“Great hotel, not the best area”
Review of Artrip Hotel

Artrip Hotel
Ranked #4 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Seattle, Washington
“Great hotel, not the best area”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I changed my reservation from Hotel Preciados to the Artrip after reading reviews on TripAdvisor. My reservation was for 2 nights, but I checked out early and went back to the Hotel Preciados.

This hotel is lovely. The rooms are clean. The hotel clerks are very nice.

What I didn't like is that they store people's luggage (a nice free service) in the common area where anyone could take off with it. The lobby entrance is locked. When I first checked in, my room was not ready so I dropped my bags and headed for the Prado. When I returned, I had to wait a good 10 minutes before anyone buzzed me in. That was frustrating.

The location is not as nice. They are a close walk to the Regina Sofia, but quite a walk to the Prado, or Plaza Mayor. I travel Europe by myself frequently, and this is one of the only times where I did not feel safe walking around the area, especially at night. Lots of men approaching me, and things that made me uncomfortable on my walk to and from the Plaza Mayor area. Also, I couldn't find a single restaurant where anyone spoke English (even the restaurant they recommended). I finally went to the grocery store where I could make a purchase. Very frustrating.

If you are with others, maybe you won't mind the location. But I am so glad that this is not the first place I ever stayed in Madrid, because I would not have fallen in love with the city the way I did when I stayed at the Hotel Preciados.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank Lisa H
Miguel Ángel P, Propietario at Artrip Hotel, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Dear Guest,
First of all, thank you for your review on tripadvisor, me and my team think that it´s very important the feedback´s guests, having direct information to improve our work in the hotel everyday.

I apologize if you had to wait some time before you get the room, because the house keeping team were cleaning the rooms, usually in the mornings we need to clean when the guests left the rooms, after 12,00. Probably we were fully booked and a lot of work to do and we ´ve only 17 rooms, this is a boutique small hotel. We give the rooms as soon as we can everyday side we opened.

About the location, into the town center of Madrid, can understand it´s a multicultural, multi-ethnical, bohemian and working class neighborhood. There are no tourists, there are students, artists, immigrants and spanish workers citizens. But believe me, it is a true safe area. I ´ve opened this hotel since a year and a half, and after 20.000 guests sleeping here, until now never happened nothing in Lavapiés neighborhood.

We are very proud that during all the last 2013 year, this hotel has been at the "first position" in Madrid on Tripadvisor (after 380 different reviews).

Sorry for your experience anyway, and best kind regards.

Miguel Ángel Porras García

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 24 January 2014

The bed and linens were so comfortable. I never slept so well at a hotel. So quiet.I gave one of the desk clerks some postcards to put out in the next days mail. In the morning she informed me that she dropped them off at mail box on her way home. How nice!
Everyday after dinner we would stop by a bakery,(next door) and sit in the breakfast room to enjoy dessert with complimentary coffee and tea. I loved the lounge music playlist in the evening and the more upbeat music in the morning. Very nice detail. A great stay for my first time in Madrid. Thank you

Room Tip: We had a junior suite with a window facing the inner courtyard. Very quite.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Sylvia,
Thank you so much for your review. We are very happy that your first stay in Madrid was a positive experience and that you have slept so well in our quite hotel. We are very glad to hear such a nice words about the helpful Staff. We are a familiar and small hotel and try to do it as best as we can.

Thanks again and hope to see again some day you come back to Madrid.

London
Reviewed 23 January 2014

This great little hotel is under rated at 2* Only opened just over a year ago it's fresh, modern with high quality fittings and nicely decorated interior in an old building. Owner operated hotel, he even takes his turn on front desk, his young staff are very friendly and helpful I cannot fault them at all. Only a few hundred yards from the metro, which is easy to negotiate, easy walking distance to Regina Sofia Museum and Prada is walkable, about a 10-15 minute walk to Plaza Major. Lavapias, the area of the hotel, is a multicultural district, the restaurants are very Spanish, not many tourists so you will not find menus translated, there are some good restaurants and the food is very reasonably priced, ask reception for some recommendations, it's much cheaper than in the tourist areas. Breakfast is good, not a large selection, great coffee! We had an attic room which was lovely, but it you are over 5'7" mind your head on the beam! Bed comfortable, bathroom good, separate shower good.
Will definitely stay here again next year when visiting friends.

Room Tip: If you are over 5'7" attic rooms have low beams!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
We appreciate a lot your time to review the Artrip Hotel.
Thanks for your excellent comments about our privileged Location, comfortable beds, good coffee and the friendliness of our Staff, will transfer their positive comments to all our Team and we love knowing that you´ll visit the Hotel again when you return to Madrid.

Hope to see you soon.

Kind regards,

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Very nicely done out hotel in a convenient location for public transport and local sights. We stayed for a weekend trip focused around an Atletico Madrid game. We decided to walk to the ground and this was a bit of a walk but not a problem.

We had the loft room, and the bed was a bit small, but I'm used to a king at home! So not really a complaint.

We did struggle with local restaurants due to my husband having picky tastes and us not speaking any Spanish, more ignorance on our part really.

Very easy to get around on the Metro though.

I would definitely recommend the Dominio de Antargu restaurant within the wine shop around the corner on Ronda de Atocha. Absolutely beautiful food and amazing wine.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
We appreciate your good and positive comments about our Artrip Hotel.Thanks for highlighting our strategic location in Madrid Town Center.

So glad you had a good stay and had fun in the football match at Athletico de Madrid Stadium near our hotel.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Last year during six weeks travelling from Istanbul to Lisbon we stayed in hotels ranging from 2 star to 5 star. This one was a stand out.
Artrip is a slick minimalist fit out in an old building, high quality modern and beautifully detailed interior, great bed, railhead shower, etc.

Owner operated, the personnel were all friendly and very helpful, nice continental breakfast with great coffee included.

Walking distance to Prado and centre of Madrid. Would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: We had a lovely room with french doors overlooking the street.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Tim,
I remember you perfectly. Thanks a lot for this marvelous review on trip advisor.
Thanks for highlighting the building restored, comfortable beds, good showers and the top quality coffee we have.

I´d like you´ll come back some day. Perhaps one day I´ll travel to Australia to meet you at Sidney.

Thanks a lot for choosing us and also for your honest kindness !

Amsterdam
Reviewed 12 January 2014

It is a great little hotel for two stars but I kept feeling that the rate was not quite justified. Anyway: very nice and helpful people at the reception, room adequate but the shower is really a matter of taste. Great thing that the toilet is separate though! Brekfast buffet could have been better, therefore "only" 4 stars from me. Location though, is great!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sasch
Miguel Ángel P, Propietario at Artrip Hotel, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your review. We are very happy that your stay was a positive experience. We are very glad to hear such a nice words about the location and helpful Staff.
Thanks for your feedback about the breakfast, we are thinking to do some changes in it this year to have more variety, because the quality it is top.

Thanks again for choosing us for your travel to Madrid. And hope to see you soon.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

We shared a triple room for 2 nights. The shower and toilet are separate from each other and the shower opens into the room directly. The shower itself is awesome, but water seemed to leak into the room. Privacy is limited awkward with the share arrangement. High comfort level, beds, ac, fan tv etc. breakfast is fine & cheap. The area is colourful and you can buy anything on the street outside the hotel. It's a really short walk to the Plaza de sol, Mayor, Prado, Reine Sophia etc and Lavapies metro is very close if you don't want to walk. Good value, location and great staff.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Skimum123
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you very much for your wonderful comments.
Very happy that you liked the shower, modern rooms, our location near the Atocha Railway Station and our friendly staff, that we think it is the best compliments for a Hotel.

Thanks also for your feedback of the water seemed leak into the room from the shower, we´ll check it to repair it.

Looking forward to welcoming you again.