“Great stay in a great location”
Review of Hotel Urban

Hotel Urban
Ranked #20 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
New York City, New York
“Great stay in a great location”
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Had a wonderful stay here with my family in August.

Positives:
Centrally located and within walking distance to all major attractions
Quiet rooms even though they face a main street
Connecting rooms which is a big plus for families
Lots of extras included -- free business center in lobby, champagne at the rooftop bar, wine in room and fresh coffee and tea delivered to your room in the morning
Great rooftop bar/pool area to cool off during the day, albeit small

Negatives:
Rooms are on the small side, even the suites
Faint smell of smoke in the room
Signature restaurant is closed in August
Tiny gym
Hard bed and uncomfortable pillows

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Urban, responded to this review, 29 September 2010
Dear Madan.

Felix García Hernán

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2010

We stayed at this hotel for three nights and I feel quite reluctant to write this review as I have no wish to discuss it with the manager. However I did feel other guests should know that if they book a duplex suite it will be on the 'road' side and they will not get any sleep from the constant wail of police cars all night and motorbikes roaring by. I have absolutely no idea why the police cars need to put their sirens on in the middle of the night when there is virtually no traffic apart from a desire to wake the living dead. The hotel manager should be writing a formal letter to the relevant authorities to have this matter dealt with. It is just not necessary to have this level of noise paid for by the overstretched, over taxed Spanish population to have these buffoons racing around playing cops and robbers. We asked about the levels of crime because of the persistent wailings and aparently Madrid has very low levels of crime in the city so maybe they are just practising every night with the dim hope they can do it for real one day.

The hotel is very stylish, and very suitable for city breaks and shopping trips. However I would really recommend you book and confirm a room away from the road otherwise you will need horse tranquilisers for a night's sleep.

The pool is very small with just a few cramped sunbeds and chairs - with lots of people posing around the pool naval gazing. It is without a doubt a highlight though, as nowhere else in Madrid has one and after a hot day a splash in the pool is very welcome. The staff were very good in the pool bar and very helpful too.

I thought the staff were actually quite warm and welcoming in general. We did feel that they were interested in our experience to some extent.

I did find the room service breakfast waitress let the service down (hence the drop of a star) as she would stalk into our suite in the morning without a smile or a greeting and would literally dump our tray on the table, and would walk out again. We are used to five star hotels and service and expected a linen table cloth to be laid out and the breakfast to be served properly and with good manners as a bare minimum. In better hotels this would include papers and a pleasant experience.

Having said this, I can not leave this note without referencing that the hotel room had style and was very spacious and clean. Clearly lots of thought has been given to the layout and the small details. The hotel is very seductive almost in its atmosphere and you will enjoy the thoughtful design. It is very city slick and if you feel like booking a young, upbeat hotel in an excellent location then dont let this review stop you. Book away from the road and you will have a great time!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Pyes
Wirral
Reviewed 20 August 2010

Hotel Urban is a stylish, comtemporary hotel in the heart of old Madrid. Design is everything here, from public areas to guest rooms nothing has been left to chance. The hotel gives a fantastic impression of space with glass sided elevators which ascend and descend in the open centre of the building. If this hotel hasn't won some deign award or other then I would be very surprised.
Check in was quick and efficient. Staff spoke English and were most welcoming. Maps/guides were provided without having to ask. The hotel is in a perfect location for visiting the tourist highlights of Madrid. we were able to walk to most places and only had to use the Metro to visit Real Madrids ground and the El Rastro street market.
For part of our stay one of the two elevators was out of action. When brought back into service the doors appeared a little creaky at times which could alarm some visitors.
Throughout the hotel are sculptures and artefacts which add to the sense of luxury. Rooms are very clean and well appointed. we had both a standrad double and a Junior Suite and I would certainly recommend the later for its larger size which is particularly noticeable in the bathroom which had a bath and separate shower. Housekeeping was first class and staff were very pleasant, friendly and attentive to detail. If you were looking for improvements an ipod dock would not be unreasonable in a hotel of this standard. We also missed tea and coffee making facilities whichare available in so many hotels.
The rooftop pool is small but this is not surprising considering its location. There are plenty of sunloungers both around the pool and on the adjoining terrace. The terrace bar is well stocked and the service is excellent however it is very expensive.
On balance an excellent hotel which we would certainly revisit the next time we are in Madrid.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Harryb23
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Urban, responded to this review, 25 August 2010

