“Overall good hotel”

Tryp Madrid Atocha Hotel
Ranked #180 of 437 Hotels in Madrid
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 April 2014

The Tryp Antocha is conveniently located within a 5 minute walk of the Antocha Station. It is surrounded by a variety of cafes and restaurants and is close to a tourist 'hop on hop off' bus stop. Rooms are spacious and clean and beds are comfortable - most important. Staff are friendly and helpful. Breakfast is very good and caters for all tastes. Good coffee too.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Director_TRYP_Atocha, Gerente at Tryp Madrid Atocha Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear dotg1947:

Thank you for your opinion. We are in the heart of Madrid, 5 minutes walking to Atocha Station and around 8 from Puerta del Sol , That is the downtown. We are very happy that our staff is helpful, those are good news and make sense to our job. We area as well happy that you enjoyed our breakfast and our coffee. Thank you very much and have a nice week end

Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

It's located in the middle of madrid, 5 min from the railway station, u have coffee shop nearby, metro stations, shops, we had great breakfast, it's a nice hotel with clean rooms, nicr rooms, looks new.
They have one thing u get uppset about on check in you might wait for 10 min to get a room, while u arrived from a long trip, the restaurant service is great, smiley staff, always greeting and thankfull, they have good food. Even it's small hotel we've enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear elie_njei

Thank you very much for your kind words. The location is very convenience if you want to visit the downtown of Madrid. You have several food choices in our breakfast buffet and we try hard to smile and get you served in the best way.

We will revise the chek in procedure but I am afraid that because of the police requirements is sometimes hard, specially when you are tired. We are sorry.

Thank you very much and best regards, happy week end

Director
tryp Atocha

Reviewed 23 March 2014

I have just spent two nights at the Tryp Atocha, I didn't choose the hotel myself as I met up with my sister there and she had already booked the hotel. The location is perfect, a few metres from a Metro station, within walking distance of the best museums and galleries, a short walk to Atocha railway station and with lots of bars, cafes and restaurants very close.
As my sister arrived a couple of days before us she warned me that her room was extremely noisy and that we should ask for a room at the back of the hotel. We did and we were given room 505. It was basically fine, a little cramped but nice and bright due to having three windows. There was plenty of storage space with a reasonable amount of hangers ( the awful fixed type), good lighting and a safe that was already locked! When we rang reception we were told that it had just been installed and wasn't yet connected? Frankly it looked as if it had been there a few years. There was also a wardrobe space with a rail and no hangers- so I presume to use that space you have to bring your own hangers! There were two large twin beds - we had asked for a king, but they were comfortable and the all-white linen was nice. There was a TV and a mini bar. The so called high speed internet was the slowest that I have ever experienced. There was a piece of skirting board missing which could have easily been replaced and the curtains looked a bit grubby.
The bathroom was spacious, bath, with shower above, bidet, sink and toilet. It had a large window and the lighting was good. There was a soap/shampoo dispenser above the bath and another next to the sink. There was no conditioner but at least there was a complimentary comb to de-tangle. There was also a shower cap and toothbrush. Plenty of towels. The hot water was fine and the pressure fairly good.
The room was nice and quiet and I did notice that all the windows were double glazed. There was a view over the roof tops which was quite pleasant. I did find the room too warm and I am always cold, I did wonder how hot and stuffy the room would get in summer?
The staff at reception were basically efficient but I did think that the female staff were much more attentive and helpful than the male ones. It may have been a coincidence. The restaurant where you have breakfast wasn't the most attractive of places. Firstly it was windowless and secondly a bit bland and boring. The buffet however was good. I loved the choice of juices, all labeled, soya milk, there was smoked salmon on the first morning but not on the second. There was a huge selection of cold meats but sadly they were all pork. Lots of pastries, bread, scrambled eggs, omelette and much more. The coffee was served at the table and we were not asked if we wanted milk or not, it was just put on the table - a bit of a waste if you don't want it. We also noticed that the jugs were only half full so you had to ask for more coffee if you wanted more than half a cupful each. There seemed to be plenty of tables and we were never rushed.
There was a bar area next to reception and another lounge area across from reception. When we went to look at my sister's room, 222, it was a long way from reception and quite complicated to get to, a corridor then a sort of walkway which seemed to lead to another building, then a lift and more corridor. The room looked out onto another street at the back. Each morning they were awaken by the refuse collection lorry. Taking into account that they had spent a full week at the hotel and their home address is in the southern hemisphere I would have thought that the hotel would have given them a better room. Surely it was obvious that they had a large amount of luggage.
I am not really sure that I would return to this hotel, the location is great and it 's not expensive but I do feel that some improvements could be made, especially in staff training and attention to detail.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear grankan

