“A good choice for travelers on a budget”
Review of Hotel Europa

Hotel Europa
Ranked #60 of 442 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I've just returned from two weeks in Spain and stayed at three hotels (two in Madrid, one in Barcelona). Each of them had good points, note was perfect. But all in all I was quite pleased. The Europe has several things going for it. First is its location, on the Puerta del Sol, which as anyone who has been to Madrid knows, is the literal center of Madrid. It's a large, mostly pedestrian square where there is never a shortage of taxis to whisk you to another section of town, and where there is also a major Metro station, named Sol...it's actually now named Vodaphone Sol (wonder why?), but it is a central stop on what I think of as an efficient and easy to use underground system.

You can get a great deal on Metro tickets by buying a card that gives you ten rides at a fine discount. But remaining on location, I must say that this 66 year old senior got almost everywhere he wanted to go by walking. Sol is only a few minutes from the elegant Plaza Mayor, and not much farther heading west down the pedestrianized Calle de Arenal to the Teatro Real (Royal Theatre) where you can see world class opera. Only one pretty park away from the opera house is the Royal Palace. If you were to go east instead of west you could easily walk to the Prado and other fine museums (and the Prado is a FINE museum -- don't miss it!), also to Atocha Station, where you can catch trains to other parts of Spain. The hop-on, hop-off city sightseeing bus also has a stop on Puerta del Sol. I took advantage of that for two days - as a senior I got a great discount, and of course if you're there for the first time as I was it gives a very good orientation to the city, with headphones explaining in English or your choice of several other languages what you're seeing.

I suspect that there could be noise problems in some of the rooms, but mine looked out on an inner courtyard, not on the square. My room itself was roomy, had a large safe where I could easily store not just my pasort but my 13 inch laptop, it was squeaky clean and air conditioned, and had a television that included CNN International, BBC News and a few other English-language channels so that if you're in need of a news fix in English, it's available.

Breakfast, if you wish to take it, is downstairs in the Europa Restaurant/Cafe. You have the choice of a continental breakfast, which I think consists of a good hard roll and an excellent croissant, plus fresh-squeezed orange juice and coffee (or tea I imagine, but the Spanish do coffee so strong and tasty, why not drink that?). I chose the Europe breakfast, which adds to the above your choice of eggs with ham or bacon (I'd recommend the ham, mixed in with eggs in a scramble).

I also found the restaurant's outdoor seating a great place to get a wine or beer and a bocadilla (a simple sandwich with Iberian ham or sausage or Manchego cheese, other choices as well, and to watch as the Madrilenos paraded by on their evening paseo. One night I ordered an excellent salad, with luscious red tomatoes, so super was solved as well for that evening.

My only carp is that, while Rick Steves recommends this hotel as very friendly, I found them rather perfunctory. Nothing wrong with that, it was just a little off-putting. Perhaps if I'd brought a camera crew along it would have been different.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank DottoreGianni
Write a ReviewReviews (2,879)

Reviewed 10 October 2013

The Hotel Europa put us right in the middle of the action. Our rooms (we stayed twice) overlooked the Puerta Del Sol, the great open plaza at the hub of several roads, right in the centre of Madrid. We were high enough up to be unaffected by the noise, but we had a great view of the constant buzz of theatrical activity and assemblies in the plaza. We wandered in amongst it several evenings and enjoyed the high-energy, friendly buzz. The hotel's entry is on the side street, the Calle del Carmen, where the hotel offers good outdoor dining at all hours - we used it for breakfast, coffee, early-evening drinks and dinner. It's a great place to sit and watch the passing parade of Madrid's families and young working people promenading in the evening after work and before dinner.
The hotel was built in the 1860s and renovated in 2006. It's clean, well-run and helpful - they were happy to mind our bags while we travelled up-country for a week. The staff didn't have a lot of English (not uncommon in Spain) but they were friendly and we muddled through together. Prices were average for Madrid but the location was unbeatable.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Carolyn H
Reviewed 10 October 2013

This hotel is on Puerta del Sol, the center of Madrid. This is a busy plaza with a Metro station for 3 different lines. Location is very convenient for all activities. The plaza is crowded all the time and had frequent noisy demonstrations, so if you are sensitive to noise you might want a room toward the back. The double pane windows shut out most of the noise but some muted noise did come through. It was not enough to keep us awake, but others might be more sensitive. The room was basic, but had everything needed and was perfectly clean. Desk staff was friendly and helpful. Rates are reasonable.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the plaza were fun, but ask for one off the plaza if you are sensitive to noise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We just got back from Spain and I wanted say my 3 nights at Hotel Europa were great. The location couldn't be better and the room was nice and very clean. We ate at the cafeteria attached to the hotel every morning and it was very good. We stayed in a room off of the plaza with a balcony and loved watching the people party all night long. Those who sleep lightly might not want to sleep in these rooms, but we had no problem with the noise. Great stay and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2013

This hotel is *right* off the Puero de Sol. The price is decent and the bathrooms roomy and clean. The rooms themselves are nothing special but how much time will you be spending in the room? I didn't have any of the problems that some here have written about.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Not only is the hotel service clean and impeccable, Madrid is literally at your doorstep. You are right in the middle of the Plaza, with shopping, food and street entertainment outside the front door. Walk to ALL major attractions, and if you want a taxi it is right across the square. We had a balcony view and could see all the crowds and excitement in the street below. But once the windows were closed, heavenly quiet to sleep. We would definitely stay here if ever in Madrid again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathy V
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Good location and near several key destinations like the Prado Museum, Retiro Park, Puerto de Sol (which is full of people especially at night) and Plaza Mayor. Close to metro transportation and several main shopping areas including the Gran Via. There were numerosu good restaurants close by and several flamenco venues within walking distance of the hotel. You cannot ask for a better location if you want to be near a large plaza with lots of restaurants and shops. Somewhat upscale hotel with most amenities. Room was decent size and could accommodate luggage without feeling crowded. Bathroom was excellent and much better than average for a European hotel. We were traveling with our children and asked for adjoining rooms. They were able to accommodate us. Not all hotels will make that effort. Staff was extremely friendly and courteous. Provided good restaurant suggestions and travel directions. Internet service however was spotty and did not work on our last day there. No iron or ironing board for clothes which I view as a basic offering from most hotels. Did not hear any street noise except for those who yelled. Good value for the price. I would stay here again or recommend it to others.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family