“"No.1 Hotel in Madrid for a reason"”
Review of Artrip Hotel

Artrip Hotel
Ranked #7 of 443 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 27 January 2014

My Dad and I are finishing up our five-day stay here. It is an exceptional hotel. There is a reason it is the number 1 rated hotel in Madrid on TripAdvisor. The three staff members who were at the front desk during our stay were very nice, spoke English and gave great suggestions on places to go sightseeing and eating. The room was very clean and comfortable and well maintained. One of the other great things about this hotel was the continental (plus) breakfast served every morning. It is unusual for a hotel of this size and in Spain to have breakfast included in your stay. The food was made fresh everyday and was served late for those who like to sleep in. Also this hotel is located just down the street from the Lavapies metro stop, which is a huge plus because it helps make traveling around the city efficient. Our stay was absolutely wonderful. Miguel and his staff have done an outstanding job with this hotel. Just a couple of suggestions: add another trash can in the bedroom or have a larger one in the bathroom. The one we had was a little too small to throw everything away. Also have a box of tissues in the room. Most hotel rooms have a box of tissues in case you need it. Overall fantastic experience. I strongly recommend this hotel if you are traveling to Madrid.

Room Tip: For larger families or groups go with the family rooms or junior suites because they have more room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank TSP2014
Miguel Ángel P, Propietario at Artrip Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear Guest,
Thanks for your time to devote some words to our Hotel as this is a gift to us.
Thanks for your comments about our location, rooms, breakfast and our Team, but the big win is that you want to come back to us whenever you are in Madrid.

Thanks again and hope to see you soon at Artrip Hotel.

Miguel Ángel Porras García

Write a ReviewReviews (1,398)

Reviewed 25 January 2014

The hotel was lovely. Staff were very very friendly offering advice on what to do and see in the city. The area of the hotel is more residential which I could see why some would find it a bit off putting however there was no problems and I personally thought the location was excellent, being only a short walk away from the centre of things. The rooms were spacious and clean and the breakfast although basic, was more than enough to start the day. The coffee machine was a nice little treat. Overall I really enjoyed my stay at the Artrip. The staff could not have been any more helpful.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank poppykt
Miguel Ángel P, Propietario at Artrip Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Dear Guest,
We appreciate your positive comments about our Artrip Hotel (clean and spacious rooms, friendly staff and excellent coffee & tea to take "free" in our small but nice lounge.

Thanks also for highlighting our central and non touristic location just 15´minutes walking from Puerta del Sol, Plaza Mayor, Opera House, Royal Palace, Almudena Cathedral and the best museums of Madrid.

So glad you had a good stay and would like to see you again soon.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

What a great little hotel this is. Not too small to feel intimidated, not too big to feel anonymous.
All the personal we encountered were cheerful and friendly, especially James at check-in (probably the English name version), a good way to start a 4 nights stay in Madrid.

The room was spacious and although I am not a huge fan of open plan bathrooms, this was designed perfectly with a large sliding closing door. The rain shower was so nice!!

Artrip has a changing gallery of art in their lobby, it was a nice touch.

Breakfast was simple but perfect for us with good coffee at only €5,00 per person, what a bargain.
Some really nice local restaurants in the area, metro in a few minutes walking distance.

We really liked the neighborhood. It felt very local, non-touristy and within walking distance of the centre and attractions. Sure, you can tell it is an upcoming area and you see some guys hanging around the Lavapies square, but this reflects any large city. It has an edge but in a positive way.

Thanks to the owners and staff who should be very proud in owning and running this perfect little hotel!

Recommended!

1  Thank thefortA

Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you very much for your wonderful comments but also for your useful remarks about the hotel services and the neighborhood.

We are very happy that you liked the rooms, shower, good coffee and our staff (I´ll tell to James your words), that it is the best compliments for a Hotel. I agree with you that really feel very proud that how we are runnig the small and boutique Artrip Hote.

Looking forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

I changed my reservation from Hotel Preciados to the Artrip after reading reviews on TripAdvisor. My reservation was for 2 nights, but I checked out early and went back to the Hotel Preciados.

This hotel is lovely. The rooms are clean. The hotel clerks are very nice.

What I didn't like is that they store people's luggage (a nice free service) in the common area where anyone could take off with it. The lobby entrance is locked. When I first checked in, my room was not ready so I dropped my bags and headed for the Prado. When I returned, I had to wait a good 10 minutes before anyone buzzed me in. That was frustrating.

The location is not as nice. They are a close walk to the Regina Sofia, but quite a walk to the Prado, or Plaza Mayor. I travel Europe by myself frequently, and this is one of the only times where I did not feel safe walking around the area, especially at night. Lots of men approaching me, and things that made me uncomfortable on my walk to and from the Plaza Mayor area. Also, I couldn't find a single restaurant where anyone spoke English (even the restaurant they recommended). I finally went to the grocery store where I could make a purchase. Very frustrating.

If you are with others, maybe you won't mind the location. But I am so glad that this is not the first place I ever stayed in Madrid, because I would not have fallen in love with the city the way I did when I stayed at the Hotel Preciados.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank Lisa H
Miguel Ángel P, Propietario at Artrip Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Dear Guest,
First of all, thank you for your review on tripadvisor, me and my team think that it´s very important the feedback´s guests, having direct information to improve our work in the hotel everyday.

I apologize if you had to wait some time before you get the room, because the house keeping team were cleaning the rooms, usually in the mornings we need to clean when the guests left the rooms, after 12,00. Probably we were fully booked and a lot of work to do and we ´ve only 17 rooms, this is a boutique small hotel. We give the rooms as soon as we can everyday side we opened.

About the location, into the town center of Madrid, can understand it´s a multicultural, multi-ethnical, bohemian and working class neighborhood. There are no tourists, there are students, artists, immigrants and spanish workers citizens. But believe me, it is a true safe area. I ´ve opened this hotel since a year and a half, and after 20.000 guests sleeping here, until now never happened nothing in Lavapiés neighborhood.

We are very proud that during all the last 2013 year, this hotel has been at the "first position" in Madrid on Tripadvisor (after 380 different reviews).

Sorry for your experience anyway, and best kind regards.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

The bed and linens were so comfortable. I never slept so well at a hotel. So quiet.I gave one of the desk clerks some postcards to put out in the next days mail. In the morning she informed me that she dropped them off at mail box on her way home. How nice!
Everyday after dinner we would stop by a bakery,(next door) and sit in the breakfast room to enjoy dessert with complimentary coffee and tea. I loved the lounge music playlist in the evening and the more upbeat music in the morning. Very nice detail. A great stay for my first time in Madrid. Thank you

Room Tip: We had a junior suite with a window facing the inner courtyard. Very quite.

Dear Sylvia,
Thank you so much for your review. We are very happy that your first stay in Madrid was a positive experience and that you have slept so well in our quite hotel. We are very glad to hear such a nice words about the helpful Staff. We are a familiar and small hotel and try to do it as best as we can.

Thanks again and hope to see again some day you come back to Madrid.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

This great little hotel is under rated at 2* Only opened just over a year ago it's fresh, modern with high quality fittings and nicely decorated interior in an old building. Owner operated hotel, he even takes his turn on front desk, his young staff are very friendly and helpful I cannot fault them at all. Only a few hundred yards from the metro, which is easy to negotiate, easy walking distance to Regina Sofia Museum and Prada is walkable, about a 10-15 minute walk to Plaza Major. Lavapias, the area of the hotel, is a multicultural district, the restaurants are very Spanish, not many tourists so you will not find menus translated, there are some good restaurants and the food is very reasonably priced, ask reception for some recommendations, it's much cheaper than in the tourist areas. Breakfast is good, not a large selection, great coffee! We had an attic room which was lovely, but it you are over 5'7" mind your head on the beam! Bed comfortable, bathroom good, separate shower good.
Will definitely stay here again next year when visiting friends.

Room Tip: If you are over 5'7" attic rooms have low beams!

Dear Guest,
We appreciate a lot your time to review the Artrip Hotel.
Thanks for your excellent comments about our privileged Location, comfortable beds, good coffee and the friendliness of our Staff, will transfer their positive comments to all our Team and we love knowing that you´ll visit the Hotel again when you return to Madrid.

Hope to see you soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Very nicely done out hotel in a convenient location for public transport and local sights. We stayed for a weekend trip focused around an Atletico Madrid game. We decided to walk to the ground and this was a bit of a walk but not a problem.

We had the loft room, and the bed was a bit small, but I'm used to a king at home! So not really a complaint.

We did struggle with local restaurants due to my husband having picky tastes and us not speaking any Spanish, more ignorance on our part really.

Very easy to get around on the Metro though.

I would definitely recommend the Dominio de Antargu restaurant within the wine shop around the corner on Ronda de Atocha. Absolutely beautiful food and amazing wine.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
We appreciate your good and positive comments about our Artrip Hotel.Thanks for highlighting our strategic location in Madrid Town Center.

So glad you had a good stay and had fun in the football match at Athletico de Madrid Stadium near our hotel.