Thank you very much for your words. The location of the hotel is perfect if you want to have the best idea of Madrid downtown. We celebrate you enjoyed the stay and specially the breakfast. regarding the choices you mentioned, you have a hugh variety of food, fresh and daily offered. We are changind the variety on a daily basis in order to have choices enough in a regular stay (around 2 days). We will revise all your suggestions in order to try to improve the performance.

Thank you very much anda have a good week end

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Tryp Atocha is really central; within 10 min walk to Santa Ana and Sol, offers great breakfast with freshly squeezed orange juice and ground coffee go with a great selection of pastries, meats and cheeses, hot items, fruit , yogurts and cereals. Some regular rooms are on a small side, and ask for one on an upper floor for some quiet. The hotel is clean, a bit functional, but has some nice features. The bar decor is rather boring though, then again you are spoiled for choice just a few steps away.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
1  Thank Kevin H

Dear Kevin H

Thank you very much for your words. We are on a central location, near all the big touristic attractions and the museums (Prado, Tyssen and Reina Sofia). We are very happy you enjoyed the breakfast, thank you. Regading the hotel, we try hard to get it really clean on a daily basis, this is a must.

Thank you very much and happy weekend

Reviewed 25 February 2014

We have just returned from a very pleasant stay at the Tryp Madrid Atocha. This was our third visit to Madrid and this time we decided to stay at a Melia Hotel. We had a very comfortable room, all our needs were met and the staff was most obliging, efficient and friendly. We enjoyed the hustle and bustle of Calle Atocha, the cafe culture of Plaza Santa Ana and the literary quarter of Madrid just around the corner. At times during the hectic schedule it was always a pleasure to head back to this beautiful historic building and chill out for a while. We were able to watch the Six Nations Rugby Championship in the comfort of our hotel room and this was an added bonus. Gracias a todos!
Phil Bourke, Limerick, Ireland

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Phil B
Director_TRYP_Atocha, Gerente at Tryp Madrid Atocha Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear Phil B

Thank you very much for your opinion. It is great to know that everything was ok and you enjoyed the city and the hotel. We try hard to do our best for our clients and in this ocation we are vry happy and proud to have got it.

Please let us know your next visit to meet you personally and if it is in our hands, to upgrade your reservation.

TRYP Atocha

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Stayed here for 6 nights. Fantastic place. Only 2 issues. The room was too hot. We were moved instantly. Only lukewarm water in the shower. Staff were extremely helpful. Great location. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
2  Thank LucyWexfordIreland
Director_TRYP_Atocha, Gerente at Tryp Madrid Atocha Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear Mrs. LucyWexfo

Thank you for your feedback. We are very happy that we were able to solve the couple of issues you mentioned and that your stay with us was pleasant.

The location of the hotel is very convenience if you want to discover the downtown of madrid, is located about ten minutes from the Puerta del Sol , Plaza Mayor and the best museums in the city; Prado, Reina Sofía and Thyssen Bornemisza.

Thank you very much for your recommendation.

Best Regards.

Hotel Tryp Madrid Atocha

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I stayed at the TRYP Madrid Atocha in late-October 2013 for 8 nights and found it to be all that I had hoped for from the description and reliable TA reviews. It was clean, reasonably comfortable, provided a great breakfast and is in an excellent central location to access city attractions, public transport and the wealth of nearby local amenities.

However, I did have fairly significant misgivings about room ventilation (ie lack of it !), the necessary solution to which lead to unwanted noise/cigarette odour intrusion...

---
I am compiling an extensive Trip Advisor 'Trip List' for my visit to see the sights of Madrid and day trips to Toledo/Segovia, it is entitled 'Madrid Attractions (+ Toledo/Segovia Day Trips) : 7 Full-Day Visit Oct 2013'. Please feel free to access it via my TA Profile (by clicking my TA 'name' below the photo on the left of this review). I hope it is of interest and use to you and that all of my individual reviews/photos/videos get posted properly; don't forget that videos aren't posted with the review like photos are, so it's best to locate them via my TA profile....
---

I had booked my stay via Expedia which, before some special discounts, cost £67 per night Bed & Breakfast for a Double Room; that rate included mandatory taxes and no extra fees levied once I got to the hotel. I had done some research to find a hotel that fitted my requirements, and had actually changed my booking from somewhere else in preference for the better location that this hotel offered for a comparable price. I particularly liked the fact that the room rate included breakfast, an in-room fridge/safe and free wifi..

The hotel is located on the northern side and about half-way along the busy (but relatively quiet when compared to Gran Via for example) main city road of Calle de Atocha, just as the road levels-out from a constant downwards-sloping section leading to Atocha rail station. Almost by the front entrance to the hotel is a stairway access 'opening' for the nearby 'Anton Martin' Metro station (Line 1); bus stops are barely 100m either side of the road. The massive Atocha main railway station is at the bottom of that aforementioned sloped end to the main road; far enough away to justify a bus trip if you've luggage, especially when arriving as it's uphill !

There are lots of options for local shopping (especially for very good/cheap greengrocers) and a few local cafes which are also good value (about EU2 for coffee and a cake). An easy 5/10 min walk gets you to the 'happening' area of the city centre, where eating/drinking choices obviously increase massively ! Being centrally-located, you are nicely situated to either go east or west to access city attractions and it's also viable to return during the day to drop of things you 'collect' whilst out !

Bearing in mind that the Metro requires changes and that whilst an exit is by the hotel, the Anton Martin station is actually a few hundred metres away, I found the best way to travel to/from Barajas airport was by the EMT 'Airport Express' bus service (see my Trip List for all the info). It gets you to the bus station directly on the northern side of Atocha main railway station on the Av de la Ciudad de Barcelona/Paseo de la Infanta Isabel road section. From there you cross those 2 roads and catch the No26 bus to the hotel; the return trip is the same bus but a shorter walk at both ends !

The hotel reception area is smart but business-like, with little in the way of tourist info - but an excellent/detailed free city map is available. There were 2 lifts and getting to your room was never a problem. The reception area also features a seating vestibule, a very small bar (with snacks available) and access to the breakfast room.

My room was quite roomy and cleanly decorated (the end of this review should eventually feature several photos) and everything seemed fine UNTIL I'd unpacked and discovered that the safe was unusable. It transpired that many rooms have this 'problem' until they're all upgraded, BUT the reception staff omitted to point this known-fact out to me when I checked-in, meaning the required room change to one with a working safe (a safe was important for me) took a little time and re-packing; I thought this was all rather thoughtless by the reception staff and it wasn't a good start to my lengthy stay....

To give the best chance of a quiet stay I asked for a room away from the main road - however, with hindsight I think it was noisier there ! This was because my room was, for me, oppressively hot (not helped by heat-generation from the minibar !) which required the window to be left open, so allowing noise (AND cigarette odour) from the internal ground-floor area used by hotel staff to enter. This turned out to be a major problem for me, only solvable by sleeping with ear plugs (a room change was by then out of the question).

This significant problem originated from the lack of room ventilation as the hotel policy is to inhibit the air-conditioning 'during winter' (it could only provide warm air), which ignores the fact that not all customers will be happy with a warm room (warmed further by the minibar !) in a relatively mild winter PLUS it prevents ventilation ! Another example of a thoughtless attitude towards customers that I experienced....

The large double-bed was comfy, desk/wardrobe/suitcase space was fine and the modern flat-screen TV accepted AV inputs. Rooms don't include kettles nor any kind of comfy seating, so you have to do with the desk chair. The bathroom was well-furnished and of a decent size.

Breakfast was extremely plentiful with a varied selection of quality foodstuffs (inc smoked salmon !). There might only be scrambled eggs on service, but a polite request to the efficient and helpful dining staff can easily result in made-to-order fried eggs or an omelette !

So, all in all I enjoyed my stay in the TRYP Madrid Atocha and found it to be good value with an excellent breakfast, offering a superb location for the city attractions, handy nearby facilities and public transport access. HOWEVER, I did not find the room ventilation arrangement to be at all satisfactory, which required the use of ear plugs to prevent sleepless nights as the window had to be left open BUT that allowed cigarette odour to enter. Why hotel policy is to INHIBIT the ventilation/cooling system in winter baffles me; it shows a lack of appreciation for particular customer requirements, also demonstrated by the failure to highlight the lack of a working in-room safe (despite it being advertised !) when customers check-in. That would be proper 4-star service.....

Room Tip: One with a working ventilation and safe !