“Great value for the price”
Review of Hotel Rex

Hotel Rex
Ranked #302 of 437 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 29 June 2009

We had a great stay at the Tryp Rex on Gran Via. In fact, I am surprised by some of the negative reviews about this hotel - and really do wonder what exactly these people expect from a hotel that is such a good price in a prime location in a fairly pricey European city!! If you want perfection, I'm afraid you're going to have to pay a bit more than this place costs!

The location was absolutely perfect for exploring Madrid - we went everywhere on foot and all the major sights were very quick and easy to get to from the Hotel - it was no more than about a 10 minute walk for us to get from the hotel to any of the top attractions in the old city area.

We had the pleasure of meeting a lovely man on reception when we arrived very early (midnight-ish) on Saturday morning (Antonio, I think his name was..? He was missing a couple of fingers on each hand..). He was so friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble, and he quickly pulled out a map and started showing us all sorts of things to see, suggested walking routes, etc - including local tips and inside knowledge! He was one of the best reception staff we've come across - even better than some 5 star hotels.

Our room on the 4th floor was very spacious, spotlessly clean, and because we had asked for a quiet room (as we usually do), we didn't have any problems with noise at all (besides, even if we had heard the street noise outside, we probably would've expected it, having chosen a basic hotel in such a central location!).

We had a comfortable bed, lots of space in our room and bathroom, excellent and very quiet air-conditioning, and a brilliant shower with extremely good pressure. Ok, so the decor was a little dated, but for the price it was great value for money, very comfortable and functional, and realistically we didn't expect it to be overly flash given the price!

The only (minor) negative was that it seemed it was necessary to take one of the two lifts to get to and from reception (and therefore in and out of the front entrance), and because they were tiny and a bit touchy, it meant waiting for the lift a little more than you would usually. It wasn't actually a terribly long wait and it didn't bother us, but if you were a bit impatient you might care more than we did. Given that we headed out in the morning and then only came back to get freshened up before dinner - we were too busy out exploring the city - so it really wasn't a problem.

We think this hotel was perfectly good value for money. We got it nice and cheap through a package deal and were more than happy with it, and an excellent location for exploring Madrid.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 June 2009

Hotel is located slap bang on gran via Closest metro stations are Callao (lines 3 and 5) Santo Domingo (line 2) and Plaza de Espana on lines 10 and 3. The latter station is probably easiest to use if you are coming from the airport as you only have to change once from line 8 at Nuevos Ministerios on to line 10. At the other end the hotel is about a 3 min walk from Plaza de Espana.

First impressions are not fantastic to be honest you do have to go downstairs to go to the reception area which is not helpful if you are travelling with loads of luggage. Was allocated an interior room on the 7th floor which was a bit dated.The decor does look tired, and the curtains are well worse than anything that can be found at Laura Ashley!!

However the room I was allocated was quite large and quiet. The Air conditioning worked a treat which was a blessing as it was 35+ degrees over the 4 days I stayed there. Bathroom was of a large enough side with Lux toiletries. In room safe although you did have to pay 1 euro to use this each time you wanted to close the safe door. No minibar in the room although the hotel does have vending machines for drinks sandwiches and ice etc which are located in the reception area and which are reasonably priced compared to nearby shops.

Complimentary newspaper ABC/La Vanguardia/AS each day also and in room TV with Canal + and also BBC World/CNN/Fox News.

The beds were quite comfortable and slept really well over the 4 nights we stayed, although this was probably due to the internal facing room and it being at the end of the corridor. I can imagine that room numbers 01-03 on each floor are very noisy as these are right by the tiny lifts on each floor.

Got a glimpse of the other rooms on the floor whilst they were being cleaned on a daily basis and to be honest we were very lucky. Other rooms especially any twins or singles as are very small or in a bad state, so it is a case of pot luck.

Staff are friendly and you can store luggage at the hotel on the day of departure if needed. For the price paid 41euro a night and considering the location this is a bargain, although Madrid nowadays is on a par with some Scandanavian cities for cost of eating out and drinking in bars!!

