“Not comfortable”

Apartamentos Goya 75
Ranked #410 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Horrible experience! The room was the smallest I have ever been in necessitating in an under-sized bed that my feet hung-off and I am not tall. The bathroom so small that the sink is in the room next to the bed. You also have to close the curtain making it even more of a cave because people were watching us in bed from just 10 ft away. The wifi is so slow they give you the password for the neighboring hotel to use. In the restaurant they can’t even cook a steak right and it came cut-up like I was a child. Cava Baja claims to have many Tapa bars which is untrue they are just bars period! Stay away, Aloha

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank phillip_stjames
There are newer reviews for Apartamentos Goya 75

Reviewed 26 March 2012

I do not really understand the bad critics/photos. I stayed here with my parents just one night and we found a normal apartment with everything clean: bathroom, bedroom, living room and kitchen. The apartment was quite modern and nothing to see with the photos uploaded, it is a pity I do not take photos.

I only had the possibility to see the apartment in which we stayed, so it seems likely that the most are not good.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank donperico
Reviewed 8 June 2011

We were assigned a room straight out of a 1970's movie. Ancient fixtures, rusty stove, and tacky decorations. While some of this is excusable, the fact that the furniture and drapes were dirty and dusty make staying here an oddysey.

Location is great but i believe i could have found a hotel with similar pricing, and better quality.

Smaller rooms assigned to other family members were somewhat better, but the risk of being assigned one of the bad rooms makes this a dubious hotel choice.

Unrecommendable.....

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Mikedoron
Reviewed 22 July 2010

It is a budget apart hotel, but your money is worth more. The beds are terrible one could realy feel the mattress coils under a thin slice of foam. The air condition did not work and there was an instructions that it would operate only for a certain time during the day, tha means do not try it and during a terrible summer we had to let the windows open, but the street is very busy the whole night what made us really "feel" Madrid at night. The staff in the reception are not friendly, and speaks poor english. The only positive aspect is the distance from the subway station.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank csimoneti
Reviewed 6 May 2010

Someone else booked this for me and I read all the negative reviews after I was already committed to going! I was pretty nervous obviously but need not have worried.

Yes it is a bit basic but not a disgusting hole as some of the reviews say. Because other travelers have mentioned dirty carpets I have a feeling the apartments are already being upgraded since mine had a newish fake wood laminate hard floor.

Pros: nice area (Goya) one of Madrid's better locations; close to everything such as shops and metro; CHEAP as 4 people can stay for 80-ish Euros a night I mean come on. Solid building with nice elevators, lovely marble corridors, and pretty secure with multiple locks and bolts on your door.

Cons: mine was noisy due to facing onto busy main street, although double glazing works surprisingly well. Less well cleaned than typical hotel room. NB not implying it was filthy just a little bit tacky here and there. Internet access hopeless at 15 Euros per 24 hours who would pay that.

It's true that the reception staff don't seem to speak English and don't bother with you much. This is not because they don't care it is because that's the way things are in Spain and they generally don't speak English much anywhere. The desk people are regular guys not the usual international "have-a-nice-day" customer service droids so you just have to go along with the concept that as you are in in the capital of Spain you might have to cope with a bit of Spanish. My stuttering phrasebook stuff was only one step above sign language but seemed to get me in OK.

I am not the sort to put up with staying anywhere dodgy but I spent four days here and I was fine. The kitchen is good enough for simple meals and making coffee and the place is generally fairly cosy. I slept on the convertible sofa-bed (see photo) and both this and the real beds were comfortable if a little on the hard side.

Apartamentos Goya is not a luxury hotel but it is a simple basic place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 October 2008

I stayed in these apartments with my Mum this weekend when she came over to visit me in Madrid. The service is basic, for example there is no cleaning service over the weekends and the beds are not made for you, but the apartment itself is fine.Ours consisted of two beds with clean sheets, and a living room with a wooden floor, table, sofa bed and television. two hot plates and a fridge were provided in the way of a kitchen, complete with crockery. We were comfortable throughout the weekend and placed on the back so avoided noise. the views from the windows are nothing special but really, what are you expecting for the price? if you stay at the classy vincci hotel round the corner you will only get a view of the main road.
the hotel is very well located as it is only a few stops away from the centre, there are taxis available round the corner and there are several places to eat close by. while some of the receptionists are not too friendly, there is an older one with glasses that will try to help with anything he can. one thing people should bear in mind upon coming to spain is that the culture is not the same and often things british people or americans would view as "rude" is not seen as rude here. english is not spoken by most people, one of the receptionists did speak some english but if you have no spanish try to bring a phrase book or something. english is not commonly spoken in spain as in other european countries, and really, its unfair to expect people to be bilingual- are we? when i read the reviews about this aparthotel on trip advisor i was very worried as we had already booked it. if you are looking for luxury, look for somewhere else, but if you are looking for a basic, clean apartment to use as a base do not worry when you read the other reviews here. whilst it isnt the ritz, unless the apartments vary greatly then it is not the hovel it is made out to be either.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank lapeque410
Reviewed 19 July 2008

I'd been warned that this was a budget establishment, but nothing could have prepared me for the uncleanliness of the rooms and the poor manners of the staff.

Our room (a 'no smoking' room) stank of stale smoke, the carpets and furniture were worn and looked pre-Franco!

The hot water was non-existent, when we tried to complain, the concierge smiled and spoke in Spanish only. Seriously rude and only when I slammed my hand down on the counter was a phone call offered to their bookings service.

Partial refund offered by them, but the final straw had to be a cockroach walking across our room when we returned that night.

This place is a dive, pay the extra and stay somewhere nice, I wish I had.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple