“Far Better than Expected!”
Review of Hotel Europa

Hotel Europa
Ranked #40 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Nashville
“Far Better than Expected!”
Reviewed 30 June 2008

What a great little hotel! Can't be beat for the price. We loved everything about it.

We wanted to stay in a central location and you can't beat the location of this hotel. We were in Paris right before Madrid and were expecting something similar to what we stayed in there (small bathroom, no-a/c, bad service, etc.) but were completely surprised and pleased with Hotel Europa. It far exceeded all of our expectations.

All of the staff are friendly, competent, and helpful. The entire hotel is very clean and modern. Although it is right on Puerta Del Sol (lots of pedestrian traffic) it is very secure and safe. We requested a room on the highest floor possible and you should too. The rooms facing the outside of the hotel all have a small half balcony with double doors and double-pane glass. The Puerta Del Sol can be a little noisy with all the shops, restaurants and musicians, but with the doors closed we couldn't hear a thing. The late-afternoon sun would shine right on the balcony and it was nearly magical in a way to stand there and bask in the warm Madrid sun with the narrow streets, pedestrians, and old buildings below.

The room had 2 beds and was big for a European hotel. The bathroom was huge and sparkling clean each day. It had both bath and shower (again a rarity) and the floor, walls and vanity were all polished stone. Our room was located on the side street (Calle del Carmen) instead of directly facing the Puerta which we liked better. Many shops and restaurants are in walking distance, the Metro is a couple steps away. Plaza Mayor is a 5 minute walk, as is San Gines Chocolateria. Starbucks is right down the street, and the double decker bus tour stops at Puerta del Sol (worth the money to see Madrid sights- and they sell tickets at the hotel front desk.)

Ample closet space, in-room safe, great central heat/air, and overall a quiet environment. Also the Hotel cafe is great for late night snack or coffee & breakfast in the morning.

Only one downside is that the internet connection was quite slow, not sure why. Wireless does not reach the upper floors although it is available in the lobby. When we inquired about the slowness of the hard-wired connection in the room, we were told that we should rent a cable from the hotel for $2 per day and the speed would be improved. Sounds like a scam to me, although I never felt that the staff were dishonest or misleading in any way. Maybe I misinterpreted what they were saying

Book this hotel now because they undoubtedly will be awarded more stars which means they can raise their rates. Right now it is a bargain for the location and level of service.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank americanblue

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Sheffield
Reviewed 21 June 2008

I choose this hotel after reading the other reviews on Trip Advisor and I was not disappointed. During our five night stay I had to keep reminding myself that yes I could afford a hotel with beautiful rooms, marble bathrooms and corridors, gorgeous stairways, wonderful views and right in the very centre of Madrid. We stayed in double room 221 - which was a corner room right on the Puerto Del Sol. Because it is a corner room we had two balconies, one of which was right over the Madrid Bear statue. I couldn't believe we were getting this standard of accommodation, in the centre of Madrid for £75 a night!

The staff were helpful, there is a PC available in the reception area for internet access. This was often busy, but we just hopped on if it happened to be free as we were passing through. Pretty much everything we wanted to see in Madrid was within walking distance of this hotel. Plaza Mayor is only five minutes walk away (at a leisurely pace), the palace is around 10 minutes walk, Gran Via is about 5 mins, Plaze De Espana about 10 mins, Retiro Park is about 20 mins.

The hotel is incredibly easy to find, you just take the Metro to Sol, go to the Calle de Carmen exit and look for the statue of the bear.

The only negative thing I can think of is that night times could be very noisy, as street performers sometimes gather at the bear and can play until well past midnight - so it may not be right if you like early nights.

Overall, a wonderful hotel, at an amazing price and in a great location.

• Liked — High quality rooms
  • Disliked — Sometimes noisy at night due to street performers
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sw121
Texas
Reviewed 17 June 2008

We (2 adults + 1 teenager) spent comfortable 3 nights in 4th floor room overlooking the Puerta del Sol in early June. We checked in early and room was already ready at 10 a.m., and when I requested a larger one, the front desk immediately concurred. Room was not big, by any means, maybe 300 feet? but plenty of room for a queen bed + twin. Nice view with small balcony, which was mostly quiet, but watch out for the drunks outside at 4 a.m. and the saxaphone player!

The hotel was clean, well run, and the staff was friendly and helpful.

Free internet in lobby.

Great location.

Cost of room: 120 Euros.

• Liked — see review
  • Disliked — noise at 4 a.m.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank wbere
New York
Reviewed 12 May 2008

Firstly, the hotel, in my experience, uses simply, the name, Hotel Europa, as opposed to Hotel Residencia Europa. This maybe significant as they are not listed with the usual booking sites.
I believe it is privately owned and they apparently want to do their thing without involving fees or discounts to anyone.
This however is NOT a drawback as their rates are well below the average.
Like most reviewers, we found our six nights spent in a clean, modern hotel, well run and friendly.
The bathroom in particular was new.

Location is in the very center of Madrid, indeed, in the very center of Spain. Restaurants, shops, Metro, sights, museums are all within easy walking distance.
The room came with cable TV and free Internet access via a cable (wireless and a laptop are also free in the lobby).

Three things detracted from our comfort:

We had a larger room facing the Puerta del Sol and noise was a problem from street musicians
despite the soundproof (almost) glass windows. The music ends at 11 PM but be prepared to be serenaded until then. A smaller room facing away from the square would be the only remedy.
The mattress on the bed was so hard and unsupportive we both had back pains each morning. Nothing chronic, they went away, but be aware.
While there was more than enough space in our room, only straight backed desk chairs were provided. No sofa or easy chair were available at the end of a busy day.

Aside from these caveats, it was a fine place to stay, the savings were considerable and we would return.

• Liked — Value and location.
  • Disliked — Lack of some creature comforts.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank robertpol
San Jose, California
Reviewed 11 May 2008

The enthusiastically glowing reviews of this hotel are well deserved. It is in a great location for playing tourist (the Metro Sol station is right next to the hotel) and it comes at a great price. Everyone I met at the front desk spoke excellent English and had a great attitude.

I had a room with a balcony facing the Puerta del Sol plaza, so I was a little concerned about the noise. However, the windows had double-paned glass, and I usually could not hear the crowd noise above the air conditioner. The room had contemporary furnishings, and everything was clean and in good condition. The room had plenty of space.

In addition to the internet available on a public computer in the lobby, my room had an ethernet connection. You need to have your own CAT5 cable. Somehow, I was not able to make this work, but I suspect that the problem was with my computer. I was told that wifi is available in the lobby, but I did not try it.

I lost my wallet on the Metro between Barajas and the hotel. The staff was understanding and helpful. They provided the toll-free numbers for VISA and MasterCard, and they let me stay even though I did not get a replacement credit card until the last day.

So what did I not like? The room did not have a refrigerator or a minibar. The first few days, I noticed a slightly soapy smell from the sheets and also in the hallways. I don't know if they started rinsing better, or if my nose got desensitized, but I did not notice the smell after a couple days.

The one thing I really did not like was the tiny shower. The inside was only about two feet square (60cm x 60cm), and there was no soap dish or any place to put the soap, shampoo, etc. The plumbing was mounted on the center of the wall, and protruded about 6 inches (15cm) into the shower, encroaching into the precious space. I found it impossible to move around without accidentally hitting the valve and either shutting off the water or changing its temperature; it would have been much better if they had installed the plumbing and controls in the corner, or made the space in the shower a little larger.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank SJCa
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 May 2008

We started our trip to Spain at the Hotel Europa with an overnight stay before we left for a week in Morocco. The staff kindly kept a bag for us till we returned to stay another 3 nights.The Hotel is very centrally located and we walked everywhere. The rooms are very clean and functional,but ask for a quiet one , facing the internal lightwell, as the ones facing the square can be very noisy at night. Great little restaurant/bar attached to the Hotel. The front desk staff were excellent with great suggestions for dinner etc.

• Liked — centrally located
  • Disliked — small rooms
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank geoffdi
london
Reviewed 15 April 2008

Spent 4 March days in cool but sunny Madrid. Situated bang in the centre so people watching from the small balcony is excellent. Room was basic but recently done out, very clean and a good sized modern bathroom with shower over bath. No problem catching airport bus for Euro 1 pp to Avenida Americas and then a taxi/bus etc to hotel. Easy for taxi early morning to airport direct arranged by hotel for around Euro 30. Restaurant/bar attached on ground floor great for simple or big breakfast and a nibble/drink before setting off or coming back in the evening - prices reasonable. All the staff very polite with greater or lesser degrees of English and a smile always greeted a smile. Free internet in lobby for 15 minutes but if no one around for longer. Small charge for room safe. Would definitely stay again if you want ease of location for sites and shopping and at a good no nonsense price.

• Liked — Location, price
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple