“Urban Class”

Ranked #18 of 435 Hotels in Madrid
Carmel, CA
“Urban Class”
Reviewed 17 October 2010

We stayed at the Urban Hotel, managed and owned by the Derby Hotel Company, for three nights--our first nights in Spain (Madrid). Ideally located in the museum triangle (Prado, Reina Sofia, and Thyssen-Bornemicza), this hotel is gorgeous--tastefully decorated with authentic Asian antiques (mostly Buddhist) in each room and with a beautiful glass bathroom with lavish stainless steel fixtures, the kind that are very expensive in the US. (We had a junior suite, an upgrade from the deluxe room we had reserved.) The room was very spacious, minimalist in red tones and white, with wooden tansu and built-in wardrobe, and impeccably designed lighting. I would have liked small museum-quality lights in the glass cases displaying the art, to focus on their beauty. Everything about this hotel is to be recommended: the beautiful common space in the lobby (with Pacific Island --Oceania-- decor), the rooftop bar with a great shaved foie gras appetizer, the complimentary champagne, chocolates, and drinking water, and the small art museum on the lower floor. The room could also be darkened at night (with very heavy curtains) with windows facing a central courtyard to eliminate street noise. We were unable to eat at their renowned restaurant Europa Deco, which has been featured in a range of culinary magazines and cookbooks, due to our tight schedule. The only recommendation I would make is to have a more responsive email system. We tried to ask questions before departure by email but did not receive any responses, except the confirmation of our reservation. This worried us, since we had questions about the museum pass and restaurants, but on arrival the concierge staff were very helpful.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Urban, responded to this review, 19 November 2010

Felix García Hernán

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hawaii
Reviewed 16 October 2010

We stayed at this hotel at the end of our vacation. The hotel seemed modern and trendy, but it does not seem like a 5-star hotel. The rooms were relatively spacious (for Spain), clean, and comfortable. The service was generally good. But overall, it lacked that something extra that you would expect for its price and from a 5-star hotel. The rooftop was nice but the pool was very small and only a few feet deep (so don't expect to swim laps). The fitness center only had 2 or 3 pieces of cardio equipment and a few weights. The service in the hotel bars was unacceptably slow. The food in the hotel seemed outrageously expensive for what it was, e.g. approximately $25 for a continental breakfast. The one plus was the nice location. The hotel is just a few minutes away from the Prado Museum and the Thyssen, and also close to the Parque del Buen Retiro. We had earlier stayed near the Plaza Santo Domingo, and the area outside the Hotel Urban definitely felt like a nicer, more sophisticated section of town.

1 Thank hipdl
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Urban, responded to this review, 19 October 2010

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 16 October 2010

This hotel is modern, very clean and in a great location. The rooftop bar offers an awesome view of Madrid.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple

Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Reviewed 13 October 2010

The Urban is a very chic, classy hotel. We enjoyed our stay here for 4 nights. Initial impression of the reception/lobby area is excellent with the porter being extremely efficient in helping with luggage. We had booked a duplex room which wasn't ready on arrival & we were told to come back later in the afternoon.
On arriving back at the hotel later on, the duplex room still wasn't ready so we were offered to view a standard room instead. We had a look at both the options & decided that the duplex was really no better than the standard room - it's just a room that's split into an upstairs area - those stairs could be tricky after a few drinks! Or a pain unpacking your bags. We took the standard room at a reduced rate to the duplex & were perfectly happy with it. The only gripe we had was that the wardrobe was a nightmare for anyone trying to unpack/get to the other side of the bed as it is a sliding concertina type wardrobe that opens out into the room blocking the way to the far side of the bed and window & is pretty horrendous to move the door about. You just end up crawling across the bed!
We had welcome drinks for us in the upstairs trendy rooftop bar with the swimming pool. It was a faboulous view up there & the pink champagne was very welcome!
The service in the hotel is spot on with the reception staff being very helpful in giving us excellent restaurant recommendations. The waiter staff in the Glass Bar are also very efficient. The Glass Bar is a great spot to have a nice drink (although very expensive but hey this is Madrid!), the little snacks they bring with the drinks are delicious!
Nice touch with the chocolates & bottle of water brought to your room on the first evening are also really good.
The rooftop bar/pool is a lovely part of the hotel - a chance to escape the busy city & chill out in the sun. Although small, the swimming pool is perfect for a quick cool down.
We were there in their ‘winter season’ so on our last say were were on our own and so felt like our own private pool area!!
Would highly recommend this hotel in Madrid & would definately stay again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 October 2010

I have mixed feelings on the Urban Hotel. The location was outstanding and I really liked the modern look of the hotel. The doormen were very helpful and courteous, but the girl behind the reception desk was not very helpful.

We found the rooms to be very clean and although I also found it a little strange that the bed was downstairs and the living room upstairs, but I can't imagine negotiating the stairs in the middle of the night if I needed to use the restroom and some people may not want to use the living area so I guess it make sense. What I did think was funny was that the channels on the TV upstairs didn't match the channels on the TV downstairs. The beds were very comfortable and they provided a free bottle of water and a glass of champaign on our first day.

There is WiFi in the hotel, but you have to pay for it. This was the only hotel in Spain we stayed in that didn't have free WiFi, but I am guessing that is driven by being in Madrid vs the hotel. There were two PCs available in the business center for free and they were not difficult to get on.

The bar is also hopping! We came home at 1:30 am on a Wednesday night and it look like they were just getting started.

Laren, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 October 2010

This hotel is on a perfect spot in Madrid, near Sol. Near metrostations Sol and Sevilla (5 min walk). It has a beautiful entrance and rooms, although the rooms are a bit smaller then you may expect for this budget. Check the Egyptian 'museum' in the basement; really nice! The rooms on the roadside are way too noisy, especially on Saturday nights when all the Madrilenos are partying (and they will do that also under your hotelroom).
The staff is friendly but not overwhelming. You can see that this hotel is in the "big budget league". When we asked for tickets for the Real Madrid game on Sunday, they told us that they could arrange these but for a higher price then normal. They sorted out what this price was and came back with a incredible price of EUR 180 PER TICKET! Finally we bought the tickets at the counter at the stadion, and we paid only EUR 60 per ticket. The difference is too big.
It is a beautiful hotel but a little bit overpriced and too noisy for a hotel in this price range.

1 Thank Joris79
Dear Sir.

Luxembourg
Reviewed 28 September 2010

Decent service considering is a five stars hotel. Very dark, no view from any room. Duplex rooms strangely organized with living space upstairs. No swimming pool but more like hot tub. Had to argue to get an extended check out for only 2 hours!!! Breakfast not great and again decent. One of the two lifts broken for four days out of five, we had to queue with the external people going to the bar on the roof on Saturday night! Very nice bathroom and toiletries. Nice and modern but be aware it is very dark and no views from anywhere. Second restaurant shut in August.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Eurotraveller2010
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Urban, responded to this review, 29 September 2010
Dear Sir.