“Great find in the center of Madrid”
Review of Hostal Alhambra

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Madrid
Hostal Alhambra
Ranked #280 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Falmouth, Massachusetts
“Great find in the center of Madrid”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I found this hostal on Tripadvisor and booked it for 2 nights in June. It was just a stated, a real find. It was a little hard to find at first because the taxi couldn't go down the street due to the new king being in town. Also it is on the second floor so look up! Once I settled in, I was very happy with the accommodations. The location is perfect. I walk everywhere. It was very reasonable, very clean and the staff pleasant. I would recommend this hostal for anyone wanting a reasonable, well located place to stay in the center of Madrid!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Kihei, Hawaii
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We spent 4 nights in this hotel and loved the location. It is just a half-block off of Puerta del Sol, and within walking distance of all the major sights in the central area. The room was large, clean, and the bed was comfortable. The breakfast, which is at a cafe around the corner, was basic but adequate. The water temperature in the shower was impossible to control; it jumped from very hot to very cold. I heard someone else complaining about this, so I know it wasn't just a problem with our room. The reception staff seemed distracted and impatient whenever they had to deal with a guest; not at all friendly or helpful. Some of the reception staff didn't speak English. The hotel is on the second floor of a building, and there is only a small sign next to the door. But we had no problem locating it (our taxi driver took us right to the door). We booked directly with the hotel and got a good rate, especially since it included breakfast. So, location, comfortable room and breakfast are the positive points for this hotel. Surly staff and water temperature problem are the negatives. But given the reasonable rate and the great location, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Glossop
Reviewed 13 December 2012

We booked into this hostal via a groupon deal and when we arrived the room we were given was in between the laundry room and a storage room and had obviously been a storage room they had converted. It was awfull with no natural light, tiny and claustophobic. The shower was fine but the bed was so close to the door you had a struggle to get in. On the plus side we only spent one night there and it was very central right next to the Plaza de Sol. The pictures on the groupon deal showed lovely large rooms and when we left in the morning we passed these rooms being cleaned so my advice to you is if booking insist on one of these rooms, they have frnch windows and small balcony to look out of.
Would never book there again.

Room Tip: Spend a little more and book into a hotel not a Hostal
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2012

My wife and I stayed here on a week long trip through Spain in November 2012. We bought a Groupon voucher for a 2 night stay in this hotel. We followed the instructions on the Groupon to book the room well in advance. When we showed up, the guy running the front desk couldn't find our reservation and would not honor our Groupon voucher. He was beyond rude. He was completely disrespectful and accused me of being a liar. We ended up staying here for the full price of 95 Euros per night because we didn't want to go searching for a new hotel at 10 pm on a Friday night. I have never been treated so badly in all of my life by a person who is in the business of customer service. Luckily, Groupon refunded the voucher, but this hotel would not budge on their price and continued to treat us like thieves the whole weekend.

Other than the horrible staff, the hotel was alright. Decent location, but lots of street noise and hard beds. I would not wish this hotel on my worst enemy and I hope the man that works at the front desk gets hit by a bus.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2012

stayed for 5 days in hotel with wife, found the inside of hotel much better than first impressions from outside. reception staff friendly and helpful. room was quiet and clean , even though main square only 2 minutes away. lots of bars /cafes on street and metro station just 100m away round corner, made it very easy to connect to rest of madrid. value for money if looking for clean basic accommodation.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ian p
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2012

On first glance up the street (Espoz y Mina) it looks a little shabby. However, once in the entrance things change. The 24 hour reception were very helpful. Our particular room was great! Air conditioned, WI-FI, mini fridge, 2 queen sized beds pushed together, sofa, plenty of room, a little balcony to people watch... BRILLIANT!

Some people have reviewed that it is noisy as it is right in the centre. I can honestly say I wasn't bothered by any noise at all... Even from the bars opposite!

The location is great, just a minute walk to Puerta del Sol, the main shopping area, and also very near some great little bars and cafés down the neighbouring narrow streets.

Bus tours and public transport are available right at the end of the road.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carldsmith
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We arrived at this Hotel unsure on much about it. When we arrived it was so amazingly central in Madrid, we could access everything. The Main Metro line 'Sol' was a mere 150 yard walk around the corner. The rooms were clean and the Air Con was great. A very modern hotel that I would recommend to anyone. Staff were friendly and efficient.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple