“Wonderful hotel”

Ranked #17 of 435 Hotels in Madrid
Ashford, United Kingdom
“Wonderful hotel”
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Normally I like to weigh up reviews giving good and bad comments but, to be honest, you'd be hard pushed to say bad things about this place.

The room I stayed in was one of their Superior rooms, which is their basic offering. As I was on business, travelling alone, I didn't really feel the need for any of the suites they offered (even though they were very reasonably priced as well.)

The room was very clean, luxurious, and had a very modern feel, mixing natural materials like leather with glass and metal finishing.... very nice. Big TV which allowed language changes on some programmes so I could watch the odd film or TV programme in English, which was nice. The cable for the internet didn't work but I used the wifi for a small charge (€30 for 3 days) and that was accessible anywhere in the building. Bathroom was clean and the shower was really good having an option of a standard fixed head but also a kind of wand that you could use as well. Plenty of marbel and glass in the bathroom as well.

I only went to the restaurant for breakfast but that was great. A choice of the buffet and a hot selection from the kitchen (egg's, bacon, sausage, etc.) Most of the time, as I was on my own, I used room service to have dinner in my room. The food was spectacular and of a very high quality. A little pricey but then this is a 5 star hotel and €33 for a steak isn't that bad compared to some restaurants I've been to in Europe.

I tried both bars. The one on the ground floor was great with the air-conditioning keeping you at a comfortable temporature and the terrace bar, on the 6th floor, was equally nice with a cool breeze allowing you to relax outside on top of the hotel.

Staff were attentive and very helpful throughout my stay. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Urban, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting such a good comment about the service and in general about the hotel.

All the staff is happy to read we are doing a good job and we have made you feel comfortable in your stay at hotel .

We hope to see you again.

Best regards,

Felix Garcia Hernan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed 18 August 2012

My husband and I have just checked out of Urban hotel (literally I am writing this review at one of their free apple computers). We have been to Madrid several times this past few years and normally stay on Grand Via at the Best Western, however because August is the hottest time to visit Madrid, I wanted a hotel that had a pool. We have spent 2 wonderful weeks here at the Urban Hotel. The location is great, you are about 3 blocks from Sol Metro and the "metal market". We had a "superior room" which was a nice size. We utlized the space under the bed to store our luggage. We only had breakfast here 1 morning, which was rather pricey at 23.00 euro p.p. If you walk down the street, there is a nice deli tapas place where you can get a nice breakast sandwich for 2.00-3.00 euro. The website advertises soundproof rooms, maybe some of the rooms are but ours "room 244" was not. But the noise was distracting and we were able to sleep quite late each morning. The blackout curtains are wonderful. The pool is quite small, and one trick I learned very early was to take the towels and books up and grab the 1st two lounges before the pool opens which is at 12:00. But you can reserve your lounges with your towels and sunscreen. The sun normally comes over the pool area about 12:30 and you have the perfect layout spot. The specialty drinks at the rooftop restaurant is quite expensive, almost all cocktails are about 15.00 euro. We enjoyed having cocktails each night at the glass bar which is located downstairs. The bartenders are very friendly. Oh did I mention you get complimentary champagne upon arrival. We did not book a shuttle with the hotel to the airport, its very expensive, you can get a better deal online. I know we will be back to Madrid soon and will stay at the Urban Hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Calgary, AB
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Stayed for a week at the Urban Hotel Madrid. Rooms are not large, but there is a lot of storage for luggage/clothes and a desk for a laptop. Bathroom is large by european standards! One minor problem once I had checked in, the sheets had some sort of a small stain on them. A bit of trouble communicating with the housekeeping staff that I wanted new sheets, but we figured it out, and from then on I found the hotel very clean.

Internet is very expensive (12 euro per 24 hours) and only works on one device. I believe it is free if you only want 90 minutes.

The rooms were quite dark, which actually ended up being a good thing as it meant I slept excellently.

Rooftop pool is small and very busy, but the bar on the rooftop deck is excellent. Lots of seating, reasonably priced. Very nice to relax with a great glass of wine!

Breakfast was delicious, lots of fresh fruit, yogurt, pastries available and eggs prepared on request. I had the poached eggs every day, they were some of the best I've ever had! However, the breakfast was something like 23 euro, and if it hadn't been prepaid with my room, I would probably not have paid for it, excellent eggs or not.

