“a true 'boutique' hotel,”
Review of Hotel Urban

Hotel Urban
Ranked #24 of 437 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Having stayed in the more 'classical' hôtels in Madrid on my recent visits I decided to check out this 'new' and highly recommended hotel, to say the least, I was not disappointed, location perfect, staff excellent, my room was quiet small but it contained all you needed, only 2 small comments, there's nowhere to hang your coat except the wardrobe, and (unfortunally) and notwithstanding the efforts (double windows) it is remains pretty noisy, I will definitely return to the Urban in Madrid but will request a room on one of the top floors, ............

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank silverstone2014
DireccionDerbyHotels, Subdirector at Hotel Urban, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Guest,

We are so glad to hearing you had a fantastic stay and you would stay again Urban.

Thank you very much for your nice comments as it is always interesting for other travellers

We do hope to see you again next time you return to our city

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I was apprehensive when I checked in at the hotel as it appeared a bit dark and with no great outside view.

This slowly turned into great experience when I started enoying the interior and the artfacts that hotel is managed to get them. I had one in my room that appeared original and hence I wonder what was all other rooms????

Breakfast was good and I could manage though I am pure Indian Veg.

I was also luck to get a smoking room.

bed was good.

hotel has used all possible material including Marble on floor & walls!!! Leather every where possible, Steel & wood. Wow. Dont know who designed and how could they take care of so many details!!!!

Every door men was always ready to help and wonderful staff across the hotel.

I will visit this hotel for sure if I visit Madrid and it remains within business budget :)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JigarJShah
DireccionDerbyHotels, Subdirector at Hotel Urban, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time of sharing your experience at Urban. We are glad to hearing you have enjoyed your time with us.

We are sure all these positive comments about Urban hotel are really useful to other travellers

Looking forward to welcome you back soon

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Went for 2 nights with a girlfriend on amazing high speed train from Valencia. We did look at several rooms and they tried to sell us a suite but found our perfect twin bedded room within few minutes without paying more. It is well located - we did not know Madrid at all but the concierge - whoever was on duty 'specially Lydia or Javier - helped us maximise our time there. The bar was great - we had breakfast out. The rooms were cosy, modern and the turning down in the evening is always appreciated! I cannot wait to go back and stay at the Urban as have such a comfort zone there. The museums, trip to Toledo, tapas bars especially my favourite la Mucca - right round the corner from urban, red bus city tour to admire stunning architecture, flea market on Sunday....cherry on the cake ....getting to hear Antonio Serrano on his harmonica!!!!

Room Tip: Take a look at a few rooms before you settle in.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank lynnieinlondon
DireccionDerbyHotels, subdirector at Hotel Urban, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thanks you very much for the kind feedback. We are really glad to hear that you loved our location, your room and the service provided.

We hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

This hotel has everything to be a grand luxury hotel, expect for thicker walls. The service is great. The staff is constantly smiling, they are all very pleasant especially the doormen! They were very attentive to our needs!

The location is very good! We walked almost everywhere. The rooms are a good size and the bed is comfortable.

The only negative about this hotel is how noisy it is! I couldn't believe I had to wake up at 8am every morning because I could hear everything that was going on outside my room!

If you don't mind waking up early then I would definitely recommend this hotel because everything else was great!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ariel P

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your nice comments. We do really appreciate.

We are glad to know you enjoyed your stay at Urban hotel.

Looking forward to welcome you back soon,

Assistant Manager

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Urban Hotel is listed as a 5 star but it felt more like a 4 star hotel. We booked a junior suite. I did not like this room because it had rounded walls from one of the hotel pillars and the windows overlook into the hotel atrium, meaning there is little natural light. We considered upgrading to a loft suite but this turned out to be a 2 floor suite with the bedroom upstairs and the bathroom downstairs. Who wants to deal with that when you wake up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom?

Room
Junior suite had a living room with a TV connected to the bedroom also with a TV and a bathroom of glass walls. It felt small because of the rounded walls. I disliked the windows looking into the hotel immensely. The bed was 2 beds pushed together (really? at a five star hotel?) and horrible small flat pillows. We had specified we wanted one regular bed and were assured as such, but then when we got there were told they did not have any available. The internet is free but it is really really slow and you cannot use any of your mail applications. You need to pay for an upgrade of $15 a day to be able to do anything beyond very basic internet search. You also needed to enter a new code every 3 days. Soundproofing wasn't great. Could hear our neighbors. Also at one point our fuse blew and all our lights went out.

Bathroom
The best thing about the room was the bathroom. There is a separate stall in the bathroom for the toilet, a shower, and a separate hydromassage bath. The shower had nice water pressure but it was the typical European style stall with glad sliding doors that may leak if you don't close it properly. Nice shampoo conditioner sets and bath salts. Towel rack was in the toilet stall (weird). Curtains cover the glass for the bathroom but you can still see into the bathroom pretty easily.

Housekeeping
Decent housekeeping, but they kept putting back the multiple pillows that we did not want on the bed.

Location
Decent location walking distance to many sites. However I felt that this area was rather by Puerta del Sol. The pedestrian walk area had various clubs trolling for customers and handing out fliers. This area had mostly mediocre tapas bar and we had to take a taxi to other areas with better tapas bars. We ended up staying at NH Palacio de Tepa and enjoyed that area more since it was closer to Market San Miguel. I'd also recommend staying around the La Latina area for a more authentic feel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TravelInEase

Dear Guest,

First of all, let me thank you, on behalf of all the hotel staff, for you kind observations and comments in relation to your stay in Urban hotel.

I assure you that I will check personally every point that you mention, as our guests opinion is very important for us and it helps us to improve every day.

I am at your disposal, by phone or email, if you would like to clarify any other detail about your stay.

We hope to have a new oportunity to see you again at the Urban l hotel, where I would love to attend you personally.

Best regards,

Reviewed 3 February 2014

As a frequent business traveller, the importance of a good hotel can't be overstated.

Before you even step inside the hotel you are greeted by a doorman always willing to help, the reception staff flash a warm smile and some welcoming words before swiftly despatching you to your room.

Whilst I have stayed in many hotels, few feel as quirky but polished as the Urban. It has a great balance between the small touches associated with a boutique hotel and the facilities of a much larger venue. Normally by staying boutique you suffer in either room size, dining facilities or some other area of your visit which is not true at the Urban.

The rooms are well equipped, pretty spacious, comfortable beds and most importantly very clean. There are dining options including a very nice hotel restaurant which serves a nice continental breakfast with other options available on request.

There are two, very minor, areas for improvement which is the lack of English speaking TV channels (As a fan of trash TV when travelling) but I can live with out that, slightly more importantly is a relatively poor internet connection which can be vital depending on the amount of work you need to undertake in the evening.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank RichardG10

Looking forward to welcome you back soon

Reviewed 1 February 2014

I have stayed at this hotel in the past and it just gets better. Beautiful boutique hotel, excellent location in the centre of Madrid with exceptional service. The team at the Urban are always ready to help with a smile

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cytraveller
DireccionDerbyHotels, Subdirector at Hotel Urban, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thanks you very much for the kind feedback. We are really glad to hear that you loved our location and the service provided.

We hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.