“Nice new hotel with bad sound insulation and poor customer service”

Hotel Indigo Madrid - Gran Via
Ranked #55 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Paris, France
“Nice new hotel with bad sound insulation and poor customer service”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I don't want to write a lot, as I already completed the full customer satisfaction questionnaire (sent to me by email following the stay), but in brief:

- 1 night only (business trip)
- nice new modern hotel, nice pool and terrace with excellent Madrid view (pool not tested, as it was raining), gym not tested
- bar with very good choice of Gins and Whiskeys, although rather expensive
- breakfast acceptable, but barely any hot food in the buffet (only on order for supplement fee)
- bar staff does not speak very well English (I haven't tried French or German)
- reception staff OK at check-in, but speechless at check-out when I complained about the quality of my sleep (they asked me was everything OK with your stay? - they obviously expect positive answer, but if your answer is negative, they will freeze and become speechless)
- I had really very bad sleep due to noise coming from neighboring room (I could hear their TV, conversation, music, phone ringing, FARTING etc..). They obviously didn't come for business, as they were up until 2am, then somebody called on a phone at 4am, which nobody didn't bother to pick-up for 2 minutes. I was woken up and couldn't fall asleep. I find this type of sound insulation between the rooms really very disappointing and unacceptable for a new-built hotel (even if they just refurbished an old building).

I didn't get a good rest for my meeting and I will not be coming back to Indigo (especially, when management completely ignored my wish to be contacted - expressed in the customer survey).

If this is how you value the gold members in your chain, I better stay in Crowne Plaza/Holiday Inn or in any of the Catalonia hotels next time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank mekky77
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Madrid - Gran Via, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear mekky77,

Thank you for being one of our IHG Rewards Club Gold members. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I am pleased that you found our hotel clean and nice. It is always motivating on our end to receive commendable feedback from our valued guests like you.

However, please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience you may have had with the noise challenges experienced and if the level of service received from our hotel staff was not up to par. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again here in Madrid.

Best Regards,

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We arrived at Hotel Indigo early Sunday morning after a 9 hour train ride from Santiago de Compostela. We had 2 rooms reserved and were expecting to have a place to leave our backpacks. The young lady at the front desk was amazingly efficient, professional and empathic. At 8:30AM she got us a room, to leave our stuff and freshen up. Our one night stay was filled with great service and friendly staff. It is half a block from the Gran Via, close enough, but secluded in a way that a much needed good night sleep was provided. We had been 3 weeks in Spain on the Camino de Santiago, we ended our journey on the 12th floor overlooking Madrid as the sun was setting.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rocky93
Rafael R, Director General at Hotel Indigo Madrid - Gran Via, responded to this review, 22 September 2014
Dear Rocky 93,

What a wonderful comment¡¡ thanks very much for taking the time dropping this lines.

We are delighted to have met your expectations and hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Madrid.

Kind regrads,

Rafael Ramirez
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights and enjoyed our stay!the location is excellent, the staff was very friendly and helpful. The decoration also was very modern. We wish they had bigger vanity kit selection in the bathroom (eg mending set ) and in breakfast eggs and omelets should be included. Big big plus the nespresso machine in the room.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rania A
Dear Rania A.

Thanks for your comments.

For us is always great to know our guest enjoy their stay.

We take your feedback very seriously and we are improving our breakfast offer adding more products and variety.

We're looking forward to seeing you on you next visit to Madrid.

Kind regards,

Berkshire
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We were in Madrid for a 3 day City Break and booked this hotel online. This is a very new hotel within IHG Group (3 months old). We were met with a very warm welcome and were allocated a room on the 11th Floor. The room was very modern and had everything you needed but a little on the small side due to the shape. Having said that the space was utilised very well and it was immaculately clean. We did have to phone reception to let them know that someone had left their knickers draped over the shower, which we found amusing more than anything else, but they insisted on moving us immediately to a larger room on the 5th Floor. The roof terrace is very nice and snacks and drinks are served all day and evening (I highly recommend the Pizzas). The only downfall (design fault) is that the swimming pool is situated underneath the sun terrace ledge which shades it from the sun making it freezing cold….just like getting into an ice bucket. I think going forward the hotel might consider heating it as no one could really use it, which is a real shame. The lights in our room were a bit of a challenge to use but this is due to the way the switches are set up. This hotel is still ironing out a few issues as expected with a new hotel, but really felt that they wanted to help and ensure we were comfortable and happy. The beds are large and very comfortable although my partner didn’t like the pillows as he said they were too soft….perfect me though. This hotel is located in a quiet side street, really central, just a few blocks from Plaza de Sol and within easy walking distance to the main areas including the bus stop for the tour buses, which cost 21 euros a day which is well worth it as you can hop on and off at your leisure until 10pm. We requested a late check-out and they organised this for us as IHG members for 2pm, however on the day of check out the hotel was so quiet that I ask if we could extend it to 4.30pm and they arranged this for us no problem. We really can’t fault this hotel and the warmth and helpfulness of the staff. I have already recommended it to several friends and colleagues. We would not hesitate to book this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank ChampagneLil
Rafael R, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Madrid - Gran Via, responded to this review, 16 September 2014
Dear Champagne,

Thanks for your comments. For us is really important to know your feedback.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and really sorry for the "surprise" experienced in your room.

Concerning our pool, in response to guest's comments we have already installed a heater so the temperature of the water is much more pleasant so hopefully you can enjoy it on your next visit.

Kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed there for three nights. It does the basics well (good location, bed and shower) but in our opinion it fails in some important respects, in particular the roof pool.

Positives:-
1. It's a very new hotel, so the furnishings and fittings are nice.
2. The beds were comfortable and a good size
3. The shower was great.
4. Location is fairly central.

Negatives:-
1. Very few of the sun loungers get much sun and they are hard to get anyway. The pool is mostly in the shade so it is ICE COLD (literally painfully cold - I've never known anything like it!). I wouldn't recommend going here if you want a pool / sun bathing holiday.
2. There is only a small gap between the foot of the bed and the opposite wall. And there is a TV mounted on this wall in a wooden box, which you will bang into as you squeeze past. Both my wife and I scraped the skin off our shoulders. I'll survive, but it still bloody hurts!
3. The air con worked well, but mysteriously seemed not to work in the middle of the night.This could well be user error on my part, but I woke up on all three nights because I was too hot and couldn't find a solution.
4. The hotel gym is closed, but the hotel have an agreement so guests can use a nearby gym. It's an inconvenience, but not the end of the world.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Chris-Ginny
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Madrid - Gran Via, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Chris-Ginny,

Thank you for taking your time to review our property. I am pleased to know that you found our shower facility great and location convenient. However, I regret the issues you had with the air conditioning unit and pool facility. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Kind Regards,

Charisse V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Stayed in this brand new, only one month old hotel in Madrid and Loved it! The hotel is located a few blocks from Plaza del Sol in central Madrid. The rates can't be beat this is a great value for the money. There is a roof top bar and lounge along with a pool. The rooms are not very large but very well decorated with bright colors and graphic prints of the old city. The street where the main entrance is located is non descript and narrow however just around the block is the main tourist area and many nice restaurants. We had stayed in a more upscale hotel at the beginning our trip to Madrid and liked this one just as much. This hotel will become very popular once the word gets around.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mario0355
Rafael R, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Madrid - Gran Via, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Mario0355,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a wonderful review.

The team would love to thank you for sharing this incredible experience with us and we would love to see you back soon!

Kindest Regards,

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is obviously a very new hotel making it look very nice and unworn. Added to its great location just on the Gran-via making it a great choice for most type of visitors, primarily leisure yet business guest will be able to find it comfortable just as much, given the rate is reasonable.
Room was a bit on the small side though didn't feel very tight at least not for me being single person.
Business traveler may find the desk as too small for conveniently working a laptop and this is increased by all the things that are placed on the table: coffee machine (executive room) and phone and desk lamp - I would recommend to hotel staff to look for other arrangement to allow more desk space.
Few bad points to mention: Noise isolation does not seems to be of the best, its not that I've heard any people talking but rather heard pretty clear knocking when the next room was being cleaned as well as doors slammed in the hallway.
In addition, the cleaning staff had its equipment spread across the floor blocking the way even at 4:00pm afternoon which I found a bit annoying. It was cleared later in the evening.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Y66
Dear Y66,

Thank you for taking the time to write about us!

We really appreciate your feedback and take your comments into account for future actions.

We apologize for the inconveniences caused during your last stay in relation to the noise isolation. Next time, please let us know and we will change your room to a quieter room.

Concerning your comment referencing the desk size and distribution, we have already change the distribution of the stuff on the table giving response to several guest's reviews.

Please, next time you are coming to stay with us, send us and email or give us a call and we will make sure 100% pleasant stay.

Kind Regards,