“Mixed feelings”
Review of Hotel Urban

Hotel Urban
Ranked #24 of 443 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Me and my husband stayed here for 3 nights. The service is brilliant; the staffs are very very helpful. Its a fantastic location as its about 5-10 min walk away from the main town centre. The decor in and around the hotel is dark and dingy but modern and clean. I have rated it as average as it is very very dark in the rooms. The rooms are very small and the bathroom wasn’t spacious either. The room was not big enough to cater for 2 people. Breakfast was overpriced (we had to order from the menu as they didn’t cater for vegetarians in the buffet).

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nicky C
DireccionDerbyHotels, Subdirector at Hotel Urban, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2013

Assistant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,092)

Reviewed 5 February 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Urban for the second time this past weekend. We loved the location -- walkable to literally everything you might want to see. The best thing, though, is the customer service. For example, I asked the front desk staff to help me reserve a table at a restaurant in town. When they found out that the restaurant had no availability at all that entire weekend, they found an alternative owned by the same chef and got us a table there. Another example: the manager overheard me say something about my husband's birthday and later that evening, we received ice cream and cake and a bottle of champagne! The rooms are clean, comfy, modern and quiet. We'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michele R
DireccionDerbyHotels, Subdirector at Hotel Urban, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2013

Reviewed 29 January 2013

Suprising friendly, Suprising Upgrade, just perfect! We were in Madrid for one Night, therefore the location was also very important. Location is great as well. Breakfast is a little bit high priced but worth it. Even in the Evening there was a great Event in Bar located in the hotel. A very good recommondation for Madrid. Price for Rooms is ok, I've seen much higher Prices for less. Last but not least, there is a nice rooftop bar with pool - enjoy.

Room Tip: very friendly, Breakfast high priced but worth it.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Uazzz
DireccionDerbyHotels, Subdirector at Hotel Urban, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting such a good comment about the service and in general about the hotel.

All the staff is happy to read we are doing a good job and we have made you feel comfortable in your stay at hotel .

We hope to see you again.

Best regards,

Reviewed 23 January 2013 via mobile

Excellent location right next to Puerta del Sol, utterly trendy decor - intentionally and seriously kitschy, thus definitely not for all tastes, but I just loved it - and superb service at the front desk. The ground floor bar is really nice, though surprisingly small. The rooms could indeed be bigger (don't know about the suites as we did not get a glimpse of those). And the complaints from some other reviewer regarding the doors applied 100 % to our room as well; the bathroom door and the inner door of the room are constantly making noise when used as they are seemingly not in perfect shape. So a small renovation could be a good idea.

Also the room was not as sound proof as someone might hope for. Especially when located close to the elevator as we were, the sound of people talking in the hallway entered the room pretty loud and clear at times.

Another tiny glitch were the cigarette burns in the curtains in the room. There were only a few holes, but still, at 5 stars you would not expect to find something like that.

Everyone should also know that the room called 'gym' on the rooftop of this hotel is very tiny, with only two machines and a bench for lifting weights. This was not an issue during the Christmas time as it seemed that hardly anyone was using it but us. One thing to point out in relation to this during the coldest winter months is the steam room in conjunction with the gym. In theory the room warms up quickly, but the rocky benches remain ice cold. So it ain't that adviceable to try and use it in case the outdoor temperature is low.

Otherwise just loved the rooftop terrace, even if the bar there is closed for the winter months.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank GoreTrotter

Reviewed 21 January 2013

We were group of 20 people from office, visiting Madrid for our annual industry exhibition. The hotel was booked by our travel agent saying best place to be in city centre.

Indeed the hotel's best thing is its location, walkable distance to every citi centre attraction and night life.

But that's it.....the rooms were such that it made me feel claustrophic, poor lighting. The worst thing was Gym, I decided to hit the gym at 6 AM one day and to my surprise the staff says it opens only at 9 AM (whoa......what a suprprise)

Except the reception staff other staff was a bit high headed. May be just my perceptions.

Positives
- Location
- Nice Bathroom with shower and batch tub sections differentiated, large wash basin with artistic floor
- Nice Bar at the receptions area
- Decent Breakfast (routine and monotonous though, ate same things for 3 days of our stay)

Negatives
- Claustrophobic rooms
- Wired internet (we are in Europe, where is Wifi?)
- Gym (Opens only at 9 AM)

Not business traveller friendly at all and the rates are too high compared to services.

Room Tip: Chose front or side rooms, back side rooms make you feel you are in some closed n dark place in pris...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank BDPharma
DireccionDerbyHotels, Subdirector at Hotel Urban, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2013

On behalf of all of us at the Hotel Urban, thank you for taking the time to complete the recent Trip Advisor Review. I wanted to follow up with you personally, as you are a most valued client and we appreciated receiving your feedback.

First of all,. I have shared your comments with the entire team at the Hotel Urban. We have immediately implemented procedures to ensure to improve all the points you mentioned. We are actively pursuing corrective measures so that you will have a better experience, should you give us the chance to earn your future business. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we can improve. It is important to us that we use the feedback given to us by our guests as a tool to improve so that we continue to exceed your expectations.

I would also appreciate an opportunity to discuss your stay in additional detail. Please call me directly at your earliest convenience and I look forward to speaking to you so this matter can be settled to your satisfaction. I can also be reached via email as well if that is more convenient.

At Hotel Urban hospitality we pride ourselves in providing unique hospitality experiences and superior service. Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you.

At your Service,

Antonio Martin
Subdirector

Reviewed 19 January 2013

When we returned to Madrid we decided to try Urban instead of returning to ME Plaza Santa Ana. Unfortunately not a good decision as I found the bed to be uncomfortable and the pillows awful, whereas the Me was extremely comfortable.
In addition although you can can access wifi you have to log on every day, which is a pain. Spanish hotels especially 5 star hotels, really must provide unlimited wifi access.
We did eat at the restaurant for dinner, which was enjoyable food, but unnecessarily fussy and very expensive.
When we ordered room service unfortunately the person could not understand English well, and instead of a pineapple juice we got a plate of pineapple an we got 2 plates of chips we did not require
In fact we had breakfast out of the hotel which saved a fortune.
The TV had connections for Apple TV or the adapters that link an iPad to be able to watch downloaded stuff as the tV has limited English programmes

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

At your Service,

Antonio Martin
Subdirector

Reviewed 19 January 2013

The hotel is centrally located, the staff were extremely nice, the service was excellent but the decor is so outdated... very not stylish. depressing. Breakfast was good, it is nice to have a bar in the lobby, every morning a large bottled water was delivered to our room. The staff were very helpfull in recommending restaurants and a flamengo eve.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple