All reviews puerta del sol bin lorries great location unpleasant smell hotel is located clean bathroom would recommend this hotel to anyone the hotel staff royal palace gran metro tui pedestrian hairdryer neighborhood plugs square
Reviewed 18 June 2017

is centrally placed between SOL and Gran Via. Walking distances to a lot of famous sights. Cons- terribly noisy at night if room faces street specially in late march when AC is not run and you have to open balcony door. Expensive but basic breakfast.
Pros - Friendly staff but not always well informed. was made to plan a visit to Templo de debod that had been shutdown for 4 months.

Good value for money but get a room at the back or can't sleep at night.

Room Tip: At tieback away from the main street
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2017

The hotel is located on a road just off the Puerta del Sol, so is really convenient for travel and touristy stuff in the city. My single room was at the back of the hotel, so was pretty quiet (apart from the bin lorries in the middle of the night!!). The room was clean and comfortable, with a good bathroom with hairdryer. Air con was great and the fridge in the room was good to have. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Room price was fairly reasonable for central Madrid. If you want to be close to the centre, this is a great place to stay. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the hotel and will definitely use it again when I next travel to Madrid.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 May 2017 via mobile

We have just returned from a 3 days trip to Madrid. The hotel is located in the centre of the city and you can walk to all major sightseeing places. We had a large double room facing the interior court, so we were not disturbed by the hustle and bustle on the main street, Calle de la Monterra. There are plenty of places to eat nearby, including Ciudad de Tui restaurant, right next to the hotel; it has reasonable prices and is popular with locals. There was a slight unpleasant smell in the hotel, but, overall it was a good pick. I don't think we will stay here again, as there's plenty of other hotels in the area.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank adriana m
Reviewed 21 April 2017

We spent 3 nights at this hotel - on arrival met by a desk clerk who was most friendly and helpful - gave us good directions and some excellent suggestions around areas to find good eating. Hotel is a 2 minute walk from Plaza Del Sol where tours start and people gather to talk and shop - it is great in the evening. 20 minute walk to the Prado museum, about the same to the Royal Palace which is worth the walk. Room was a good size and we had a room away from the street, so it was quiet. Bathroom was larger than in most European hotels. Room also quite a bit larger than expected.

Room Tip: Had a room away from the street, so it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RGriffco
Reviewed 20 April 2017

As always, I only spend time to write reviews for hotels who really deserve the effort and for those who I need to warn the community about... and this is no exception.

I always look for boutique hotels in order to support SME's and believe the experience can be a lot more fulfilling than 5 star hotels.

This Hotel however was the worst I have come across for a long time.

What happened?

I travelled to Madrid to stay a night before our flight out the next day. I booked the rooms for this hotel after looking into this hotel's website.

On our arrival, I requested to see the rooms before making payment. The receptionist said that if there was a problem with the rooms she would refund the cost.

First thing that struck me was that the rooms looked nothing like what was presented in the pictures. It was horrid. The sheets were dirty and the door opening out to the one man balcony did not have a locking mechanism.

Those who know me from my reviews are aware of my attention to cleanliness. The toilet had the 'disinfected strip' on it to show that it had been cleaned but there were clear urine marks on the toilet seat and other disgusting things around the bowl.

Disgusted by what I had seen I went straight down to the reception desk knowing that I had been promised a refund should I not like the room.

The receptionist wanted to know why. After explaining to her what I had seen and expressing how I had felt deceived due to what they show on the internet, the answer I got was this...

"Nobody promised you the rooms would be the same as the pictures on our website"

Everything before this comment was normal for me. I try to show understanding wherever I go, plus, I had chosen this Hotel with good intentions in the first place... But this comment instantly pushed the limit.

I instantly reminded the receptionist of her refund promise, later to find out that she had no such authorisation in the first place.

Of course, only after I stated how big of a mistake she had made with her statement by informing her that all the rules and regulations of fair trade and digital marketing had been violated, did she consider trying to show me another room. I felt if I had not accepted to see another room, she was going to start crying. So I accepted to see the "free upgrade" which was at the highest floor, deprived of oxygen and foul smelling. It didn't take me long to go back to reception to refuse the offer.

I clearly stated that I would not be staying in that hotel and demanded a refund.

Again, I was promised the refund would be made after her boss arrived the next day due to an authorisation issue.

Upon this, I left this hotel.

HERE IS THE BEST PART...

A full month after the incident, no refund was made. In their reply email to my reminder of refund some person who did not even bother to sign or mention their name stated the following...

"You said that you refused to stay in our hotel for security reasons, which is not a statement valid for us because we comply with safety legislation that applies to hotels in Spain, Your colleague decided to stay in our hotel though and as far as we know, he didn`t have any problems with security. So, refund is not possible in this case."

"You also said you felt deceived because the rooms did not match what was shown on our website and the answer you got was that no one promised you that the rooms would be the same as the pictures on the website. Regarding this, we can tell you that the pictures shown on the website are real pictures and the answer that the receptionist gave you was that she was surprised because we had never received a complaint regarding this matter. Besides, she couldn't promise a refund because she said she needed her boss's approval and she never got it. It was never a thing of disrespect."

-------------

Imagine you had received this as a reply... Whoever this person is clearly doesn't give a s***t about customers.

They are using a colleague as reference to the security issue I personally had, which was in a separate room. No documents that prove they comply to "safety legislation" were sent to backup this statement either.

And the excuse for the receptionist's statements... about how she was shocked clearly is not an apology. Trust me on this, if what this person stated about 'never received a complaint' was true, they would not have defended the statement in the first place.

The statement again...

Who would defend this statement if what they say is true about the rooms being the same?

If it was a fact, the 'normal' reply to this would be, "I apologise for this unacceptable statement"

I hope this comment will prevent anyone in this community from going through what I have been through.

Ps. Please disregard any good reviews they show on the internet. We've found out that many are their own people...

Wishing you all a safe and stress free travel!

Room Tip: not available at this hotel
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business