“Warmest welcome ever!”
Review of Artrip Hotel

Artrip Hotel
Ranked #5 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I have checked into hundreds (no exaggeration) of hotels and have never received a more enthusiastic welcome than the one I got from Sara! Seriously, I was bowled over!

My room was in the front - it was simple, but cleverly designed with nice touches - cool lampshades, chic bathroom fixtures, a fridge. Pretty good soundproofing, excellent water pressure. The breakfast was pretty standard for Spain, but I have to say their coffee machine makes excellent coffee.

It's an easy 15-minute walk from the Puerta Atoches train station, very convenient if you're taking the high-speed train from Barcelona. Even though the neighborhood is not upscale, I felt safe. It's a good location in that most of the central sights are within a 20-minute walk. There is a subway station close by too.

I highly recommend the Artrip to anyone who wants style, value and a great staff.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Miguel Ángel P, Propietario at Artrip Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Guest,
Your compliments of the Artrip Hotel are greatly appreciated. We work diligently to offer the best service and a great stay for each guest. It is nice to know when this succeeded. Your compliments of our staff, location and good relation price-quality are very much appreciated.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, for your recommendations and for taking time to write a wonderful review.

Best regards. We look forward to your return.

There are newer reviews for Artrip Hotel

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Hotels can be nice, but are nothing to me, without a great staff. Fortunately, Artrip has it all. Everyone loves the staff here ( from reviews I read before...and now I see why....meet by James's warm smile and kind, welcoming words. Immediately, we felt at home....as to the hotel! itself, ...Modern design, simple but very functional. The stay here is perfect and fairly priced. Again, it's the staff that really makes the place shine.
Upon arrival, our mini frig had been stocked with complementary drinks, on near by table , a tea pot with tea and tea cups ready to go, and two delicious apples to snack on. Perfect, after traveling...a good pick up and simple , nice touch. Also, we were upgraded to a larger room than we booked which was a great surprise. Bed was comfortable, a shoot of live bamboo in vase next to bed, huge windows off balcony , near our bed opened wide for nice cool spring breezes for good sleeping.

Artrip hotel is positioned nicely for visiting the Prada and other art museums, and the staff will give you a map and highlight various options .....everything worth seeing in madrid is in reasonable walking distance , including the main central plaza and a mega park.
Neighborhood around hotel seems friendly and safe. There are also
Little grocery stores on same street for basics and drinks for your frig, along with loads of places to stop at for tapas and drinks....and pharmacies, if needed. We don't need more...a great little hotel.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelfunretired2000

Dear Guest,
We appreciate your good and positive review about our Artrip Hotel.
Thanks so much for highlighting our friendly staff at the front desk and about he good value of this small and familiar boutique hotel very well located in Madrid town center.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Stayed for 3 nights last summer as part of a longer trip to Andalucia, and its was certainly one of the highlights of our holiday. Ok, so its nice it the best part of Madrid, but once you are inside you can quite easily feel that you are somewhere tucked away in the more upmarket Salamanca...although probably for a fraction of the price.

The hotel was easy to find, and didn't take us too long to get there from the airport. Unfortunately upon arrival I realised that I had 'misplaced' my passport, and immediately the reception staff did everything they could to help, including running off various numbers and web addresses (which in the long run saved me so much hassle).

Our room was quite compact, but beautiful. Wonderful old shutters and windows overlooking the main road, and inside, an ultra modern open plan bathroom. The bed was very comfortable, and we had a great nights sleep each night.

Breakfast was a little limited, but still great. Also nice to come back each day and have a coffee / tea in the rear breakfast room.

We will definitely be back one day!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Miguel Ángel P, Propietario at Artrip Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Inlondon26,
Thank you for choosing us for your trip last summer in Spain.
We appreciate a lot your good and positive comments about our Artrip Hotel. For us your feed back is really very important to improve everyday.
In fact, we ´ve improved a little our breakfast put in it more variety of food as spanish omelet, biscuits, etc..

Thanks for highlighting our old-modern design of our rooms and about the customer service of this small and familiar boutique hotel. We think this is the most important thing in a hotel, to feel like in your home.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

This hotel is not the Savoy, but it is without a doubt one of the best (if not the best) value hotels I have ever stayed in. Location was very handy for me - I was attending a conference near by. Maybe not that central to touristy things - that said lavapies subway is a stones throw away. Room was spotless and a lot more than I had expected standard wise. Cool funky shower, good bed, usual tea & coffee kit. Complimentary bottles of water (every hotel should do this). I had a v small balcony, but for those smokers among us you could close the door and have a cigarette. The staff - including the owner - were just great, genuinely happy people and on a business trip missing family & kids that was very welcome. Good advice on tapas and a good late night bar (being on my own that was appreciated, got my music taste down to a tee).

