“Very good city hotel”

Ranked #43 of 445 Hotels in Madrid
Zonhoven
“Very good city hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

On 14 June we stayed for 2 nights at this hotel. The location is excellent. You can do a lot of things on foot: Puerta del sol, Plaza Mayor, Plaza Santa Ana( with lots of good tapas bars). You get a very warm welcome.when entering the hotel. We were offered a glass of cava Staff at the front desk are really very nice and helpful. Our bedroom was nice and clean. So was the bathroom. Airco sometimes made some noise, but there was no noise from the street.. We had breakfast at the hotel. It was very good and there was enough choice. In front of the bar is a nice courtyard where you can relax and have a drink. We liked the hotel very much and will certainly come back next time we visit Madrid. .

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Moratindireccion, Director General at Catalonia Puerta del Sol, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Erika,

Thank you very much for taking your time and share your experience at the hotel. We are very happy to know you have had a great stay with us.
I really hope you can visit us again, I am pretty sure we keep improving.

Best regards and thank you one more time.

César Rionda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Evergem, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights, was my first time in Madrid. The hotel is good and situated very close to center of the old town. Everything is very close and can be done by foot. There is also the famous hop on, hop of bus that stops few Streets away. The people at the front desk are very friendly and efficient, all of them are but sure wont forget the friendly smile of Aida. The rooms are spacious, they have what you need, nice big bathroom with all ammenities there. The airco makes some noise now and then but nothing really bad when you put on low speed. I had a lamp that was finished, reported it at front desk and few hours later it was fixed already. The breakfast is good and fresh, you have enough choice in my opinion. Nice courtyard in the hotel to relax and have a drink. I was there when the national strike of taxi drivers started and needed a tranfer to the airport, the people at front desk did whatever they could to get me a private car..and they succeeded so many thanks for that. I can say the hotel has great value and i would definatly go back there when i visit Madrid again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Moratindireccion, Director General at Catalonia Puerta del Sol, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Mr. Hugo Colle,

It´s an honour and so motivate for us to see an opinión as yours. Thank you very much for all your comments, I will let know to all the staff and specially to Aida.
Customers service is our most important comitment and read this opnions keep us improving on it.

Thank you very much and hope to see you back.

United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

We needed a room near the Atocha Railroad Station for one night and this hotel was perfect. Easy to find and a very short ride on the metro to and from the railroad station. Service was excellent and very friendly. The room was quite large and 5 star quality. The bathroom was particularly nice.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear DavidTP2011,

Thank you very nice for you comments and share them on Trip Advisor.
I´m happy you had a good stay with us and hope you come back.

César RIonda
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed two nights here. Loved it for the location, the charming feel to it with the mix of it's 19th century and modern construction. The service is good as in I didn't have complaints about much except the air conditioning for the entire hotel seemed to be problematic on the first night. Seeing I wasn't convinced when I complained about the warm night, they offered to change my room seeing that I suspected it to be an issue with my room Aircon. Second night the Aircon was just fine. I opted to take the breakfast add on seeing that it would cost me just as much of I has a similar spread anywhere else. The breakfast (€12) is good. Fresh everything. Hotel is 2 minutes walk to Plaza Mayor, and a 6-7 minute walk to the Prado. It's in the heart of the centro area. Which is fantastic. I could walk a good 4km radius which pretty much covers the areas I wanted to get to. The front desk is efficient and friendly. I opted for the room facing the courtyard since I wanted quiet at night and that's what I got. I'm not big on grand room views so this works for me. Rooms are no frills. But clean. Always very clean. Beds on the softer side for me but that's been my consistent experience in the whole country till now.

Stayed at 3 Catalonia hotels now and I've a good idea of what works with them and what doesn't.

Expect clean rooms, good value and good front desk service.

Don't expect frills, fancy accessories and a resort feel.

Personal stay where value is a consideration, this is a good place to be.

PS: make sure to eat at least once at the La Rollerie right opposite the hotel. Great food, ambience and service.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank pan-kan
Moratindireccion, Director General at Catalonia Puerta del Sol, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Pan-Kan,

Thank you for your comments.
A/A conditoning sistem is working now perfectly sorry if in your time was not as good as you espected. Good to know that in your second night you could sleep well.

Hope you can visit us in the future because we are renovating our rooms , the hotel entrance and elevators.

Stockport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stopped here for 2 nights, we had originally booked another hotel in the same chain but received an email a couple of days before our stay to say due to technical issues we were being moved to another hotel on the same road. The reception area is a bit like a small internal courtyard, quite nice. Check in was quick and easy but the bedrooms sadly lack. The beds look brick hard, very square and not at all inviting but saying that they did turn out to be comfortable. Our room overlooked the internal courtyard and had just one small window, the whole room was dull, basic, dark and drab. I had planned on having room service and a pamper night with my daughter on the Friday night but no way could I have stayed in that room all night. I would expect decor like that in a youth hostel or somewhere similar not a hotel. Location is great as only a few minutes from lots of squares and plazas with lots of little tapas bars and cafés. Breakfast was a buffet style breakfast which we tried on the first morning but decided to go elsewhere the second morning, across the road from the hotel is a little coffee shop on the corner, we went there instead and would definitely recommend it, they didn't have English menus though so we had to try and work out what things were, it was lovely though and was filled with locals which I always think is a good sign if the locals eat there. Good location for a short stay but I wouldn't return to that hotel as I feel the rooms really let it down.

Room Tip: I've read reviews where people say the road side rooms are noisy but I cannot comment as ours wa...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Moratindireccion, Director General at Catalonia Puerta del Sol, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Lindsey 69_10,

First of all I want to thank you for taking your time and let us know about your stay.
I am really sorry that you did not have a wonderful stay.
The good news is that actually we are changing all the decoration in all romos, so in a short time of period all romos will be new decorate and look more fresh, modern...

Hope you can visit us again, I am sure you will not regret.

Beste regards,

Brentford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

What a fantastic find, stayed here through work in May 14. good size rooms, large bed, pleasant public areas, and a lovely buffet breakfast, brilliant location for getting around the centre of Madrid.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank David A
Dear David A,

Thank you very much for your comments.

I am really happy you had a great stay with us and you enjoy our new buffet.

Hope you coming back son.

Colchester, Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Our second visit to the Catalonia Puerta del Sol and we enjoyed it just as much as the first. We were a little worried that noise from the supporters of Real and Atletico outside on Champions' League Final night would disturb our sleep, but the fact that the hotel is built inside the thick walls of an old building made it blissfully quiet. Some people have complained that the rooms face into an inner courtyard and this makes the rooms dark, but we feel that this makes the hotel an oasis of calm on busy Calle Atocha, especially when the Madrid summer is scorching outside..

Breakfast was even better than on our last stay. This time we had a standard room rather than a superior, which was smaller but still perfectly comfortable - nice beds, plenty of hanging space and pleasant en-suite. Any little problems are swiftly sorted by the hotel staff, who are all very pleasant and efficient.

I think this hotel offers excellent value for a comfortable stay right in the heart of Madrid, within easy walking distance of the Prado, Retiro Park and my favourite Plaza, Santa Ana. Looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Moratindireccion, Director General at Catalonia Puerta del Sol, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Chief Weasel,

It is such an honour for us that a regular guest as you come back to the hotel.
I really apreciate your comments about the breakfast we have done many changes on it and we are still imporving it.

Same thing with romos, decoration of the romos is in proces and all romos are renovating. Also we are making the entrance of the hotel more wellcoming. Hope for your next visit you can give us your feed back and i am pretty sure you will like it.

Thank you very much for share your comments with us.