Hostal San Lorenzo
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsfresh towels every dayvia stationlocation is greatclean roomsminutes walk awayreception stafftwin roombars and restaurantssmall balconyplaza mayorroyal palacestreetsquarefurnishingswardrobepuerto
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 October 2012

I reserved and paid for a room at the San Lorenzo 3 months in advance and when I showed up they told me the hotel was full. They did provide me with an alternative room at another hostal a few blocks away but the room was smaller though it had a better view. The only explanation I can think of is that I had booked so early and got a fair price and then I realized I had booked for the night before a major holiday so maybe the upped the price and got a taker. I've stayed at the San Lorenzo many times over the years and am disappointed that they would no hold my reservation for me.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Franco46
Reviewed 17 October 2012

We stayed here with my wife for 2 nights. We left the hotel early in the morning and came back at night to sleep, so we didn't spend much time in the room. When in Madrid, who wants to spend time in a hotel room anyway? The room was clean and had basic furniture, but they were all ok. Compared to the hostels on the Gran Via, this was more quiet and without any hookers around. There was sometimes noise coming from the street. Free wireless was ok. We haven't tried the breakfast, so I cannot make any comments.
To summarize, I would suggest everyone to try places like this one instead of staying in other places on Gran Via. They are much more dangerous and noisier. You will spend 10-20 euros more but it's definitely worth it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Having lived in Madrid and visiting it often over the years, I have stayed at many hotels and pensiones (hostals). I now almost always stay at the San Lorenzo if I am on vacation or just need a night in Madrid before an international flight, etc. The location is perfect, right in the heart of the gay neighborhood, and close to everything. It is safe and clean. The rooms are very basic --- no luxury here-- but are very cheap.
Don't get breakfast in the restaurant! The bar/cafe on the corner directly below the hostal serves great food and is much cheaper.
Bottom line, if you just want somewhere to rest that's cheap but cheerful, the San Lorenzo is perfect.

Room Tip: If you want atmosphere, ask for the rooms that look out on the plaza. They are louder but it's fun to people-watch especially during the evenings when people are socializing.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Christopher D
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I stayed in this hotel while studying in Madrid for over a month, which led me to look for a cheap hotel. i would say that the hotel is good for its price and for its location but that's it. The rooms are extremely basic - and small - but still, quite clean. The wifi is very weak and I suggest you to go to a café rather than take breakfast there. I especially had two misfortunes that lead me to meet a few people of the management, whom, shouldn't forget that they work in hospitality!
First of all, I brought a friend in order to watch a movie on my computer. This lead to a scandal as the front desk clerk accused me of basically going to sleep with this girl, which was "impossible as I had a single room". They treated my friend as a prostitute, which was extremely rude. Again, it was just a friend, for a simple DVD night.
My second bad experience is that something has disappeared from my room and I believe that the maid took it. I mentioned this to the management and had a very intense talk with a manager, who was extremely rude and, instead of just saying sorry or trying to find a solution, accused me of being a liar etc...
Nonetheless, if I try to stay honest, the hotel is good if you're not looking for luxury and if you're seeking a good location and good value for money... but do know that you'll be judged! I will personally, never ever step foot there again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Scott B
Reviewed 23 July 2012 via mobile

Great location , quiet area but central to everything . Clean but basic rooms. Decent service. Weak wifi.

• Stayed: July 2012