“Tryp Hotel Atocha, an excellent hotel in Madrid”

Tryp Madrid Atocha Hotel
Ranked #192 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
GreenLeadersBronze level
Baker, Florida
“Tryp Hotel Atocha, an excellent hotel in Madrid”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

For the second time, Blue Danube Holidays has made vacation planning for my friend and I very easy. My friend chose them in 2009 for an add-on trip, after a stint of teaching in Madrid. She started her trip at the Tryp Hotel Atocha in Madrid and she liked it so well that we are starting there again this year. It was a beautiful hotel and the service was excellent. It was only a short walk to Plaza Mayor where night life abounds with jugglers, venders and mimes.
This year we will be doing it all over again, and were looking for another tour to add after our classes. Ava was very informative and helpful then and recently as well. We made our final plans and re-contacted Blue Danube and were assisted by Monica, who was just as knowledgeable of their tours, and a big influence in our decision. We highly recommend Blue Danube Tours, as it suited our needs then and now.
The hotels in 2009 were top notch, and we anticipate the ones in Morocco will be also. Thank you, Ava, and Monica.
Tom

Room Tip: We were on the third floor oveerlooking the main street, Atocha, side and we loved it.
Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Director_TRYP_Atocha, Gerente at Tryp Madrid Atocha Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear T0m 1066:

Thank you very much for your opinion and thank you for having chosen our hotel again. Our neiborghood is plenty of life, near the main touristic attractions.

Tryp Atocha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I like all my stays here now that I've learned to ask for an "inside room" after party noise from street and morning traffic were a problem. Very happy with breakfast buffet and service here. Add ideal location, as the Prado, Reina Sofia Museums, Train Station, and famous Rastro Flea Market are only few blocks away and easy walk. Lots of restaurants and squares plus loved shopping at nearby Corte Ingles, a huge department store supreme! Beds and pillows, bathrooms all very nice.

Room Tip: Inside rooms are quieter than those that face the streets, especially Calle Atocha which is a busy a...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Mesmera M:

Thank you very much for your opinions. Our hotel has both rooms, inside and balcony street ones. The sourrounding of the hotel are lovely, plenty of activity and life, specially in this season. You can visit the downtown, 5 minutes walking from the hotel, Plaza Mayor, Atocha Station, Ther museums (Prado, Thyssen Bornesmiza, Modern art Reina Sofia), Puerta del Sol, Opera, Royal Palace, "el retiro" park, etc

Thank you very much and till next time at your "spanish home", Tryp Atocha

Scotland
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I received a warm welcome when I arrived at this centrally located hotel from the young man on reception (I think he was a new member of staff). My single room was adequate but disappointed in that there was no tea/coffee in the room. (I was advised that the premium rooms had this as standard.) However, the young man on reception provided me with a flask of hot water and tea bag and milk as a goodwill gesture on my first evening.
When I was directed towards the vending machine the next evening, the hot drinks section was out of order!!! Grr...

The safe in the room didn't work (I was told the safes were currently being upgraded but had not yet reached my room.) The lamp was temperamental in that it worked some time but not at other times (It had a loose connection which had to be jiggled to bring on the light). If I had reported it, I am sure it would have been sorted. However, I think basic room items should be checked prior to a guest arriving.

A pre-wedding party was ongoing (and very loud) but I was assured the noise would stop at midnight - which it did. Up until that time, a peaceful sleep was not possible.

The hotel is well-placed for restaurants as well as the metro. Breakfasts provided were very good and offered a wide variety of foodstuffs.

In truth, I never really felt 'at home' in the hotel but I can't say specifically why that was.
Some of the staff e.g. the reception staff were pleasant; however, others e.g. breakfast staff were not.
I left the hotel after my stay with the feeling I probably wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: Go for the more expensive premium room if, like me, you like to have a coffee/tea.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Jill-Jack

Thank you very much for your words. I am really sorry that we were not able to make you feel at home. Regarding the vending, I will contact the enterprise to take care in the future not to have the same problem. Regardin the safe, we are updating them for security reasons.

We had a party in the hotel but as you mentioned, they were allowed just to reach noon and go after. It happened like that although it was a little bit loud.

I will personally take care of the issues because quality is one of the most important things in our job and make you feel like at home, should be our goal.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stayed at Tryp Atocha from May 9th-May13th and had a very nice stay. Because is in the city which means it is in walking distance (not even necessary to use the metro) to everything it is noiser to sleep at night (bring a good set of ear plugs if you are sensitive to the street noises as I am). We had the corner room which was quite clean and spacious, the bathroom was wonderfully big for a European room with a nice tub for soaking in at the end of the day. You couldn't ask for more at their complimentary breakfast buffet, a nice way to start your day. Explore the small side streets behind the hotel to find hidden gems. I recommend buying all your drinks from the "alimentacion" because ordering drinks from restaurants or from the mini bar will cost you lots of Euros. Atocha was close to El prado, jardins de botanico, el parque de buen retiro (a must see), el mercado de san miguel, el plaza mayor and the palacio real. Really no no need to take the metro or the city tour buses. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank iheartmovies
Dear Iheartmovies:

Thank you very much for your comments. We celebrate that you liked the standards in our rooms and we are very sorry that you have issues with the noises. Our hotel is located near the main touristic attractions of the city.

Thank you very much and best regards.

tryp Atocha
Cromer, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Hotel is within easy walking distance of Attocha railway station, Plaza Mayor, Prada Museum & Retiro Park. We had a comfortable clean room on the 4th floor. Our room was at the rear of the building & very quiet. The staff were polite & helpful. We did not eat in the hotel & there were many cafes, restaurants & bars nearby.The only niggle we had was queuing for check in. Only one member of staff on reception - although he did his best it was not the best start after a long journey. Despite this would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the building are quieter
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Director_TRYP_Atocha, Gerente at Tryp Madrid Atocha Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear CF170209

Thank you very much for your opinion. The hotel is located as you mentioned, in the downtown, near the main tourisitc attractions (Museums Prado, Reina Sofia and Tyssen Bornesmiza 6-10 minutes walking, "Puerta del sol" 8 -10 minutes , "Plaza Mayor" 5-7 minutes, Royal Palace 8-10 minutes.

We try hard to improve our standards and try to offer always the best clean standard in our hotel. Regarding the staff is the heart of our hotel, whitout them we could not get the proper service. We love hearing that we were helpful and polite. Although this we will try to improve our performance looking at check in.

GM
Tryp Madrid Atocha
italy
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The hotel offered a pleasant surprise. Given its current trip advisor position I had my doubts before arriving (it was recommended to me by the organizers of a business meeting). Turns out it has very friendly staff and my (premium) room was spotless, sufficiently large and did show any signs of aging. The bathroom was well stocked and fully adequate. Also the buffet breakfast was totally OK.

Perhaps on a tourist trip you may consider it slightly boring (there is not much special about it), but on the other hand, it is very conveniently located for tourism, and Madrid is not a city in which you want to spend a lot of time inside your hotel anyway. The Anton Martin metro station is right in front. Lots of good (and bad - just lots of) restaurants are in its direct vicinity. The main museums and other attractions are within a 15 minute walk.

I stayed in this city in much more expensive hotels before, and the conclusion is now that my overall experience of the city wasn't any better when staying in those.

I would definitely consider this again when returning to Madrid.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Derob:

Thank you very much for your words. We are very happy knowing your opinion about our staff, it makes us keep on working hard to hear those opinions. Friendly, this is the essence of service. The location of our hotel is very convenience, 8 minutes walking distance to Puerta del Sol and 5 minutes to Plaza Mayor. As well is in the middle of the 3 main museums in Spain (Prado 10 minutes, Reina Sofia 5 minutes, Tyssen Bornesmiza 7 minutes). We are very happy sharing our knowledge about the city, next time if you have time, please contact us to tell you some seecrets about the city and some places to visit (ask for our special routes in reception, made by our staf with heart ¡¡¡) for sure you will change the perception of the city.

It will be a pleasure to greet you personally next time in Madrid, please come back and let us know

Have a nice week end

Director
Hotel TRYP Madrid Atocha
Caldes De Malavella
Reviewed 6 May 2014

It was a nice stay; staff were attentive, the hotel is really accessible, five minute from Atocha Rail Station. Everything was ready as was required for our presentation, every attendant were very please with the coffe break. I really recommend this venue for business meetings.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Director_TRYP_Atocha, Gerente at Tryp Madrid Atocha Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear David E

Thank you very much for your opinion. It is nice to hear that our team was able to be on site and helpful. I am happy that your business meeting was succesful and everything run perfect, we try to do always or best to guarantee that you only have to take care of your business and we take care of everything.

Thank you to have recommended our hotel and our meeting facilities

Director