“Good hotel and service”

Ranked #254 of 435 Hotels in Madrid
L-Iklin,Malta
“Good hotel and service”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Very central and within walking distance to most places, lot's of restaurants in the area. It's situated in a quite area just off plaza mayor. We found it to be quite cosy and comfy, The hotel rooms were clean and we had a street view. Very nice friendly staff. The breakfast was also very good.

Room Tip: We chose two single bed room smoking.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DanicaFalzon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 22 November 2013

The hotel is very centrally located, and we could walk to most attraction places - gran via, puerta del sol, San Miguel etc. it's close proximity to puerta del sol and plaza mayor makes it really convenient and shops close much later so there is no problem in getting a late dinner. There is a small Chinese provision shop along the street infront of the hotel (can check with the front desk), but we got our water and snacks from a supermarket near San Miguel. From sol, can take the metro to almost everywhere with ease.

This guy at the front desk who checked me in and out was really cheery and friendly. I got a corner Room on the 4th floor and it was spacious and clean with daily housekeeping service. They have a new laundry service available (chargeable by number of pieces), otherwise can just go to this laundry shop at calle no. 7 - one wash at €4, €1 if dryer is required. Each wash is about 30 mins.

I booked an airport transfer from hotel to airport via aerocity and read some reviews that some travellers were not picked up for their transfer and had to get a cab instead. Being afraid that the same thing will happen, I tried to ask the front desk (a lady) to help me to call aerocity and confirm but she told me it's not necessary or I can call myself in the room (I thought it will be easier for her since I don't speak Spanish). The same happened when I checked with the friendly guy, so I suppose they feel that there is nothing wrong with aerocity service. Lucky for me, the service came and picked me up just slightly after the stipulated timing.

Overall, good hotel in central location and very affordable. Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2013
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The hallways and elevator had a very offensive odor like mothballs or maybe a strong disinfectant. Some smell in the room but we could leave the windows open in the room and bath to help. WiFi did not work our second night there. The shower had a soap dispenser but it was empty. Good thing we brought our own soap and shampoo. Staff did not change the drinking glasses. Room and bath were small. Otherwise, the hotel had a convenient location, the breakfast was the usual European fare and you don't need to go away hungry. Contrary to other reviews, we got the free breakfast by showing the 2013 Rick Steve's guide, but we were VERY careful to get written email confirmation before we left. Note: they would NOT have honored the 2012 version. Front desk staff was helpful with restaurant recommendations. Not my wife's favorite hotel during our 2-week trip through Spain. Some street noise at night.

Room Tip: One flight of stairs to climb before access to the elevator.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Ancorage, AK
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We were overcharged by 30 Euros for 4 breakfasts that were advertized to be "free" (breakfast was only OK and definitely not worth 7.50 each; would not have had breakfast but for the "free" representation. Breakfast was advertized as Free with current edition of Rick Steves Spain guid book. We bought the new edition (already had a 2012 edition) just for the breakfasts on our planned 4 day stay there. We presented the book at check-in as specified in the e-mail, but when we checked out were told that no one noted our request at check-in so it would not be honored. It was clearly the error of the clerk at check-in, however, they would not budge on the issue. We cancelled the 2 days we had booked for our return to Madrid and found a much better (and honest) deal elsewhere.
Besides the rip-off we were bothered by noise. It seemed as if the neighbors were actually in bed with us. No sound deadening between rooms! Worst experience of our month in Spain.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kl2be
Sydney
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Simple hotel with everything you need to explore Madrid. The hotel is located just metres from one of the entrances to Plaza Mayor. I have a singe room and you can see it from the small balcony overlooking a small square. Very close to Puerta del Sol metro station which is where three metro lines meet so very convenient to catch metro to Royal Palace, Prado, Bullfighting ring, Gran Via, Atocha train stations etc. Can also catch suburban train to Chamartin station at Sol as well. For the price you paid you simply can't do better with such a location.

Stayed here on two separate stays and hotel was very helpful with keeping my luggage for a day while I visited Toledo for one night. Reception lady was very helpful with directions. I kept getting lost looking for supermarket but she was incredibly patient. Free wifi was a plus. Room very clean, although small but very comfortable after long day of sightseeing.

Couldn't be happier with my stay!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Broadbeach, Australia
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Plaza Mayor for a week in September and loved it. Great location, just outside the Plaza Mayor, walking distance from everything. Wonderful Cafe's and shops. Close to the Metro and very easy to use. Staff were excellent and very helpful. Mercado San Miguel was the best place to go for Tapa's and drinks. Just outside the Plaza.
Rooms were comfortable and view from our room (corner room) was very entertaining.

Room Tip: Try and get a corner room for the view. Can be a little noisy but did not stop us sleeping. It is...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Arlene W
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I lucked out with this booking as I had no idea what to expect and the location was perfect! GREAT value for the price and an ideal spot to start my trip in Madrid. I was central to all the major sites and could walk or easily cab anywhere I needed to go. The staff was kind and went above and beyond. My room and show were small but it was perfect for my needs!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo