“A Hidden Gem”

Ranked #27 of 790 things to do in Madrid
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Whenever I visit Madrid, I like to visit the Museo Lazaro Galdiano. It is a small museum and few people visit it, so you can find peace and quiet in the museum. This allows you to concentrate on the art work. I especially enjoy seeing the works of Goya and the jewelry.

There are newer reviews for Museo Lazaro Galdiano

Reviewed 27 February 2013

This museum is much smaller and doesn't have an amazing collection when compared to the Prado, Thyssen, etc. I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to go to this museum, but if you are in the area then it is worth a stop. It has a very nice jewelry collection and a few smaller works by Goya as well as a large coin collection. The museum is free the last hour it is open (from 3:30 - 4:30 most days I believe).

1  Thank Melissa M
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I am sure this attraction is very good but it has the most awkward, unhelpful and unpleasent staff. We were using the Madrid 72 hour card for which you are suppossed to get free entry to this museum. According to the staff on reception they claimed that one of our cards was out of date and we would have to pay. This was obviously untrue as we had only got the cards the day before, and had used them just before at the Bernabau Stadium, and used them one hour later at the Prado without any problems. infact we used it on six occassions without a problem. When we pointed out that both cards had obviously been purchased at the same time they still refused entry unless we paid. They also refused to show the machine with the out of date message. On principal we did not pay and thus did not see any of the attractions.

2  Thank Robbie22Manchester
Reviewed 21 February 2013 via mobile

Everyone agrees that this is a wonderful museum. I myself found it quite a bit more enjoyable than the Prado, which is so full of art works that my head began to spin.

Reviewed 20 February 2013

I enjoyed this museum. Not only is it a wonderful collection of art and artifacts, the house in and of itself is incredible. The only reason I would give four stars is because if you only have a short time in Madrid this would not be the first museum that you should see. But, if you have more than 2 or 3 days I would definitely recommend it. It is near the high end Salamanca district of shopping and it is near some really nice restaurants. Also, this is close to the Museo Sorolla and you can easily manage both museums with a break for coffee in between! It's a great collection of Spanish art.