“Unbeatable value for money and location!”
Review of Hostal Las Fuentes

Hostal Las Fuentes
Ranked #88 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Milan, Italy
“Unbeatable value for money and location!”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Just to clarify for those who may not know it, the hostal in Spain is not a youth hostel but a low budget, no frills, small hotel (usually in apartments buildings) that offer rooms with either private or shared bathroom facilities. I have lived in Madrid for over a year and have often looked for accommodation for visiting friend and family so I am pretty familiar with the "hostal scene" of the town. Among all the places I have seen, this is definitely a real find!
Location is perfect, right off Calle Arenal: 5 minutes walk from the Opera House and the Royal Palace on one side, and 5 minutes walk from Puerta del Sol on the other side (and 2 metro stops at the same distance!).

Beside the quite shabby entrance to the building (which is a constant of Madrid's hostels which seem to never have well groomed entrances!) the hostel was a surprise. After a very quick check in, I was assigned a small (I was alone so it was a single room) but incredibly neat and clean room with a nice window on the street below. The bathroom was once again small but super clean and functional. The rooms was basic but perfectly comfortable and well cared for. They serve no breakfast (as in all the hostals) but right below, on Calle Arenal, there are about 1000 bars and coffee places, including Starbucks.

I paid 45 euros per night for a room with private bathroom and I'm sure I'll stay here when I go back next time. I could never find something so cheap and comfy in such a central location!

Since it's only a few steps away. if your are coming back from a crazy disco night (Joy is just a few stesp away) stop at the Chocolateria San Gines (Pasadizo San Ginés, 5) and have the best churros con chocolate in town :-)

Room Tip: Please remember that this an hostal, which means a low budget hotel so don't expect feather beds...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank roadtripping1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Good option for budget travellers. I stayed 2 nights and apart from the fact that the "receptionist" did not speak English very well everything was ok.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Parma, Italy
Reviewed 18 February 2012

A very good accommodation in the centre of the city that I will recommend without hesitation. There are just some minor drawbacks , that`s why I gave just 4 stars. Some of the previous reviewers made a confusion between Las Fuentes and another Hostel, located at the third floor, in the same building. Las Fuentes is at the first. In order to get here, look on google maps, it is very simple and close to Opera subway station. The rooms are quite ok, maybe the single looks a little bit small, because it has a large queen bed. But the bathroom is larger than I expected. You`ll get everything, from every day cleaning and minibar, to AC, WiFi (perfectly functional when I was there), fresh towels daily, etc. There is also a computer in the hall. Well, try to ring long when you arrive, because sometimes the person from the reception is somewhere in the hostel. The only problems I encountered were: the temperature(either breathtakingly hot, or chilly…and I was there in February..) and the inner noise. About the noise, it is the first time for me when I experience noise done by the staff, speaking loud in Spanish most of the day, sometimes screaming orders and shouting, and always wearing high and very noisy heels. No chance to sleep after 8 AM. Obviously, no nap allowed in the afternoon. A, and no one speaks English, but this is smth we are used to in Spain. Overall, the experience was more than ok and if ever in Madrid, I`ll come back here without a doubt.

Room Tip: Room 12 is an excellent single room
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Very pleasantly surprised. Good location. Found it difficult to find, because of over grown trees hiding hotel sign! The reception is also on the 1st floor, which was a bit confusing. Staff are pleasant, but speak minimal English (I suppose that is expected in a none English speaking country!) WiFi works great as I'm writing this review from my bedroom, which is quite far away form the reception. Room is small, but it is the single room. It is well decorated, clean and comfortable. Not much cupboard space (saves me packing my suitcase again when I leave!) For the price and the location, I could not have asked for more. A 2.5 star hotel? Again I have wonder about the UK rating system, because this would be a 3 or 4 star hotel in some places in the UK!

• Stayed February 2012
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 January 2012

We (2 females) stayed at this place in October 2011 and it was the best decision that we made. We arrived couple of hours before check-in time and had to wait an hour to get our room which was fine. The hotel staff spoke minimal English which was not a big issue because they were very pleasant. The hotel has very small elevator, so when you arrive with your luggage, you can put your luggage in the elevator and send it to 2nd floor which is where the reception area is while you can walk up the stairs. Room was very clean and decorated nicely. Only thing lacking is not sufficient hot water.
Location is unbeatable, very very close to everything. We felt safe there.
You can't go wrong by choosing this place during your stay in madrid.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is not facing street b/c you will hear some noise even in the middle of the night...
Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank AllureSport
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 January 2012

My first stay in a hostel. My room was smaller than others described in these reviews, but adequate as I wasn't planning on spending a lot of time there. No fridge, but safe that you pay 1 Euro each time you use it. The woman at the front desk didn't speak english but we were able to communicate by my very minimal spanish and her gestures.

It overlooked the courtyard so there was no noise coming from the streets, despite that there is a dance club around the corner. However, there is no sound proofing within the hostel. It was as if my door was open. I was the room farthest away from the front desk, but heard every conversation there. The rooms next to me as well as mine do not close quietly due to the door frame being slightly smaller than the door, so it can only slam close. Small stand-up shower. My room was clean.

I've seen other hostels in the area but don't know how they compare. Great central location, can walk almost anywhere and is steps to the metro if needed to go farther.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 October 2011

Hostal Las Fuentes is all that you need to have a good experience: Location, clean and nice/helpful people! I absolutely recommend it!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo