“Wonderful value”
Review of Hostal Madrid

Hostal Madrid
Ranked #18 of 282 Madrid B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 April 2013

This hotel is a gem. Helpful friendly staff, very reasonably priced and a top location literally only a few steps from the centre of Madrid. My sister lost her case in transit and the staff member on duty assisted her and she had it delivered to the hotel. We were three sisters sharing a room. From the hotel we could walk to all the sites we wanted to see.

Room Tip: I tried three rooms and they were all good.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 April 2013

Hostal Madrid is excellently located for a city trip to Madrid. It is just 100m from Sol. The staff of Hostal Madrid is very friendly and helpful providing us many valuable hints for our stay in Madrid. The rooms are spacious, have a nice design, and are tidy+clean. The Wifi was working very fast in both our rooms. Both my wife and me as well as our 3 kids enjoyed our stay in Hostal Madrid very much. We would definitely come again and recommend it highly to people on a city trip to Madrid.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Travelix-BS
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We stayed in Hostal Madrid last weekend for a couple of days and were extremely happy with everything about the property. We had booked a standard double room but they provided us with a free upgrade to a large apartment with attached kitchen. The apartment was very spacious and clean fitted with all modern amenities. The location of this place is absolutely fabulous and I dont think you can find any other place in Madrid with such a wonderful location - right opposite Sol station and in the heart of the city. You can walk down to most of the attractions the city has to offer from this place like the Prado or Sofia Museum / Royal Palace etc.
There are some fantastic tapas bars, restaurants etc. close to the hostal and the La Latina area (famous for the nightlife) is also walking distance from here.
If you are in Madrid for a couple of days, suggest you should buy the 2 day ticket on the Hop On - Hop Off bus which costs 25Euros per person but is a very cost effective option to see the entire city.
Strongly recommend Hostal Madrid for a good stay in Madrid. We loved it and I am sure all of you would!

Room Tip: Try and request for rooms on the 3rd or 4th floors as this would reduce the noise levels from the st...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RohanGore
Reviewed 13 March 2013

The hostal is in great shape (muy buen estado) rooms are clean and comfortable (limpios y comodos) The staff is awesome (los empleados son fabulosos) The owners Francisca y Jose helped us so much during our trip (los propietarios Francisca y Jose nos ayudaon muchisimo) Great place to stay in Madrid!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sergio M
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I have just returned from a 2.5 week trip in Spain. I stayed at Hostal Madrid twice; once for three nights and then for two nights. As it was advertised on the website that nightly right for stays of 5 nights or more could be negotiated I got a nightly rate for 35 euros rather than 40 euros so for hostal Madird I would recommend contacting the hostal directly than going through other websites. All the contact I had with the hostal before my visit was friendly and professional and made me feel reassured. This was only reinforced when I arrived. All the staff were helpful, friendly, warm but also professional. When I arrived I had been upgraded from a single to a double room. Both my rooms were perfect; spotlessly clean, good shower and very clean bathrooms, flat screen tv, simple but tastefully decorated rooms and most have exposed brickwork. The location is excellent, 2 minutes from Sol metro, 3 mins from Plaza Mayor and the brilliant Museo Jamon chains (do go in, you can get a beer for 75 cents and a great ham roll for a euro) and it is so close to loads of bars and restaurants. The hostal can tell you good places to eat. The only slight negative was that the room I first had was on the same floor where the reception was and it was quite noisy with people com

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, preferably not on the same floor as the reception as it can be noisy at night...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Elizabeth032
Reviewed 18 February 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in Feb 2013 for 3 nights. We really can't fault it. The rooms are spotless. We had a lovely balcony overlooking the street and the rustic exposed walls are fantastic. It's in a fantastic location. Very close to clothes and food shopping, nice restaurant areas and close to the metro station but it isnt noisy. The staff are wonderful. They are always friendly and greet you with a smile. Nothing is too difficult. The hostel is definitely more of a hotel than hostel with no kitchen or washing machine facilities but as food is cheap you can do without the kitchen. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 11 February 2013

This hostel was fab, I think it's the one I've liked most from any trip I've taken. We arrived after our pretty long journey, to a welcoming and helpful member of staff and a clean and comfortable room. The hostel was a minute or two from Sol Metro station and Plaza del Sol is a lovely vibrant place to be! We had a room overlooking the street, and I'll get the one minor negative point out of the way now...it's a bit noisy! There were wooden shutters, which helped a lot, and I never travel without ear plugs, so be prepared and it shouldn't be an issue at all. The hostel decor is lovely, bare brick walls and quite an ornate staircase, and a comfortable foyer area. The room was minimalist, but scrupulously clean, and what more do you need than a comfy bed and a decent shower? There was also a hairdryer and shower gel and shampoo sachets. All this for just over £20 per person per night (47 Euro).

Travel to the hostel from the airport is so easy. We arrived at Terminal 1, got on the free bus to Terminal 2 (you can also just walk from T1 to T2 in about 20 minutes) got our ticket from the machine and our plan of the metro and it was very straightforward. It cost 5 Euro per person for the single journey with airport supplement. We changed at Nuevos Ministerios and Tribunal. Trip took maybe 45 minutes to an hour. You come out of Sol Metro Station, turn left at Macdonalds, and you're there.

Madrid is a beautiful city. We walked for miles around it, and had lovely weather, considering it was in January. In the night time, Plaza del Sol was an amazing place to be...it seems like everyone in Madrid likes to walk around on a Saturday night - at 10pm there were families with children, elderly people, women pushing babies in prams, all walking around the plaza, sometimes going for food, sometimes, just walking. It was lovely. I haven't been to a city like that before. Go! :)

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the street are a bit noisy, so if you are concerned ask for one away from the...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple