“Trust the feel of the genuine helpfulness”
Review of Hotel Regina

Hotel Regina
Ranked #123 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Kotka, Finland
“Trust the feel of the genuine helpfulness”
Reviewed 14 March 2010

My mom and I (Riia) booked a standard room coming from Finland, and my brother and his family booked independently a superior room, coming from Bulgaria. I had emailed the hotel, in English, a few weeks prior to arriving, asking if we could have a smoking room and if they might be able to situate us close to each other. I never received a reply, but when we got there, it turned out we had a room on the same 5th floor as my bro’s family.

Even though our room wasn’t as big as theirs, it was about the same in décor. They just had a bigger bed, which, sleeping with mom instead of my wife, would have been great – or at least we could have used two separate beds. They also had a bigger bathroom and the bedroom, but that was neither here or there, as the sizes of ours were bigger than most standard rooms.

Same size balconies and the balconies were BIG. And even though the hotel had told us there’s NO SMOKING anywhere (except in its bar/café, or outside/inside by the sliding front doors), we of course broke the rules and smoked on the balconies (so sue us? Petty rules for petty people, or should I say the government of EU?).

The staff was very friendly and helpful, although few of them knew English that well - usually better than my Spanish though!

The location was great. Next door to several coffee shops, and only a block or two away from ‘the action’ like Gran Via and Puerta del Sol. If you want shops right by your hotel, this would not be it, you’ll have to walk a little, but they are not far.

The food in their café/bar and in their restaurant are overpriced, but again, the service is incredible. For example, in the bar, they give you free tapas with drinks. Their restaurant probably keeps advertizing 50% off paellas, and when the ‘original price’ is 32 euros, the 16 euros is still way too much.

Check out the Restaurant Paella de la Reina very close by – the quality of food is superior. But for the respect of the staff at the hotel, they found out the phone number of a (competing?) restaurant, and made us reservations.

It’s hard for me to believe Hotel Regina is rated only 3 stars – I’d rate it at least 4. I very much enjoyed the stay there.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank RiiaTepa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
CUMBRIA,ENGLAND
Reviewed 9 March 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Regina early March to visit the superb museums and explore the city. The hotel lived up to all the positive reviews. It's location is ideal. Right next door to the easy to use Metro making it great to get to and from Barajas airport (2 euros!!!) or if you need to go further out in the city. we were there for 4 days and our main reason to visit was the Prado,Reina Sofia,the Thyssens,the Retiro and the Royal Palace mixed up with a bit of shopping and general strolling through the streets of this vibrant capital. Madrid live up to and exceeded our expectations on all counts. The hotel was very clean, our room at the back of the hotel was very quiet from the noisy busy street. Our room (208) was comfortable with a well fitted bathroom and a telly which we did not use except to watch out for the weather reports. After walking all day we did not want to go searching for somewhere to eat and ate each evening in their restaurant. The menu del dia was superb value at 16euros for freshly cooked tasty food. We will remember the suckling pig which one could cut with your fork! The fish dishes were also superb. You could eat for a lot less in all the commercial eateries and other smaller restaurants, but none would exceed the comfortr or convenience of the Regina. The waitresses and the waiter were all very polite and helpful in translating the various menus.
Exploring Madrid was magic. None of the main attractions (I do not include the football stadium) is far from the Regina. It's only 15-20 minutes walk to any of the big galleries or the Gran Via or the Plaza del Sol or the Plaza Mayor or El corte Ingles etc.etc.
We felt comfortable at all times walking the streets and riding the Metro. Being pensioners entrance was free to the Prado and the Reina Sofia and much reduced at all the other sights. Take your passport to validate your age(over 65)they ask for it every time. The art at the Prado ,Sofia and Thyssens is without parallel and if you are into that ,you will be in heaven. History is everywhere and you will be aware that it is a capital city and very much the seat of power for the country,big cars,security and camera crews everywhere. Weather in March is always iffy and it was cold and rainy on a couple of days but it did not matter as we were indoors most of the time. We would recommend Madrid as a stimulating and marvellous place to stay ,and the Regina the hotel in which to rest and enjoy it.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BUCEPHALES
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2010

I just stayed at the Hotel Regina from February 25 - March 2, 2010. I was visiting Spain for the first time with my spouse and decided to choose Regina due to its great location. It is truly situated in a very nice area of Madrid, central to everything - metro (Seville - red line) and close to the Times Square of Madrid, Puerto del Sol. It has grocery stores, restaurants, museums, royal palace all within walking distances. For my LGBT friends, this is right next to the gay area of Chueca - so you can party all night and then walk back to the hotel.

As for the hotel, the room we got was a back room #117, so it was away from Alcala street and hence no traffic noise. The room was comfortable and clean when we got there with enough closet space for the 2 of us. The bathroom has a walk in shower with good hot water. There are no bedside clocks here, as is the norm in any European hotel, so if you are used to it bring along a travel watch. The bed mattress was not too great in my opinion, I like a firm mattress and mine was squeeshy. The room is also safe as far as valuables storage is concerned - there is a safe in the room, I just put a lock on my bag when I was out. The rooms are a bit thin-walled, so if you have a noisy neighbor, you may hear it - I was lucky that way.

The hotel staff were pretty helpful, we even left our bags there as our flight to Barcelona was much later at night and we had to check out by 12pm. The hotel does have a restaurant, Amayra, that offers a 2 for 1 dinner for about Euro32 that includes 2 courses, appetizer and a dessert. But there are so many tapas bars and restaurants around, you really do not need to eat there.

The 2 biggest issues I had with the places were the bad internet service and the heavy smoke smell even in a non-smoking room - let me explain.

The internet was WiFi in the rooms but was very touchy - the connection would keep dropping every few minutes and the best times to use it were either early morning or late nights. At peak hours, just about forget it!! I believe that any modern hotel should have good reliable internet service - if not do not advertize that you do have it.

Secondly, the room I was in was a non-smoking room. However, I do not think all the rooms on the floor were. Also there was a lounge area just next to the room where people would light up. So the smoke would just permeate everywhere. At night I placed a damp towel next to the edge of my room door to keep the smoke out - it helped a bit. They need to organize the zones better so that it is truly a non-smoking room.

Other than those 2 concerns, my stay was pleasant and enjoyable - Madrid is an awesome city and I may stay at this location again.

1 Thank Seraphimo
Virginia
Reviewed 6 March 2010

This is a greatly located hotel and rooms are very clean and spacious enough. Bathrooms are very clean and modern. The hotel is right by the metro and very close (5 minute walk) to Puerta Del Sol and less than 15 minute walk to most other attractions in Madrid. It was chilly when we went (about 40s during the day) but still it was bearable to walk everywhere.

As far as the noise is concerned, it would have been a problem if we were staying for a week or so but being we were only there 4 nights it wasn't so bad. And if you tell the staff, they do try to accomodate and help lessen the noise (they switched us to different room since our first room was facing outside street and I also heard them telling the late night drinkers in the hallway to kindly go to their rooms). To make up for the disruption, they did give us complimentary buffet breakfast one of the days which was nice.

All in all, I would stay here again but would definitely make sure to get an inside room.

One more thing, I know we were in a non-smoking room but you can still smell smoke a little bit when others are smoking in their rooms. But I think I am a bit more particular about second-hand smoke than the average person.

Also we got a great deal on the hotel for less than 100USD/night so I think we came out pretty well.

The only reason I didn't give this hotel 5 stars is bc of the noise issue.

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sharvuda
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 March 2010

First the good - as others have indicated, the hotel is very central and well served by the Metro (there's a station just out the front door). Our booking included breakfast and during this past week I found the food to be very good.

Now for the not so good. The hotel is a bit thread bare and in need of modernization. There is wireless internet in the rooms - but the connection can be quite erratic and the signal drops out with regularity which can be annoying, The internet available in the lobby is much better - but they charge by the half hour. But the real problem is the cigarette smoke. Unlike many other European countries, Spain hasn't instituted an indoor smoking ban and boy do the Spaniards like their smokes. In bars and restaurants smoking is the norm and (as in other European destinations) space is at a premium so your very likely to have a burning cigarette inches from your face in most establishments. The issue at the hotel stems from folks smoking in the lobby and as the hotel is old and lacks proper ventilation, the smoke carries up the central staircase and into the rooms. As I write this I can taste the cigarette smoke in the room and despite putting blankets under the door to stop the smokey intrusion, it pretty well permeates the place. Others in my group have noticed the same. Our clothes and luggage really smell and after a week here I've noticed a constant tickle in my throat - though I don't smoke I seem to have developed a smoker's cough.

There are a few other issues - the place is very loud as there is little insulation between the rooms and the doors are very thin ... sound really travels here; ear plugs are VERY recommended. The real issue is the smoke though and for that reason I will definitely be staying elsewhere when I return later this year.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank arielized
Dublin
Reviewed 2 March 2010

This is our second stay at this hotel and it will be our hotel of choice for future visits to Madrid.

Georgia
Reviewed 24 February 2010

Hotel regina is in a perfect location. You can walk to Porta del Sol in a few minutes and easily get to many sites from there.Right by the Sevilla metro station. The lobby is a little cramped but how much time do you really spend there. Rooms a very clean and basic.The pillows are great. Staff is pleasant and helpful. The cafe is good but you can get plenty of cheaper breakfasts right next door. There are restaurants and cafes everywhere. You are in a great location for an unbelievable price. I would return here without a second thought.