Museo de la Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando
and up
Madrid Segway City Tour
Ranked #71 of 829 things to do in Madrid
Reviewed 22 May 2014

The San Fernando Royal Academy of Fine Arts is one of my favorite museums. Few people visit it because the majority of tourists to Madrid do not even know that it exists. I see it every time we visit Madrid because it is a storeroom of great art. You can see Goyas and Sorollas here, as well as many other Spanish artists. I like to take photos without flash so that I have a remembrance of the paintings that impress me.

1  Thank BennyMalaga

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Thanks for being so hospitable on Wednesdays. I visited you this Wednesday and I was surprised I didn't have to pay an entrance fee. Thanks for letting me see your great collection for free!! I enjoyed my visit. It took quite a while because your exhibition is fabulous. I truly needed time to explore your museum because of its wonderful pieces of art. Some items really touched my heart, so I will have to come back to enjoy them again. Thanks!

Reviewed 30 April 2014

It is not the most famous museum in Madrid but it is one of my favourites. Very classy, a lot of good work of arts, and also the surprise you get. You expect Prado to be something great but this museum, unheard of by some of the travellers gained my admiration.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

The centrally-located Royal Academy of Fine Arts has a large collection, primarily featuring works by Spanish artists who trained there, including Goya. It has a few excellent pieces, but many were only so-so and the overall presentation seemed a bit lifeless. Even though the museum is free to all on Wednesdays, it was quiet and uncrowded and it took less than an hour to tour all three floors (lots of stairs). If you have ample time in Madrid, it's worth a visit but there are better collections (e.g., The Prado, Thyssen-Bornemisza and Reina Sofia Museums) to see first.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I visited the St Fernando Royal Academy of Fine Arts (museum) as part of my 8 full-day visit to Madrid and enjoyed it quite bit - I am surprised that it doesn't feature higher on the Trip Advisor attraction 'hit list' as the permanent collection is varied in nature and often of high quality. This museum deserves to be better 'attended'....

---
I am compiling an extensive Trip Advisor 'Trip List' for my visit to see the sights of Madrid and day trips to Toledo/Segovia, it is entitled 'Madrid Attractions (+ Toledo/Segovia Day Trips) : 7 Full-Day Visit Oct 2013'. Please feel free to access it via my TA Profile (by clicking my TA 'name' below the photo on the left of this review). I hope it is of interest and use to you and that all of my individual reviews/photos/videos get posted properly; don't forget that videos aren't posted with the review like photos are, so it's best to locate them via my TA profile....
---

I took advantage of the generous 'free visit' Wednesday, but if you can't make that you should note that the standard entrance fee is relatively low for what you can see. There was also a small, separately-contained 'themed' collection, on display but I am not sure if it would normally cost extra.....

The permanent collection is large, covers a wide date range and well-spread over 4 floors; it includes an impressive central 'Salón de Actos' on the first floor. Along with some intriguing wax-relief's, the paintings were what I enjoyed most and they were generally in superb condition - everything had extensive explanatory notes.

Flash-free photography of the permanent collection is allowed, so example photos of mine should feature at the base of this review....

You should also note that the gift shop is fairly well-stocked with some especially-good prints on offer - but as it is in the entrance vestibule and staffed by the same person who deals with ticketing it can take a little time to get served...

The St Fernando Royal Academy of Fine Arts (museum) seems to attract few visitors, which is surprising as being centrally-located it is easy to get to and the entrance fee is relatively low for what is on offer to view - it deserves your attention !

2  Thank LPWilliams

Travellers who viewed Museo de la Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando also viewed

Madrid, Community of Madrid

Been to Museo de la Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando? Share your experiences!