london
Reviewed 12 August 2010

We stayed at the Urban Hotel during the quiet month of August for four nights and found it a haven away from the heat and hustle of Madrid. We were greated warmly by the receptionist who made checking in as smooth as possible. As we arrived late we had tapas and drinks in their very chic and glassed bar in the lobby which served fresh mojitos and a good mix of tapas.
The rooms are very modern and sleek though slightly on the small side. We asked for rooms next door to each other which was organised. The lift ride up the room is a journey in itself- you can view the interior of the hotel which is again all glass, well lit and beautifully decorated. Each room has an Egyptian or Indian work of art which added to the design of the room.
The concierge were very helpful and booked a few japanese and local restaurants for us- they did struggle with their English at times but for the most part they were very helpful. We also asked for a late check out which was organised for one of the rooms and having travelled to all corners of the world this is usually a request that hotels tend to resist.
The hotel is very peaceful and the small pool on the rooftop is a slice of heaven. It does get very busy and there's normally not enough space for all the guests but there is an uppper terrace so you can still grab some sun. There's also a lovely bar on the rooftop which turns into one of the hotspots in Madrid at night. The emphasis here is on ambience and service rather than on food but it's still a wonderful place to dine.
I would recommend this hotel if you're after something contemporary without the feel of it being a generic chain hotel (the westin, intercontinental etc) and I cannnot wait to return to the hotel in October for another short break!
The only criticism I have is the second lift which remained broken for my entire stay and the hotel should really offer free Wi-Fi to all it's guests!! Other than that- wonderful and made our stay in Madrid the best so far.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Urban, responded to this review, 16 August 2010
Dear Madam.

Coralville, Iowa
Reviewed 12 August 2010

Nice looking hotel. We stayed in a duplex room which had a great layout. Very centrally located - easy walk to museums, Sol, Palazio Real, Retiro, metro stations. Small rooftop pool with bar and restaurant. Reasonable room rates. Looking good - yes? BUT - some problems.

1. The room was way too hot. AC was pathetic. Took 8 hours to get the room to 78 degrees.

2. The room had an energy control slot that required a room key card. So the AC would turn off and the room get hot when we went out. We left a card in it and the cleaning staff removed it every single day!!!! I'm all for green initiatives, but if you are a 5 star hotel you really should at least have robust AC that can cool a room down if you are going to use such a system. Or a fan. And honestly why bother when the WHOLE hotel uses 100-200 watt halogen bulbs throughout? Hello.....ever heard of fluorescent lights? The bedside lights were little heaters in their own right.

3. The restaurant downstairs was closed for August. I know that family owned places do this in Spain, but I expected (a lot) better from a 5 star hotel. The restaurant on the roof was open but was restricted to a tasting menu that cost 90 euros (and was vastly inferior to the 70 euro tasting menus from the michelin starred Comerç 24 and Cinc Sentis restaurants in Barcelona).

4. The front desk kindly arranged a taxi on our departure day, but somehow forgot my single biggest request (that it take a credit cards(). It is not fun to run around an unknown airport trying to find a ATM at 5 am while watching the checkin line get longer and longer.

I should give it 1 star but the location, duplex room and rate offsets some of these concerns.

Note to the hotel - please do NOT post a generic bland reply to this review. I would like specifics.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bill H
Dear Sir.

Thank you very much for your comments,
In order to give you a full repport, please be so kind to give us
your name,so we can open a investigation for this matter.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 August 2010

We spent 3 nights in this hotel.
The building is very modern and so the rooms, bars and restaurants.
The staff is friendly and the location couldn't be better.
The only bad thing we found was the small garbage can in the bathroom, which could't fit any size of trash or whatever.
Also, if they wanted to add anything to improve their rooms, that would be a music player.
We reccomend this hotel!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Madam.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 6 August 2010

I don't want to write a bad review on Urban hotel because it wasn't a bad hotel, but in my opinion it wasn't a 5 start hotel.

The staff was nice, the hotel was nice. The pool is super small, but it's location was really cool. We did not eat at the hotel so I can not review the food. At night the Sky Bar was packed and we had a great bottle of wine.

The Location of this hotel was perfect!! Very central, close to metro (Sevilla) and close to lots of bars and food.

The bad this about the hotel was the AC. The room was HOT!! The AC worked, but it did not cool the room. The AC vent was located above the bathroom door which faced the window. We complained to the front desk, but not sure if they did anything about it. They said someone took a look at the AC and it was working fine. The lighting in the room did not help either. The room had small spotlighting which only made the room hotter.

It wasn't a bad hotel, but I don't think I would stay there again, we noticed plenty of 5 star hotels in the area.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank heck23
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Urban, responded to this review, 17 August 2010

Improve our services continually.

I am really sorry that you had an AC problem in your room, and I would like to inform you that we have opened an inquiry for this matter, but I understand that this was a specific failure for your room on that date.