3,117 results
All reviewspuerta del solgreat locationrick stevespeople watchingoutdoor cafestreet performersplaza mayorcentral locationwithin walking distanceinterior roomroyal palacesol metro stationbalcony overlookinglight sleeperinner courtyarddepartment storequiet room
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Lovely hotel literally in the center of it all. Very noisy it's true, but we loved it. Our balcony right over the Puerto del Sol gave us a front row seat for all the fabulous people watching we wanted: protests, street performers, drunks, hunger-strikers, soccer games, police activity......we were thoroughly entertained every night. In the morning grab a cheap cafe con leche and egg and bacon sandwich at the restaurant. It has a cut out in the bread for the yolk!!! Short walk or taxi ride to everything! We really enjoyed our stay here.

2  Thank Adnil-94102
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Located just off the Puerta del Sol, this hotel offers great service, clean rooms and access to a restaurant in the building. The staff were very friendly and eager to be of help answering all our questions for directions and calling for a taxi to take us to the airport. We were very satisfied and recommend it with the caution to ask for a room away from the street. It can be noisy at night.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Many posts have mentioned the great location and they are right. El Cortes the #1 department store in the city is about 100 meters from the front door. You can go to the basement and get Starbucks coffee and a full supermarket handy for fruit, yogurt, etc. On the second floor are travel agents who can book train travel for a small fee (Rick Steves recommends this for complicated travels). We stayed at the hotel for 3 days including a day trip to
Segovia then spent 5 days in Salamanca/Toledo before returning to Europa for 2 more days. The cercanias train is located below the metro stop in front of the hotel. We found that it is fast and safe; it will take you to either the Chamartin or Atoche train station. In addition, we used it for our departure--taking it to Atoche and using the Aeropuerto bus that takes you to terminal 1 for the Delta international flight home. The front desk and the TI at Plaza Mejor were great at providing this information.
If you plan to visit any other cities, this location is hard to beat.
However, I have to differ from one of the reviews. We had the corner room with two balconies on a Saturday night and we found the noise disturbing. There was some political rally that droned on until 6:00 AM. Maybe this was an aberration. The shutters do keep out most of the noise, but on this particular night it was hopeless. You can't really blame the hotel for this, but the plaza is not totally charming to me, the mime figures and beggars crowding the plaza are sometimes overwhelming. However, as a trade off, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: It is a matter of taste, but I would prefer a room on the interior to avoid the crowd noise in the late hours.
3  Thank gil014
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I've just returned from two weeks in Spain and stayed at three hotels (two in Madrid, one in Barcelona). Each of them had good points, note was perfect. But all in all I was quite pleased. The Europe has several things going for it. First is its location, on the Puerta del Sol, which as anyone who has been to Madrid knows, is the literal center of Madrid. It's a large, mostly pedestrian square where there is never a shortage of taxis to whisk you to another section of town, and where there is also a major Metro station, named Sol...it's actually now named Vodaphone Sol (wonder why?), but it is a central stop on what I think of as an efficient and easy to use underground system.

You can get a great deal on Metro tickets by buying a card that gives you ten rides at a fine discount. But remaining on location, I must say that this 66 year old senior got almost everywhere he wanted to go by walking. Sol is only a few minutes from the elegant Plaza Mayor, and not much farther heading west down the pedestrianized Calle de Arenal to the Teatro Real (Royal Theatre) where you can see world class opera. Only one pretty park away from the opera house is the Royal Palace. If you were to go east instead of west you could easily walk to the Prado and other fine museums (and the Prado is a FINE museum -- don't miss it!), also to Atocha Station, where you can catch trains to other parts of Spain. The hop-on, hop-off city sightseeing bus also has a stop on Puerta del Sol. I took advantage of that for two days - as a senior I got a great discount, and of course if you're there for the first time as I was it gives a very good orientation to the city, with headphones explaining in English or your choice of several other languages what you're seeing.

I suspect that there could be noise problems in some of the rooms, but mine looked out on an inner courtyard, not on the square. My room itself was roomy, had a large safe where I could easily store not just my pasort but my 13 inch laptop, it was squeaky clean and air conditioned, and had a television that included CNN International, BBC News and a few other English-language channels so that if you're in need of a news fix in English, it's available.

Breakfast, if you wish to take it, is downstairs in the Europa Restaurant/Cafe. You have the choice of a continental breakfast, which I think consists of a good hard roll and an excellent croissant, plus fresh-squeezed orange juice and coffee (or tea I imagine, but the Spanish do coffee so strong and tasty, why not drink that?). I chose the Europe breakfast, which adds to the above your choice of eggs with ham or bacon (I'd recommend the ham, mixed in with eggs in a scramble).

I also found the restaurant's outdoor seating a great place to get a wine or beer and a bocadilla (a simple sandwich with Iberian ham or sausage or Manchego cheese, other choices as well, and to watch as the Madrilenos paraded by on their evening paseo. One night I ordered an excellent salad, with luscious red tomatoes, so super was solved as well for that evening.

My only carp is that, while Rick Steves recommends this hotel as very friendly, I found them rather perfunctory. Nothing wrong with that, it was just a little off-putting. Perhaps if I'd brought a camera crew along it would have been different.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank Jack H
Reviewed 10 October 2013

The Hotel Europa put us right in the middle of the action. Our rooms (we stayed twice) overlooked the Puerta Del Sol, the great open plaza at the hub of several roads, right in the centre of Madrid. We were high enough up to be unaffected by the noise, but we had a great view of the constant buzz of theatrical activity and assemblies in the plaza. We wandered in amongst it several evenings and enjoyed the high-energy, friendly buzz. The hotel's entry is on the side street, the Calle del Carmen, where the hotel offers good outdoor dining at all hours - we used it for breakfast, coffee, early-evening drinks and dinner. It's a great place to sit and watch the passing parade of Madrid's families and young working people promenading in the evening after work and before dinner.
The hotel was built in the 1860s and renovated in 2006. It's clean, well-run and helpful - they were happy to mind our bags while we travelled up-country for a week. The staff didn't have a lot of English (not uncommon in Spain) but they were friendly and we muddled through together. Prices were average for Madrid but the location was unbeatable.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family