“Great location, our room a little noisy”
Review of Hostal Madrid

Hostal Madrid
Ranked #17 of 283 Madrid B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 April 2014

This is a great little hotel near Puerto del Sol. It was close to all the places my husband and I were going to go. The room was small (not shocking since this is Europe), but clean and had a nice brick wall feature that my husband really liked. It has a small, but again nice and clean bathroom. We had a window but it looked into an air shaft in the middle of the building, sort of like there could be a courtyard below.

The only downside was our room was in between both stairwells, so we heard people moving about and talking. Luckily I'm a deep sleeper, but my husband woke up a few times. There was no street noise, so that was a big plus!

Good hotel, just ask for a room in the back (numbers 11 -14)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Allison G

Reviewed 20 February 2014

This accommodation is conveniently located in the center of madrid (Plaza del Sol). Simple. Good people running the place. No problems. Only con: they don't have breakfast. They moved me and my family to a small appartment next door from the main building. It was still a decent room with kitchen and everything!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Joao_Pedro_Filipe
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Hostal Madrid has most of what you look for in a hostel. It is in an excellent central location just off the Puerta del Sol in the heart of the city. There are many restaurants from fast food to high end within easy walking distance. There is a taxi stand on the nearest corner, and the metro stop is only a block or so away. I would also add that the beds were comfortable.

So if it is clean, quiet and convenient, why just average? First, there is no breakfast and no communal kitchen, facilities that are common for many hostels. Perhaps Madrid is different? Service was only fair. We asked for one extra towel (there were only bath towels, no hand towels) and even though we were told we would have one delivered to our room, it never came. Although the mattresses were comfortable, the pillows were flat. An extra pillow would have been nice, but since we could not get an extra towel, I opted not to bother asking for an extra pillow.

The price was fair for what we got and the staff was friendly. You won't mind staying at Hostal Madrid. Just don't set your expectations too high and you will be happy with your stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank globalexplorer1
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Three of us stayed in one of the top floor apartments for four nights. This is a great place if you don't mind simplicity, tight quarters and a minute bathroom. Since we didn't spend much time in the room, it worked for us. We did use the kitchenette to cook dinner two nights. The big plus is the location. From Hostal Madrid, we walked all over the city-to the train station, the Prado, Reina Sofia, Retiro, Palacio Real, La Latina and Gran Via. The hotel is a hop, skip and a jump from two of the major plazas in Madrid- Plaza Mayor and Puerto del Sol. The Mercado de San Miguel is nearby also. We had no trouble with noise and the price was excellent. We'd stay here again-no doubt.

Room Tip: Ask for an apartment on the 6th floor.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank rpcvtraveler75
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Hostal Madrid is located between Plaza Mayor and Plaza del Sol - so almost everything worth seeing in Madrid is walking distance.
The hostel was clean and the room had everything we needed for the week we stayed there. The reason I'm giving 4/5 is because the walls are super thin, we were so unlucky to have neighbours with a dog barking all the time.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Janni P
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights in one of the appartments. The location is right near Puerto del Sol, so it is very lively and also noisy. Sirens, rubbish trucks and revellers can keep the light sleeper awake, so would suggest getting a room away from the street. The beds weren't very comfortable and it was difficult to regulate the heating. The apartment was spacious with a separate bedroom, so plenty of space to spread out. There is a small kitchen with hob, fridge and microwave but no bowls. We tried to use the safe (you have to put in 1 Euro each time of use) but it took our coin and didn't release the key. We asked at reception where one-of the ladies came to check it and told me to put another Euro, same thing didn't work! I tried to explain That we already lost a euro. She took safe downstairs and told me I could get my 2 euros from reception. Lady at reception refused as she said they were from an outside vendor and not responsible. I told her the other lady told me to put the second coin in and she had to verify that this was true. In the end she would only return 1 euro. We arrived late at night on Christmas eve and asked if any restaurants were open. We were told no as it is Christmas eve so we went to bed hungry. We found out next door is a 24 hour pizza shop and a 24hr McDonald's. But we didn't verify That they were open or not. We paid €77ish each for the first two nights but then it jumped to €110 the last night, which even though it is in the centre is too much to pay for what you get. The building is old and looks a bit run down. Next time we will find someplace nicer a bit further out but for less.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Sunny D
Reviewed 12 December 2013

To say this is a hostel is demeaning, its far better than that..placed perfectly and very easy to get to from the airport, Metro to 'nuevos ministerios' then get the train to 'sol' and its just round the corner from KFC

All day underground travel ticket is 8.70 and well worth it to see Madrid properly..Staff at 'Hostal Madrid' are very helpful,they speak decent English and assist you with maps and places to go etc..84 euros for me and my friend to stay for 2 nights was a bargain

Facilities were 10x better than i have experienced at other hostels

A MUST stay if you seek cheap and very well placed accommodation..any negative comments on here are people who are very fussy, there is NOTHING wrong with this place whatsoever

I was there 9th December-11th December 2013