First what happened, then review of the hotel and room.
I had a prepaid for reservation for Hostal Union for my cousin and I. We mistakenly went into Hostal San Lorenzo, presented my prepaid reservation and waited. They looked for, but didn't find our reservation. They did but informed us they had rooms and booked us in matching the price on the reservation. At this time, we didn't know we were in the wrong hotel, and proceeded to our room, unpacked, called my friend in Madrid and told him we were waiting for his arrival to go to dinner. We showered and waited. My friend informed us, the front desk of Hostal Union, which we thought we were in, said we had not arrived yet. Confronting the front desk, they checked us in when we presented them with a prepaid reservation for Hostal Union, they said it was an error on their part as well as an error on our part. Them for not noticing the reservation was for a different Hostal. Ours for going into the wrong hostel. It was only after the fact we noticed that both the Hostals had signs over the entrance to San Lorenzo. The manager at San Lorenzo agreed not to charge us, even though we had been in the room for several hrs, showered, unpacked, laid in the beds, and used the internet. For that we are grateful.
With that said, here's my review given our several hrs there.
The hostal's location is great. Very close to most the major downtown attractions. They could be walked to with ease. The area was full of shops, variety of restaurants and pubs. The hostal (more like a hotel than hostal) was clean comfortable and staff friendly. Their English was excellent. While we did not eat there, we did see and walked into their dining room where breakfast would have been served and it looked very nice. The breakfast would have been included in the hotel fare, unlike Hostel Union which has no breakfast. The room was large and very comfortable with nice beds and roomy bathroom. The internet was fast and never lost connection while there. As for the staff, they should be more careful to check reservation conformation forms the customer brings in, to be assured they're in the right place given both signs are over their entrance. But again, they were understanding and did not charge us, so they deserve credit for that.
Given a choice in the future, I would rather stay at hostal San Lorenzo than where we did. Unfortunately the other location was prepaid and they would not let us cancel to stay at San Lorenzo. The rooms were larger, nicer and beds more comfortable. The internet worked vastly better. San Lorenzo matched their price and would have included breakfast. That said, I'd recommend Hostal San Lorenzo and would stay there myself.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- H. San Lorenzo has been recently remodelated on the most part of it's installations, situated in a beautiful historical and artistic building, everything is set up to make your stay unforgettable. We offer a vast array of rooms: single, double, triple, quadruple and familiar, all with their own ensuite full bathrooms and free wifi connection, wide windows to enjoy the spectacular views over Vazquez de Mella Square. Within our services are included transfer to the airport, optional breakfast, information service over serveral topics and, above all, a personal treatment from our multilingual receptionists and everyone in our personnel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, HostelWorld, Ebookers, Agoda, Priceline, LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Hostal San Lorenzo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hostal San Lorenzo Madrid
- Hostal San Lorenzo Hotel Madrid