“A tour of Las Ventas is fascinating”
Review of Las Ventas Tour

Las Ventas Tour
Book In Advance
More Info
US$18.63*
and up
Las Ventas Bullring Entrance Ticket and...
Ranked #68 of 302 Tours in Madrid
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: With Las VentasTour Experience, you can take a 360 ° tour of the bullring of Las Ventas and its bullfighting museum. The tour of the bullring in Madrid, the most important in the world, includes an audio guide translated into 8 languages, as well as virtual reality experiences during which our visitors can immerse themselves in the San Isidro Fair. The tour of Las Ventas will allow you not only to visit one of the great monuments of Madrid, but to discover its history and architecture, visit the beautiful Bullfighting Museum where the great bullfighter Manolete's costumes and the best bullfighters in history, sculptures and Taurine paintings of great value, posters of all the fairs of San Isidro. The tour includes the visit of the big door, the chapel, the terraces, the doors of Drag and Gang, the alley and the ring.And if you like strong emotions, try our Virtual Toreo game, and put yourself in the shoes of a bullfighter, in front of a brave bull in the arena of Las Ventas !
Reviewed 28 July 2014

A nice way to find out about Spain's culture and tradition by visiting the great bullfighting arena in Madrid. If you'd like to find out about the corrida but hesitate to encourage the events by attending them, a tour of Las Ventas is a fascinating way to learn and get a feel for this highly important tradition in Spain's culture. The audio guided tour is well done, not too long and let's you walk around different levels of the arena. Good enough to get a feel of what the Matadors are faced with! I strongly reccommend to tour this place; the subway drops you directly at the front door.

1  Thank MontrealLouis007
in 17 reviews
"costumes"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 27 July 2014

This was my first time visiting an actual bullring. Its big and beautiful! Its a self guided tour whereby you can take your time touring and taking pictures at your own pace. Overall, the staffs at the entrance are very friendly and helpful. Especially the friendly male staff who helped me to take pictures and guide me for awhile.

However, my bad experience was inside the gift shop. The 2 female staffs were busy talking to each other that they ignored me at the cashier. That was until the same male staff informed them that there's a customer waiting to make her payment!

For those first time visitors, its worth visiting and learning more about what bullfighting is all about. BUT, I strongly discourage you guys from watching the bullfight. At the end of the day, the bull got killed! I understand that its their culture in Madrid and Seville.. But Its a cruelty to those innocent animals! :(

4  Thank shilllashillla
Reviewed 16 July 2014

the tour is really nice. with an audio guide you walk through the entire arena, and the information really helps you to understand the bullfight, the tradition and the arena. we loved it.

1  Thank 0201983
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Yes well. 40 years ago I got it into my head that I wanted to see a bull fight. My wife is an animal rights activist and declined the invitation. In season on late Sunday afternoons. I booked ticket months out and collected day of bullfight. They let you know what time the event starts and recommended you get there about half an hour before. Mix was about 60% tourists and 40% locals.
I paid for good seats up front and in the shade but didn't matter so much as a cloudy day.
The pageant side of things impresses. The squeamish tourists, a lot of young girls squealed and walked out in protest. Some quite early. Seriously what did they expect?
There was serious blood and gore and the bull is not going to win. The pageantry includes a team of costumed work horses dragging the hot carcass still dropping blood across the sand of arena and out gate. I sat behind a local who was with a group of American tourists and I was fortunate as he gave a commentary on what was happening.
There were 5 fights scheduled over two and a bit hours and I left after seeing three bulls dispatched. Crowd was small arena between 20 % and 30% of capacity. My own feeling was that only a small older part of local population maintains the interest and that it needs the tourists.
I gave it 5 stars as it was everything I expected and more with the costumes ceremony and pageantry. The movement of matadors is exaggerated theatre. Dare I say almost gay. But I am surprised there is still support for something so one sided and brutal. But that is what I expected and so should you. If you believe that it should be stopped then try not attending. Dropping crowds and economic struggles will likely end it sooner than do good travellers seeking to impose their moral and cultural views on others. I reckon it is on the way out. Glad I've seen one and I won't be going to another. If you want to see it then great. If you don't then don't go. Olay.

4  Thank fivemile
See more reviews
Reviewed 20 June 2014

No matter what your opinion may be regarding the ethics and cruelty of the bullfight, it was a thrill to experience the Spanish culture in all of its bullfight glory. Las Ventas is very easy to get to via metro, or we actually walked about 25 minutes from the Recoletos area. The bullfight is an important tradition in Spain and the atmosphere was festive and mostly true Spaniard, male dominated . We were lucky to be in town during the San Isidro Festival which runs late May through most of June, when there are bullfights each evening consisting of 6 bullfights per event, each lasting around 20-25 minutes.

Research / tickets –Las Ventas’ website http://www.bullfightticketsmadrid.com/en/home is really easy to use (available in multiple languages) for ticket purchase as well as a very good ‘Guide to Understanding Bullfighting’ so take time to educate yourself before you go. You can order the tickets in advance and either have them delivered to your hotel or pick them up at their teeny tiny office, an easy 15 minute walk from the Recoletos area.

Seating - the price of your seat is based on whether you sit in the shade, sun or partial sun/partial shade. You will appreciate the shade as the sun does not set until around 22:00 this time of year. We purposefully purchased tickets in the partial sun/partial shade up near the top (to avoid being too close to the gore) and had sunshine at our side for about an hour, then shade the rest of the time. The 'sun' seats directly face the sun the entire time so there is no relief from the heat and blinding views. Spend a few euros more for some shade.

During our visit several ‘big’ things occurred including 3 matadors who were either gored or knocked down and trampled a bit by the bull. While relieved that the human wasn’t killed, I was sort of glad that the bull got in a few ‘punches’. One matador showed so much courage during the fight that at the end, everyone started waving their white hankerchiefs and awarded the ear of the bull to the matador. Interesting to see as this does not happen too often (thankfully the ear is not removed in the arena, so you are spared that sight).

I did not enjoy watching the bull face his demise and stumble to his death. However I appreciate the event for the Spanish culture that it is and really enjoyed the pagentry and etiquette of the bullfight, watching the matadors in their beautifully tailored costumes strut around showing their courage.

Only you can know your opinion about this controversial sport and determine if you wish to partake or not, as it is not for everyone.

4  Thank EmOnTheGo