“Lovely hotel with excellent location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Urban

Hotel Urban
Ranked #18 of 445 Hotels in Madrid
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel with excellent location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2012

I would definitely recommend this hotel. An excellent location that makes it very easy to get around in the city. The staff always greets you with a smile, are very friendly and helpful.

The hotel has a very nice decoration, and the rooms are standard sized for modern hotels, ie on the slightly smaller side, but nicely decorated.

The wifi is really the only let down - 90 mins for free and on the slow side.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
DireccionDerbyHotels, subdirector at Hotel Urban, responded to this review, 26 November 2012

Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Valletta, Malta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

The hotel is nicely designed with an Asian touch (Asian/Egyptian art and many incense sticks) and with a great location for sightseeing in Madrid with many attractions and restaurants close by. The room I stayed in (a superior room) was nicely decorated but quite small and slightly worn. The service was good and the hotel has a very nice rooftop terrace. I stayed on the hotel on a business trip to Madrid and for business the hotel, in my personal opinion, is not really up to standard, only 90min free internet and you need to get a new voucher every day, no irons in room or available through rooms service (and no overnight ironing service which puts you in a difficult position if you as I did arrived late in the day), gym consisting of a cross trainer and a training cycle, poor concierge service (I agree these things are minor but when traveling on business you spend so little time in the hotel, and at least I, just want the small thing to work). I would return for a weekend in Madrid but will probably go somewhere else next time I go there on business.

Room Tip: If you think street sounds are annoying I would chose a rooms on a higher floor.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

Stayed here for about 10 days while in town for work. The front desk was extremely helpful and friendly. The rooms were very nice as well. I had a duplex with a nice loft. The gym is a bit small but it has what I needed. The only negative comment I have is that the hallways smell of incense and it is a bit too strong of a smell for my liking. Everything else was amazing. The food, the location, the service. Even the doorman at the entrance was super helpful and gave us great suggestions. The location, again, was the best. So close to everything for a first time visitor.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
DireccionDerbyHotels, Subdirector at Hotel Urban, responded to this review, 20 November 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting such a good comment about the service and in general about the hotel.

The staff is always happy to read we are doing a good job and we have made you feel comfortable in your stay at hotel .

We hope to see you again.

Best regards,

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

I enjoyed walking around the art galleries and sights and using this as a comfortable base. We had a split level room which gave a feeling of space and luxury with an upstairs living room. Everyone was friendly and helpful and ate room service breakfast and dinner was fantastic.
We are fans of the modern contemporary design le so it fitted our tastes very well.
Uber cool and luxerous and no problems sleepng with sensible blackout blinds and comfortable level of heat of room in which to sleep. The bathroom was a tad small but on the whole very good.It was a great base and would tell my friends about it.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
DireccionDerbyHotels, subdirector at Hotel Urban, responded to this review, 20 November 2012

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2012

The Urban Hotel in Madrid is undoubtedly a stylish hotel, well-located in the centre of Madrid. The hotel is relatively modern, built around a 6-storey atrium. Lots of dark timber and fascinating ornaments give the hotel a chic and stylish feel. The hotel bar is also a great place to hang out, and seems to attract a cool crowd. Breakfast was good, with made-to-order hot dishes to supplement the typical European buffer of fruits and cheeses. All sounds good so far? Unfortunately, you choose a hotel for the rooms, which in this case are small, and an example of style given priority over comfort. There was limited desk space, and a rather uncomfy bench rather than a chair to sit on. The cupboard had a nifty bi-fold door, which was a clever design but while open made one side of the bed inaccessible. The dark timber fittings are also beginning to show their age, meaning the room did not have a particularly warm or welcoming feel to it. Would I stay here again? Probably for a short stay, it would be OK. But I think for more than a few nights I'd look for something else.

Dear Guest.

First of all, I would like to thank you for expressing your opinions about the services of our hotel during your stay.

I would like to inform you that your case was an exceptional situation. Your opinion is extremely important to us, as it makes us improve our services continually. We have therefore taken the necessary measures.

The hotel is in constant renewal so we hope that you find everything pleasant in your next stay. I thank you once more for your collaboration. I stay at your disposal.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2012

Stayed here in November. Here is what I think:

Positive:
- Friendly personell;
- Clean rooms;
- Super location;
- Beds firm and in good condition.

Negative:
- Small rooms;
- View non-existant (my room was facing the emergency staircase);
- Smells of incense sticks;
- Breakfast selection disappointing (no regional specialties, no warm stuff - you need to know what to ask for);
- WiFi 90 minutes free per day; free internet connection with cable; otherwise quite pricey.

My recommendations:
- If you bring your computer, ask for a cable at the reception;
- Have breakfast outside of the hotel in any of the nice little coffee shops/bars;
- Taxi from the Airport is around 25 EUR.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view.