I recommend skipping breakfast and heading left out of the hotel to Cafe Nebraska Cafe and Churros for €1.95!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2009

The location is very central, which means NOISY. Despite the double-glazed windows, the street noise kept me awake all night for three nights. Sirens, loud drunken singing and shouting, etc. And my room was on the side street, not on Gran Via. And in early May it was already pretty hot (28 degC) but they said the air conditioning wouldn't be turned on until June, so the room was hot and stuffy. Internet was 15 euros/day and worked only smasmodically. Price was definitely not in line with the quality of the experience. The Tryp Ambassador is one street back, much quieter, one more star, about the same price and the a/c was working.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 April 2009

Having read some of the reviews here, we had very low expectations of this place. We got a great deal on rates (blind auction) and so we were wary (based on reviews). However we were delighted with the result! The hotel does indeed have a lobby at basement level but the staff were fine and the room was spacious, clean and quiet. This is a perfectly respectable mid range hotel in a convenient central Madrid location. We had a great stay here and would most definitely go again.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2009

We weren't expecting much from this hotel after reading all the other reviews, but were pleasantly surprised.
This one is on Gran Via 43, say that because there are three of them in the same road.
Reception staff were very good apart from one guy I would like to meet again! More on that later.Check in guy was very good and very efficent. No porters so had to take all our suitcases down to the ground floor then had to take a very small lift to our room. Room was good. Quite big, clean and very quiet.Heating worked fine as well. Good shower with pleanty of water and force.
Breakfast was good and early so we could sightsee early. Plenty of choice of things to eat and fresh fruit as well. I was impressed at their selection after some other places we had stayed in. Situated in a very good place to be able to walk everywhere and see most of all the sights we would want to tick off your list. Lounge area good, and felt relaxing.
No free internet for overseas travellers was a bummer.
My gripe is with one of the reception staff who when we asked for a recommendation for a moderately priced dinner, he assured us that a place called Tres something or other, around the corner from the hotel would be great for us. We went and got fleeced right royalily.Try $435 for a plate of seafood, that was all we had. No drink nothing! I was livid.
He had to be getting a kick back.
O.K. the hotel was average but good. It's not a five star but it did have everything we needed and were very helpful. Maybe they should look at internet for casual travellers though.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2009

Stayed at Tryp Rex recently. Room was facing the Gran Viva, but with windows closed traffic noise wasn't too bad, tested the A/C and it didn't seem to work (perhaps as it was switched off for the winter) however if it didn't work in the summer could be a serious problem. Walls certainly could use a new paint job, and overall decoration was a bit tired. Location was excellent and we only paid £10 a night as we booked on a web special so no complaints about value for money. I probably would have been reasonably happy up to £40....assuming the A/C worked or we weren't facing the street in the summer.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2008

I had encountered a terrible experience during my recent stay at Tryp Rex Hotel in Madrid.

The rooms facing the Gran Via are extremely NOISY. My friend stayed there. In my room, the towels were torn and frayed. The internet connection did NOT work and nothing was done to assist me to retrieve my emails.

Having travelled to numerous destinations round the world and staying in many hotels of different categories, I found the staff at the reception extremely NON hospitable and not at all welcoming. On the contrary, I thought they were very rude at the reception. I tried to speak to the Manager to inform him to improve on this but I was not given access.

I tried to borrow a spoon at 8pm one night and was told that this was not possible and they refused to assist and finally did not even lend me on. It was claimed that it was not possible to open the restaurant.

Whilst the staff at the reception were not busy, they (3 of them) did not even assist me to open. They left me to my own devices to open the door, bring out the bags and up the stairs and later to come down to close the door whilst the receptionists were just only chatting at 4pm on the depature date.

I will definitely would not recommend this hotel to anyone visiting madrid as there are many hotels with great deals. I was so upset with them that I nearly cancelled the onward bookings with the same chain. I really hope that the management will do something to rectify or improve.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)