I have to say though the rest of the staff were stellar the true star was the young lady doing the breakfast buffet. She was on the receiving end of a horrible, horrible tirade from a very irate American gentleman. I thought about intervening as he was going a bit OTT but it was apparent I did not need to worry. With natural aplomb the lady turned that frown upside down. She has missed a career in customer support training with natural ability like that.

All this is not even mentioning the great art all around, and the enthusiasm of the staff. Lovely atmosphere with such few people.

I don't normally gush - see my other reviews. But this one is a gem. Absolute gem.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Adoran45,

Your outstanding compliments of our staff, location are very much appreciated.

We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

This hotel is not the most luxurious in Madrid, not in the toniest neighborhood in Madrid, but it's one we hope to return to some day. The staff could not be better: all the way from owner Miguel, to "Charity" at reception, to everyone else who works there, a culture of hospitality and pleasantness permeates the place. It was by far the most welcoming hotel I have ever visited. We happened to be there for Valentines Day, for example, and found that the staff had put handwritten cards with small baskets of sweets in every room. So thoughtful! My wife and I and our daughter stayed there at the beginning and end of our trip. The room was not large but adequate. I will say the vinyl-wallpaper stuff on the floor could use an update and the rooms were quite sparse. We just loved the access to the cafe con leche machine all day and night. The location of the hotel was perfect. We took the shuttle from the airport to the Atocha train station and it was a short walk to the hotel. We walked to all major sights. The neighborhood on one side of the hotel is a little on the "bohemian" side but we never felt the least bit threatened and in fact became buddies with some locals including the baker 2 doors down. We also made good use of the Carrefores Supermarket down the block. All in all, this was a great stay. Thank you Miguel! Thank you Charity! Hasta luego.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Guapbob

Dear Guest,
We appreciate your good and positive comments about our Artrip Hotel. I just can say three words; Thanks, thanks and thanks for choosing us.

Thanks for highlighting our strategic location in Madrid Town Center and overall about he good customer service of this small and familiar boutique hotel.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

We booked this hotel due to the TA ratings and weren't disappointed. We stayed in Room 301A overlooking Calle. Valencia and with the shutters closed there was no noise from the street at all. The room was spacious and well appointed, the safe was easy to use and the rainfall shower was a joy!
The staff are all friendly and helpful, determined to make their guests stay an enjoyable experience. The breakfasts are excellent and the unrestricted use of the coffee machine was a real bonus.
(Un)Fortunately we had a mix-up with our flight dates and as a consequence are returning to Madrid in March. We didn't consider looking at any other accommodation because the Hotel Artrip was just perfect for us and it thoroughly deserves all the accolades it receives .
See you soon.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Robert F,
Thanks so much for your time to devote such a beautiful words to our Hotel as this is a gift to us.

Thanks for your comments about our service, quite rooms and good coffe-machine downstairs in our small lounge, but the big win is that you want to come back to us whenever you are in Madrid.

Thanks again and hope to see you soon at Artrip Hotel.

Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed for four nights and immediately felt at home. The owner/manager Miguel is very helpful and all of his team are friendly and pleasant. The room was very spacious (I had a junior suite) and whilst there is no view it was very quiet. The bed was comfortable (though firm) and the minimalist decor worked well. The rain shower is lovely and the room was very clean. I really appreciated the tasty continental breakfast which was good value at five euros. The hotel is a two minute stroll from Lavapies metro stop and one stop from 'Sol' - the official centre of Madrid. The number 34 bus on the main road stops opposite the three big art museums. You can get a 5 day metro / bus card for just over 20 Euros. Whilst Miguel doesn't like to recommend nearby restaurants (I guess it wouldn't be fair to favour one over others) I tried out Los Chuchis which is two minutes away and it was great - lively, down to earth and great food. When I mentioned to one of the reception staff I'd been there she said she loved it and agreed the baked Camembert with roasted garlic is to die for. If I go back to Madrid I'd definitely stay at the Artrip again. Don't be put off by comments about the area being working class or ethnic. The people are friendly and I felt very safe as a solo traveller.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Kazlet

Dear Kazlet,
First of all thank you for this wonderful review. Thank you for your kind words and consideration. We are very happy that you enjoyed your time here and liked the hotel and location.
I will share your comments with the entire staff. They take great pride in their service efforts. It means so much to our team to hear a review like yours.

We are very glad to hear such a nice words about our rooms, the continental breakfast and our recommendation about the near good restaurant "Los Chuchis".

It will be a real pleasure for us to host you in our hotel again.

With kind regards,