrid. Waiters/waitresses just do not care if your glass is empty and want for or the bill. It's up to the guest to force the issue when needing refills or the check. We noticed that the older the waiter/waitress, the worse the service in the bars and restaurants in Madrid. Probably due the fact that its just not a great profession to be in and after many years, they get more surly and rude.

Would I stay here again? Probably not. The lack of wifi in my room is a deal breaker for me. If you do not care about that and are looking for hotel in a great location at a reasonable price, then this place is worth checking out.

1  Thank DenverJim
Reviewed 4 October 2012 via mobile

Was taken to Madrid as a surprise for my birthday and was delighted with the location and the friendliness of the hotel. Very central and we walked everywhere including the Prado and Reina Sofia as well as shopping and eating. No problem with food as this us the street of countless bars even in August most were open. Looked great both inside and out, very comfy bed and all staff very pleasant and helpful. Double shutters meant we heard hardly any street noise at night. There were a couple of tiny gripes but did not detract from the overall pleasure so top marks for the whole experience.

• Stayed: August 2012
Luisspelaez, Director de Relaciones Públicas at La Posada del Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2012

Dear BedfordBarbara,

First of all thank you vey much for spending your time in writing a review on Tripadvisor site.

We are glad to know you have a good stay at Posada del Dragon.

The truth mattres and pillows are very comfy due to both are viscoelastic and you can rest in a good way after a hard day.

As we are located in the downtown of Madrid you can take advantage of a great number of bars and restaurants and you can reach the main interest places withouth spend a lot of time walking.

We would like to see you in your next visit to the city. So you can book another room type and enjoy of our hotel.

We let our colleagues know about your comment.

Reviewed 26 September 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights from the 19th September, and it was a really good choice. We did not arrive until after 11 at night - no problem for the staff - had a lovely little potted history from the man on reception before taking us to the room. Much appreciated! Our pre-booked room with a balcony was not available, but it was not a problem. The rooms are, as they say, "achingly cool!" Not big rooms, but we were only sleeping there. It was spotless, funky, fun and extremely quiet. We loved it! Food and drink in the hotel is excellent. Staff are young, attentive and helpful. The location, is, quite simply the best! So central.Less than five minutes walk to Plaza Mayor. So, if you do not have breakfast at the hotel - go there. I would definitely go back there, and certainly recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms not on the front are amazingly quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Luisspelaez, Director de Relaciones Públicas at La Posada del Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2012

Dear Muddy Duck,

First of all thank you very much for spending your time in writing a review on Tripadvisor site.

It is a pleasure to know you had a good stay during your stay at Posada del Dragón.

As something we do daily, we take every customer to the room whilst we explain some details about the hotel, restaurant, our "Corrala" and the different styles we have in rooms depending on the floor they are located.

As we are in the downtown of the city, we have around us lots of bars, restaurants and places to visit.

We would like you come back our hotel your next time in Madrid. So you could appreciate our different room types.

We are completely sure you were good welcomed during your stay by our staff. We love it. What we like is to be helpul with people who stay at the hotel.

We hope see you again shortly.

Reviewed 24 September 2012 via mobile

Second time in Madrid and la Latina is a great experience. Tapas all round (jamon to die for), the street is filled with excellent dining options, which has nice spanish vibe, safe feel and in a great location, & walking distance to plaza major and centro. Now to the hotel, had no expectations but upon arrival, my wife and I were immediately satisfied. Restaurant (not the usual) entrance, that leads to your room above, If lucky enough to get street front you've done
well. Clean modern rooms, plenty of space and shower bathroom facilities above average. Price was great and we really would be happy to return, especially for around 90 euros a night.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank AnteHelen

Dear Ante Helen,

It is a pleasure to know you were fine during your stay at Posada del Dragón.

As we are in the downtown of the city, we have around us lots of bars, restaurants and places to see.

We are completely sure you were good welcomed during your stay by our staff.

We hope see you again shortly.