“Comfortable and quiet”

Ranked #350 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Torpoint, United Kingdom
“Comfortable and quiet”
Reviewed 25 October 2011

It has been years since I stayed in a Hostal, but I recently stayed for 9 days at Hostal Lopez in Madrid and it has restored my faith in them. I will certainly be loathe to pay for pricier options in future. For approx 39 euros per night I had my own very clean room with a fan. My only complaint was that I was only issued with sheets and was a tiny bit cold, but the manager later informed me I need only have asked and blankets would have been given. The room is spotlessly clean and serviced every day. The family who run the hotel were so honest, I left valuables and cash in my room without thinking about it.

Very close to the Anton Martin metro (two stops from Gran Via). Main shopping district 5 mins walk, on a lively pedestrianised street with lots of super cafes and tapas bars. The nightlife in the area isn't as heavy as in some other areas (Chueca, for example), but is still full of life and local colour.

Room Tip: For a quieter room ask for inside facing. If you like a birds-eye view out onto the street ask for s...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Cara T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Bridgetown, Barbados
Reviewed 31 May 2011

I know we're going to sound like relatives of the owners - we're not. My teenage daughter and I stayed for 4 nights the week before Easter and had a great time. We wanted to spend our budget seeing galleries and drinking & eating, so the central location suited us well. But for 25 euros a night I expected a hell-hole. I was prepared to strip a plastic mattress-cover off the bed, and buy myself a decent pillow. I packed earplugs.

The hostal is on the 4th and 5th? floors of an old apartment block. The reception area (next to the owners' apartment) is nothing snazzy, but you won't spend any time there, apart from paying your bill (after you arrive, in cash: they take card details over the phone / by email just to secure your booking), or collecting your luggage (they were happy for us to leave it after we checked out on our last day).

Our room on the next floor up was as small and bare as a monk's cell, but I hate kitsch hotel-room-artworks, so that suited us! Crispy white sheets, pillows were fine, plenty of hangers in the cupboard, and the room and en-suite were spotless. Enough hot water for 2 toasty showers each morning. What's even more amazing (for 25 euros each) was that the room was cleaned and made up and the towels changed every day.

Lopez madre y padre speak very little English but padre was very welcoming. Their adult daughter Nuria speaks excellent English and was warm and charming, recommending a great restaurant around the corner for the (late) night when we first arrived.

The weather was unseasonably rainy the week we were there (though we still loved Madrid). One day when it poured during the day, Sr Lopez checked our room and closed the window so our luggage didn't get soaked. And they lent us an umbrella! Las Huertas was fantasctically central for post-prandial siestas, and great tapas bars are a gentle stroll away at either end of the street. We loved trying different cafes for breakfast.

I had been worried about noise from the bars on the street, and had asked for a room at the back (which overlooked the central light-well). We never heard a peep from fellow guests, or from revellers in the street (perhaps subdued by rain?). As we were leaving I commiserated with Nuria that it had been a very quiet week and she was perplexed: she assured us the hostel was booked out!

It wasn't glamorous, or even characterful, but we arrived with low expectations and were absolutely delighted. Our in-laws are planning to stop over here in summer, en route to southern Spain.

Room Tip: A room at the back had no street noise
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Forgot_my_2thbrush
Adelaide, South Australia
Reviewed 24 November 2007

We (three adults) stayed in this hostel for three nights. We chose the Lopez because it was very cheap and very very close to the three major museums in Madrid, the Prado, Reina Sofia and Thyssen Bornemisza. It is also right in the centre of many eateries of various standards.
The hostel does not offer breakfast so we walked down to the end of the street to a tapas bar for coffee and hot breakfast, sitting outside as the weather was mild. This restaurant also offers very nice dinners - their duck was to die for. We also tried Indian which was delicious. You have to be choosy with your places though as on our last night the place was a hole.
The hotel itself has reception on the 1st floor and our room was on the third floor with no lift. The stairs are hard to negotiate with luggage expecially the wooden ones. The place is cheap and reflected it. Towels were thin, blankets also. Pillows very uncomfortable. The room was not square and for 3 people too small. Wifi was supposed to be provided in the reception area but did not work well for some guests though it worked for us.
I don't know if this is considered good value for Madrid, and while there is nothing really wrong with the hostel, I think I would pay the extra for a lift and breakfast in another part of town.

• Liked — Proximity to major museums and restaurants
  • Disliked — No lift, cheap, low quality facilities
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Viscountess

Travellers are raving about these Madrid hotels

Bangkok
Reviewed 3 July 2007

We've just returned from a 10-day trip to Madrid and Barcelona. We stayed at Hostal Lopez for our whole trip in Madrid. This hostal is in a great location near Anton Martin metro station, and 10-min walking distance to Atocha Train Station where we took Renfe to Toledo, and in walking distance to Museo del Prado and Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza . Aside from small grocery shop, there's a supermarket "Macardo Anton Martin" near by, across street fromo metro station. Lopez family is nice, but only s. Nuria Lopez (the young lady) can speak English. The room is clean enough and towel is changed every day. Aside from good hot water, there's a central A/C if it's too warm. However, there is no elevator, so we had to climb to the thrid floor (which is on the 4th floor actually, they do not count ground fllor) We got a room on 3rd floor with one window face "Calle Huertas". There're lots of bar along the street around the hostal, so it's a bit noisy at night, but we managed to sleep though. After lots of walking the whole day we could sleep just right after our head touched the pillow.

• Liked — hospitality
  • Disliked — No internet access
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
4 Thank I_am_Fira
North Carolina
Reviewed 25 January 2007

Nice Hostal and located in a great location. This family-run hostal is and excellent base to explore Madrid. Close to subway and other attractions. Three subway changes from airport but
easy if you don't have heavy bags and the escalators are working in the transfer stations. The owners are very friendly and the daughter speaks English well and is very helpful. I highly recommend this hostel for anyone on a budget but wants a comfortable and safe stay in Madrid. There is a large city market within walking distance and good restaurants and pubs closeby.

Stayed January 2007
7 Thank Citytravel
Pescara
Reviewed 17 January 2007

I stay here for My New Years' Holiday. Good choice. Small, basic and good relationship between price and location. Location is very good, nearby pub, shops, restaurant, metro station and main street as Calle del Prado. Mrs Lopez and her family are friendly, only lack .... is not possible to pay by credit card but only cash ... however ....
I suggest it!!!

• Stayed January 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank Luisa D
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 March 2006

This is a very cute hostel in a lovely area of Madrid. This hostel is very safe and on a street with bars, shops, and restaurants. I stayed at this hostel with my partner. Our room was small, but had all of the necessary ammenities: bathroom, hot water, heat, clean linens, etc. Cleaning staff made our bed and cleaned our room daily. The hostel staff were very nice and happy to help with directions and recommendations for places to visit in the city.

• Stayed February 2006