“Great location, but customer service is eh”

Hostal Puerta del Sol
Ranked #47 of 391 Speciality Lodging in Madrid
“Great location, but customer service is eh”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

My sister and I booked this hotel for 9 nights during the summer. We payed extra for a private bathroom (not much extra per night and completely worth it in my opinion). The room is about the size of a matchbox with a tv smaller than my computer screen and a bed as hard as the floor, but we didn't expect anything extravagant for the price we paid. There was also no telephone in the room, but we were able to connect to wifi. The sheets and bath towels were changed out every other day. As mentioned in other reviews, the location is exceptional.

We didn't have any issues with this place because we knew what to expect for what we paid, however, the receptionist at the front could be a bit nicer. We checked in the hotel in the morning and after getting our stuff situation in the room, we went downstairs to get some breakfast (consisting of toast and watered down orange juice) after a long flight. The receptionist not-so-kindly told us that we had checked in early and were not entitled to the free "breakfast" until the next day. Awkwarrrrrrd.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We booked this hotel only 1 hour before arriving and got a good price for a 3 night stay. The hotel was quite difficult to find but thanks to a couple of police officers we found it. We had a room with a small Juliet balcony which provided a great view. The two single beds were quite loud and not overly comfortable but did the trick. The room itself was cleaned daily with new towels provided. The room also had a wash basin. The 3 shared bathrooms were just ok. They were cleaned once a day. The shower in the one at the end of the hall was horrible (too small) use the other two (much better). The WIFI in our room worked great but we were very close to the reception. The breakfast was quite simple (toast, cereal, biscuits, cheese, meat, coffee, tea and juice) but good. The owners were very friendly and helpful. I would stay again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking Puerta del Sol
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank gmun
Broomfield, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I stayed for eight nights. They charge payment upon arrival, and there are no refunds. The noise from the other rooms and the corridor was so loud at all hours of the night, I couldn't get any sleep. When I complained to the manager about the noise, I was told that the other guests had paid their money for their rooms, and could behave as they liked. I guess my money wasn't worth as much as theirs. I was further insulted by being told that no hotel anywhere in the world would be willing to deal with noise complaints. Obviously he hadn't noticed the vast array of stamps in my passport at check-in. I'm actually an experienced budget traveler. If you want to fight, blare your music, and have loud sex, all with the door of your room wide open, this is defiantly the place for you! Just make sure you have the right passport! Unfortunately, it wasn't until after my stay that I read further into the owner's responses to reviews of this hostel. It was then that I realized I could add unfriendly to Americans to the list of unacceptable things about this place. Owner responses to negative European reviewers are friendly quips signed "Best Regards." Owner responses to negativity from Americans is vastly different! When Europeans want to belittle Americans, they have two favorite "go-to"s. First, they insult our eating habits. Then, they accuse us of being disrespectful by wanting everyplace in the world to be exactly like America. Sadly yes, there are many Americans that fit this stereotype. There are also many more that do not! Like racism, and anti antisemitism, my patience for these types of insults is very thin! Sweeping assumptions about someone based on the country in which their passport was issued is highly offensive! Yes, there are signs in reception threatening to pepper spray people. Furthermore, it's not only Americans who give negative reviews to their breakfast. I encourage other Americans to read further into owner comments before you decide to give this business your "wonderful american" dollars. Also, a note to less experienced budget travelers. Know that you don't have to "go with big money" to find a good night sleep and A LOT more respect. Not every budget hotel will judge you by your passport!

Room Tip: Good rooms and good people are elsewhere.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Ingrid E
Scotland
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I stayed here at the end of October. If you are looking for a great budget hostel, with wonderful helpful friendly staff, very clean rooms, a location that can not be beat, best value in Madrid, good free breakfast, free wifi etc etc this is the place for YOU. The two guys that run the front desk can not do enough for you.,other staff are just as helpful and friendly.. I had a great room with private bathroom,and lots of hot water,clean towels every day, spotlessly clean. Would definately stay again.. Try it you will NOT be dissapointed ..

Room Tip: take a room with private bathroom at these prices you can afford it.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
St. Pete, FL
Reviewed 19 May 2013

If you're a seasoned budget traveler, this is the spot for you. This hostel is clean, large and friendly. Free breakfast (typical hostel fair - toast, cereal, coffee), the rooms are cleaned daily, and the location is right in the heart of Puerta del Sol. Absolutely can't beat it for the price.

Look, if you're a regular hostel-hopper, you know what a *really* bad hostel is like, and this is not one of them. I think sometimes people with less experience see the price tag and still expect 3-4 star lodgings, then leave a bad review when the business doesn't meet their expectations. Read the reviews of regular world travelers, educate yourself, and go in with more reasonable expectations. Yes, it's a shared bathroom, but it was cleaned every day. The mattresses on our beds were fine, but they're not the feathertops you'll get at Marriott. If you need that when you travel, stay at a Marriott.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank shopgirlmeg
Madrid
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Very good located in the heart of Madrid Center. But !!! 1 Bathroom for 6 rooms ! Doors and beds make noise. The walls were too fine, you ear everything from other rooms and other flours !!! The worst bed of my life !!! Hard and grate ! The breakfirst sucks.... There is almost no choice. The Wi-fi was free but I couldn't get it from my room !!!! Only from the reception and not in the dinneroom (Its supposed to but the signal was too weak !) So for me, the baddest hotel I ever went. For this price, you can't wait for luxury but there is a limit ! Only the location was excellent. My recommandation : Go on Plaza Del Sol but don't take this hotel !!!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Olivier D
Reviewed 7 March 2013 via mobile

So we're young, on a budget, want to be in the action and like clean places but dont mind a bit of grit. Theres been 2 protests in 2 days in the square. Talk abouy action! Needless to say, we stayed here and loved it. If ur like us, stay here. If you like quiet and plush, keep searching. Oh and the gay owners are lovely. Quite a homely feel. Free brekkie. Pay extra for a room overlooking the square.

1 Thank TravellingMrT