However, the hotel was absolutely a wonderful place to stay, as it was in a fantastic location. Less than a 5 minute walk to Puerta del Sol, the Sevilla metro station or the Plaza de Santa Ana, where we found many excellent restaurants. About a 15 minute walk in either direction to the Retiro Park or the Royal Palace.

If you don't stay here, stay nearby, the area is fantastic!

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank maple27

London
Reviewed 16 August 2012

This hotel must have been fantastic when it opened, but is now showing its age a bit - the room was pleasant, but very small for the price and quite dark, and furniture starting to look a bit tatty. Wifi was expensive and I agree this should be included free for a hotel like this.
Breakfas was fine, and the staff are very helpful - the location is also great.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest:

In the first instance, I want to thank you for expressing us your observations about the services of our Hotel during your stay.

The opinion of our clients is extremely important to us, as it makes us to improve our services continually. I can assure you that we will endeavour to improve matters as quickly as we can.

In any case, since its opening, the hotel is in a constant process of renewal and maintenance for the big use (wear) generated by the high occupancy

I would like to inform you that the hotel has cable connection free in all rooms.

We have also a hospitality desk available free of charge for our customers during 24 hours.

Also you have wifi connection free during 90 minutes per day.

I sincerely hope that your next stay at the our hotel will be extremely pleasant, I will personally take care to ensure it.

I remain at your entire disposal.

Félix García
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2012

This is a cracking hotel,great beds nice sofa to relax when you have done a days work or sight seeing staff really helpful and can not do enough for you.the pool area is a nice place to catch a few rays or just relax,if you want to get round the pool get there early otherwise there are a lot of seating round about the balcony,my only complaint is if your hungry the restaurant is very slow in getting the food out waited nearly an hour for risotto which put me off using the restaurant again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

We hope to see you again.

Best regards,

Felix Garcia Hernan
Bournemouth, England
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Firstly location is great, design is modern and chic, staff are generally very attentive. The niggles are as follows:

1/ The rooftop pool, such as it is, should be a real draw for the hotel particularly in 105 degree heat as it was last week; however, on four visits to the pool in the three days I was never able to get a seat. So this actually becomes an increasing irritation rather than a benefit to me as a guest. Also the pool boy was away with the fairies most of the time and never cleared used towels from loungers when guests left so you were unsure as to whether there was a space or not.

2/ The duplex room was nicely designed but the wooden floor creaked really noisily so woke up my partner if I got up during the night, as did the metal door to the bathroom which didn't fit the frame properly so you had to lift it up to close it.

3/ No free wi-fi. When will hotels of any star rating realise this is not acceptable any more?

Having said all that, I still give it 4 stars and would go back. The Glass Bar was fun and the staff in there are great. The reception team are friendly, efficient and helpful with reservations etc. The bed and pillows are good. There are taxis available outside at all times. It is easily walkable to Sol, Plaza Mayor and Chueca.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
On behalf of all of us at the Hotel Urban, thank you for taking the time to complete the recent Trip Advisor Review. I wanted to follow up with you personally, as you are a most valued client and we appreciated receiving your feedback.

First of all,. I have shared your comments with the entire team at the Hotel Urban. We have immediately implemented procedures to ensure to improve all the points you mentioned. We are actively pursuing corrective measures so that you will have a better experience, should you give us the chance to earn your future business. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we can improve. It is important to us that we use the feedback given to us by our guests as a tool to improve so that we continue to exceed your expectations.

I would also appreciate an opportunity to discuss your stay in additional detail. Please call me directly at your earliest convenience and I look forward to speaking to you so this matter can be settled to your satisfaction. I can also be reached via email as well if that is more convenient.

At Hotel Urban hospitality we pride ourselves in providing unique hospitality experiences and superior service. Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you.

At your Service,

Felix garcia
Reviewed 10 August 2012 via mobile

This is an absolutely lovely modern looking hotel in an amazing location. The service we received here was also excellent. There are however a few things that could have been better for this 5 star hotel. First the room was very small, and we had paid extra for a deluxe room. Second, the hardwood floors in the room crack like you wouln't believe. This meant that you couldn't get out of bed without waking everyone else. All and all this is still a great hotel and great value for Madrid.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Slymont
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Urban, responded to this review, 14 August 2012