“Great stay in a great hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Urban

Hotel Urban
Ranked #18 of 444 Hotels in Madrid
Edinburgh
“Great stay in a great hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

This was my second stay in the Urban, the last time was 4 years ago. This time we were there for 5 nights so booked a duplex suite to get a bit more space.

On arrival the hotel staff were very friendly and welcoming. We chatted about the hotel and Madrid. We were also given vouchers for some champagne in the hotel. Check in was very quick and simple.

First impression of the room was that it was very dark. The downstairs bedroom was ok, but the window overlooked the building next door and the darkness made it feel small. Also downstairs was the bathroom and a walk in cupboard. The bathroom was a good size and was very clean. The cupboard was very big and there was plenty room to keep all our luggage.

The upstairs living room was a good size and was a comfortable, bright space to sit.

There were televisions in the upstairs and downstairs rooms but there were only a couple of English language channels and the picture quality was really bad. We didn't spend a lot of time in the room, but when we were there we didn't really have the option of watching tv. Some of the booking websites state that the rooms have DVD and CD players, but our room didn't.

The room is looking a bit worn in places, but overall it was a good room.

There is a charge for wifi in this hotel which is surprising as most hotels offer it free. There are 2 computers beside reception for guests to use, but one of them seemed to be in constant use when we were there and the other didn't work very well, there were keyboard problems that the reception staff couldn't really help with.

We didn't eat at the hotel. We went to the rooftop bar for our free champagne on the day we arrived, it was still open due to the extended good weather. It was a lovely place to sit and have a quiet drink, I would recommend that for the bar. We didn't use the pool.

The glass bar on the ground floor was very busy on our first night. We decided to go there on our second night after we'd been out. It was quiet, there were only a few other people in the bar when we got there and one person when we left, it lacked atmosphere.

The hotel location is excellent, you can easily walk around the city from here.

I enjoyed my stay here and I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Urban, responded to this review, 21 October 2011
Dear Madam.

Felix García Hernán

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

The staff was very friendly, helpful and accommdating. You are walking distance away from major attractions in the city (i.e. Plaza Mayor, Del Sol, The Palace, several museums and the Parc Retiro) to name a few. We had a Superior Room, which was small (like most European hotels) but nice. The room we had looks exactly like the picture posted on their website. Very clean. It would receive a higher rating, but the bed was not comfortable (very hard, could feel the springs and the pillow very soft). They only provide 1 hour of free WiFi so be aware of that.

2 Thank Cjcks1
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Urban, responded to this review, 13 October 2011
Dear Sirs.

Rotorua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

This Hotel is fantastic. It is our second stay. The reception staff are very helpful. Rooms are great, the location is good everything is walking distance. If you like Jazz visit a place near by called Cafe Central.we had a great night there.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

I was staying on business in Madrid at the Gran Melia Fenix and tacked a few extra days onto my trip for personal time. There was no room at the Fenix for my extra days so I decided on the Urban Hotel. It's a tough comparison as the Fenix is very, very nice.

One of the attractions of this hotel for me was the rooftop bar and pool. I had planned to spend a bit of time relaxing by the pool when I wasn't sight-seeing. As it turns out, the pool doesn't get that much sun and it's really quite small. It's probably best to think of it as more of a cosmetic feature for the bar at night. The rooftop is an excellent place to end an evening in Madrid in the summer.

My room was as hip and modern in design as the rest of the hotel. In some cases form takes priority over function which irks me a bit but maybe I'm just getting old. For example they use designer phones which don't have any of the extensions marked on them so you have to hunt for the little book to tell you what button to push for room service. That being said, if you are the type to go to New York and stay at a W rather than the Waldorf, this place is likely for you.

The location is ideal, with the Prado just 5 minutes walk in one direction and a beautiful plaza about 10 minutes in the other direction.

One complaint I had was the construction going on in the building directly next door and immediately outside my window. Between jet lag and late nights I was sleeping in a fair bit and the noise was significant. If you plan to stay here in or around October 2011 I would request a room on the other side of the building.

Overall a great experience..

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Urban, responded to this review, 3 October 2011
Dear Sir.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

As soon as I arrived, I was made to feel special as you expect in a 5*, but the hotel is expensive. The welcome comp champagne in the glass bar was nice. The rooms were stylishly furnished, but due to the hotel location there is no view at all. Swimming pool was smaller than expected and no one was really there apart from occasional sunbathers. The breakfast was ok, same as what you would have in 4*, I had to order a toast as oppose to going to a toaster and having it at my own convenience, it came 10min late. Overall expensibe, but the staff are really lovely and helpful.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank as1707
Dear Sirs,

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

Stayed for 2 nights and cannot recommend highly enough. Impeccable front of house service from the moment we arrived, and throughout our long weekend. Reception staff have superb knowledge of local eateries, bars, shopping areas etc. This is 5 star boutique chic and no mistake. Glass lifts to all floors overlooking the atrium. Champagne on arrival? Thanks very much, we'll take our drinks on the rooftop in incredibly hip surroundings. Follow it up with a mojito you say? Just keep pouring! Try and get a duplex room if you can, they are worth the extra space. The Glass Bar epitomises the clientele of the hotel, so mix it up with the beautiful people if you want. Plenty of Spanish restaurants and bars and Plazas in walking distance so take full advantage. Would certainly go back again. Superb.

Room Tip: Get a Duplex Room or Suite if you can - only 1 floor up to the rooftop pool and bar!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Sir.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

The hotel is well-located ... just a step away from the heart of all the museums and city sights, but not right in the middle of the tourist traffic.

Great designer hotel. The property is beautiful. The rooms, however, are very small but well equipped and comfortable.

The service wasn't great. No smiles -- just officious receptionist doing their job. Sometimes they try to make you feel that the hotel is a little too cool for you. The only welcome you get is the doorman greeting you with a nod as you walk in through the doors.

The pool and roof top terrace is nice, to sit around and sip a cocktail. Not really big enough for a swim -- it's more like a giant bath tub than a pool. Great views though from above.

All in all -- great property in a great location, spoilt by uninviting staff.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank craig_ng
On behalf of all of us at the Hotel Urban, thank you for taking the time to complete the recent Trip Advisor Review. I wanted to follow up with you personally, as you are a most valued client and we appreciated receiving your feedback.

First of all,. I have shared your comments with the entire team at the Hotel Urban. We have immediately implemented procedures to ensure to improve all the points you mentioned. We are actively pursuing corrective measures so that you will have a better experience, should you give us the chance to earn your future business. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we can improve. It is important to us that we use the feedback given to us by our guests as a tool to improve so that we continue to exceed your expectations.

I would also appreciate an opportunity to discuss your stay in additional detail. Please call me directly at your earliest convenience and I look forward to speaking to you so this matter can be settled to your satisfaction. I can also be reached via email as well if that is more convenient.

At Hotel Urban hospitality we pride ourselves in providing unique hospitality experiences and superior service. Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you.

At your Service,