“Convenient location”
Review of Astoria Hostal

Astoria Hostal
Ranked #28 of 283 Madrid B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Hostel is perfectly situated in the heart of Madrid, only a few minutes walk from Puerta del Sol, Plaza Mayor, Cibeles and the strip of museums. What makes it better is how affordable the rooms are!

Our experience would've been better if they had nicer staff. They were not warm at all; they seemed hesitant to answer our questions and it felt like they wanted to end our conversations immediately. It would help to be nicer to guests ;)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 21 July 2013

If you are visiting Madrid, and you are looking for a 5 star Hotel because you want to walk around much, than this is the right one. Absolutely. 30 Euros for one night and in the very center of madrid, plaza mayor, sol, gran via, huertas, everything is in waking distance, and it is soooo quiet, you can enjoy the day and night! the room is absolutely clean, staff are funny and helpful. the room is maybe little, and they dont have room service or spa, but again,this kind of hotel in this situation will take you more than 70 euro in cities like paris or berlin. So take it!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SuperSongoku
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We were booked on the fifth floor which is a two star floor, but the receptionist gave us a room on the fourth floor which was a 3 star for the same price. The hostel room was small but enough for me and my boyfriend. We had everything such as TV, a good air conditioner, hydro message shower, towels and face towels which where changed eveyday, shampoo, conditioner, shower jell, moisturizer, comb, needle and some string for emergencies, iron board, safe, wardrobe and best of all the balcony with two chairs and a small table. It was fantastic! The receptionists were very helpful and spoke very good English. We had everything we weren't expecting to have. We really enjoyed our stay :)

Room Tip: choose a room on the forth floor. If we knew it had a two and three star floors we would have chose...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank raimvb10
Reviewed 1 June 2013

This was such an excellent hotel, an undiscovered gem in the heart of the city. Impressive from the start. Perfectly located, spacious and spotless lobby with staff who speak English. They can help find places using their internet, and they also have city maps. The corridors have individually lit pictures. I had a single en-suite room, faultlessly clean, everything worked perfectly. Adequately sized and plenty of wardrobe/cupboard space. My particular room was very quiet.

Room entry was by card not key, and the card must be placed in a slot by the door to activate the electricity. Although on the fifth floor, there is a good sized elevator. Flat screen TV, alas nothing in English, so you spend the week watching the music channel.

Located only a few minutes walk East of Puerta Del Sol, the defined centre of both Madrid and Spain, (see the plaque in the square, always someone having their picture taken). Stay here and there is no need for the subway. The Spanish palace (Palacio Real) to the West is a 20 minute walk, and the Prado, East, a 15 minute walk. Also, within a few hundred metres there are dozens of bars for the evenings.

Quality beer is hard to find, try "Naturbier" at Plaza De Santa Anna. For Belgian beer, try "Cafeeke" on Calle del Cuchilleros, South West of Plaza Major, they have an extensive range.

But avoid "Cafe & Te", just West of the hotel. The waiter told me they only speak Spanish, no English, and rushes you to order. Strange because other branches of "Cafe & Te" in Madrid are excellent, and I would recommend them.

People have said "hard to find". The street entry door is narrow. From Puerta Del Sol, take the right hand road East, (Carrera San Jeronimo), towards the Prado. About a five minute walk, South side of the road, there is actually a sign, but mounted high up on the building.

I have stayed at few hotels I found more comfortable. The prospect of staying here encourages me to re-visit Madrid.

Bear in mind, half the fun of Madrid is not in the city, but in all the excellent attractions out of town, within an hour. Toledo, Segovia, Aranjuez, Avilla, Salamanca, El Escorial, Santa Cruz Del Valle De Los Caidos. Just out of town the "Museo Del Aire", all first class attractions.

Room Tip: I have only stayed here once so cannot compare rooms. My room was on the fifth floor and facing the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 May 2013

This is the second time we have stayed at this Hostal and the room, this time on the fourth floor, was very good. They have obviously recently refurbished these rooms and they are a very good standard for the price paid. The room is small but has everything you would want (please note that Spanish hotels never have kettles in rooms so we bring our own) and there was also a large balcony. The bed was very comfortable and the air-conditioning worked very well. The TV only had Spanish language channels (I would have expected BBC World at or CNN at least) but we weren't really in Madrid to watch TV so not a real problem. There is some noise from the corridor as the place has wooden floors throughout so sound carries but not so much at night that it caused a problem. There is free wi-fi in the hotel and a computer free for the guests use in the lobby. The bathroom is tiny and would benefit from at least one shelf to put toiletries on as would the shower. The only real issue was the shower, it's one of those 'Hydro-Massage' type showers with water shooting out at all angles, all well and good but when I switched it on the water shot out at me at a scalding hot temperature. I was stuck in the corner of the shower cubicle unable to pass the hot water to get out so had to shout for my husband to come and turn the water off. He could only do this by covering his arm in a towel (so as not to get burnt) but we both ended up a little scalded with a very wet bathroom. I dread to think how I would have managed if I was on my home. Showers should be set so they simply do not get scalding hot and they certainly should not be left on this setting so unsuspecting guests turn them on and get burnt.
Apart from the shower incident everything else was fine and I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a good value, clean, place in the centre of the city.

Room Tip: Rooms on the fourth floor are newly refurbished and better than those on the fifth.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MsCP13
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Firts of all, I was disappointed because I had in mind a different image of the room, more modern like the pictures in the web site, but I was on my own so decided to keep it.

Positive things: clean, decent size room for one, great location, friendly staff, AC, hot water.

Negative: noise in hallways, hostal´s ring bell!, working men by my window (they are rehabilitating the building outside), shower curtain (it sticks to your body while showering, it is a constant fight)

I don´t think I´ll come back here. I could not rest at all, I had to wake up before 7:00am because of the noise of people talking, walking, water pipes next door, etc...

But If you don´t mind waking up early or you are a heavy sleeper it is a nice place for its location and friendly staff.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank cassdra
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I really enjoyed staying here at the Astoria Hostal Rooms small but adequate, as often the case for singles. Everything very clean. So convenient to Sol Subway stop and most of the major museums. . Good restaurants nearby as well. Free access to computer and free wi-fi. Very nice staff.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo