“Business Trip to Madrid”

Petit Palace Puerta Del Sol
Ranked #102 of 443 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This was a trip to Madrid and was pre booked for us by an agency company so sometimes you don't know what you are going to get. The hotel Petit Palace was a clean and tidy hotel. The room I stayed in was good and had plenty of facilities including a mini bar and tv etc. I did not eat at the hotel as the times did not fit in with my work schedule so I cannot comment on the food. The hotel is excellently situated 100 yards from Sol train station and Metro. It is ideally situated for all the main sights and attractions of the city centre. I stayed for 5 nights and had no complaints whatsoever. The staff were very helpful and friendly and polite. I did read the reviews on TripAdvisor prior to going and although some are not complimentary I can only say my stay was enjoyable.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Paul M
PPPuertadelSol, Director de Recepción at Petit Palace Puerta Del Sol, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear guest,
thank you very much for your rating and your comments about your stay.
We are very glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel.
As you said in your comments, our hotel has a great location, very close to the main touristics points as the Royal Palace, Prado museum, Plaza Mayor etc...
We hope to see you soon again.
Front Desk Manager
pds@petitpalace.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,037)

Reviewed 26 May 2014

This hotel is best for its fantastic location and the staff were really helpful throughout our stay.

The only cons to staying here is that the bathroom had a really uncomfortable stench. We tried running hot water to get rid of it but it just wouldn't go away. Also, they seemed to use a really strong detergent that left the room and the bathroom with a very strong smell that made me feel sick sometimes.

The hotel was also very noisy because of the thin walls. We stayed in a room with an exterior view, and I guess it was closer to the emergency exit so it was noisy from 7am onwards because of housekeeping. The walls are so thin that you could pretty much hear everything all the time which was a little annoying. The room itself was nicely furnished, and a comfortable size though. That said, they had thin blankets which made you feel as though you were freezing half the time.

The hotel had the option of a buffet breakfast which had limited choices but was relatively good for the price.

Overall, the real selling point of the hotel is its location and the great staff. The rooms weren't terrible, especially if you're out most of the day anyway. I suppose I might stay here again just because of the location.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
PPPuertadelSol, Director de Recepción at Petit Palace Puerta Del Sol, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Customer,
thank you very much for your feedback, we are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay.
Also appreciate your comments about our staff, we work every day to ensure that our guests leave the hotel satisfied with their stay.
Thanks again for your rating.
Front Desk Manager
puertadelsol@petitpalace.com

Reviewed 24 May 2014

I have just returned from a business trip to Madrid and this time we decided to find a hotel which was more central. The location of this hotel was fantastic, right next to puerto del Sol which has a fantastic atmosphere with so much going on. Unfortunately this resulted in the evenings being very noisy at times! Some nights people were shouting at 4-5am and when you are needing to get up for work it's not ideal, I think this is due to the night club Joy being located in the same street.

The hotel wasn't too bad, it could do with a lick of paint here and there but in such an old building you do expect it to be a little worn in places. The rooms were quite spacious, two single beds pushed together which were quite comfy, the air con was good but a little loud if using through the night. The bathroom was relatively clean, although mine had a strange smell even after the cleaner had been in. The water also ran brown a couple of times. Something I found strange was whenever you put your key card in the light in the room a red light came on above your door, this to me just highlights your room is occupied/unoccupied so put your valuables in the safe!!!

The breakfast was ok but not great, but I only tend to eat cereal and fruit so for me it was ok but my colleagues went out to eat after the 1st morning.

The staff seemed quite friendly although when we tried to cancel a night in the hotel as it had been booked by mistake it took 5 days to sort as they said it couldn't be done, eventually it was sorted.

Overall quite a nice hotel but if you need a decent nights sleep I would maybe reconsider which hotel you choose. Not sure if I would stay again, I might if I wanted a city break.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank sianypop

Dear Customer,
thank you very much for your feedback, we are pleased to know that you have been enjoying the city thanks to our fantastic location.
Referring to Arenal street is a busy central street, however, we want to let you know that we have interior rooms with the same amenities as the exterior, but quieter.
We look forward to seeing you again soon,
best regards
Front desk Manager
puertadelsol@petitpalace.com

Reviewed 26 April 2014

For me, this hotel was all about the location. It is right next to Puerta del Sol and within walking distance of so much. From here we walked the museums (Prado, Reina Sofia), the Royal Palace, and many other beautiful sights. There are plenty of restaurants and shops nearby. I would gladly stay here again, just based on the location.

It is a small hotel, with a small lobby and breakfast area. It is unfortunate (but probably a requirement) that they replaced the original old elevator with a modern one. The old car is still in the lobby and the ironwork from the old elevator was thankfully kept intact.

The room was clean and comfortable. Some have nice balconies overlooking the pedestrian street (ours did not). Our interior room was very quiet.

The bathroom setup was a bit strange. It is enclosed by a partially frosted glass wall, which doesn't offer complete privacy. The toilet, sink and shower were all behind that wall, and open to each other. So again, not much privacy. Having said that, the bathroom was clean and the shower quite modern (overhead shower, handheld, additional body sprays).

A couple of downsides to the room - not the best use of storage space for a small hotel. No hooks. Anywhere. Tables with open space underneath them could be better setup. Also, there were very few outlets, which made charging devices tricky.

Wi-fi was free, but performance was sporadic.

The free breakfast was nice. The cappuccino/latte machine was fantastic! Some of the fruit was very good and fresh, but they had pineapple slices that were past fresh.

The only thing I can't comment on is the overall value. We were here as part of a tour, so I don't know what the room cost was. However, considering the price of the tour and that this was a school tour, I think this hotel is probably an extremely good value.

Room Tip: Interior rooms were quiet. There are exterior rooms overlooking the pedestrian street. These have a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
PPPuertadelSol, Director de Recepción at Petit Palace Puerta Del Sol, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear KDAA,
thank you very much for your kind words about our hotel, we are very glad you have enjoyed your stay with us.
We still working in order to improve our services and facilities.
Hoping to see you soon again.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I have travelled to Madrid 4/5 times, but always stayed in 5* hotels due to corporate groups with me earlier ( I work for a leading holiday company in New Delhi, La Vacanza Travel). This time it was a sponsored visit by Madrid Visitors & Convention Bureau.

Expectations were really high for booking was made by Madrid Tourism board but it was initially a disappointment when our vehicle stopped in front of the hotel and I couldn't make out where hotel was.

During the 02 nights stay in the hotel I realised It was a wonderful choice, this hotel has a great location, walking distance to almost all the attractions of Madrid including shopping, sightseeing, meals etc.

Rooms are very modern and tastefully done and have fresh feel ( I guess hotels has been recently renovated) , to my surprise besides free wi fi there was a laptop in the room for free use. Breakfast was also outstanding.

If I travel with my family I will surely book this hotel. It actually exceeded my expectation considering it is a 3* and has decent tariffs.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Shad_Siddiqui
PPPuertadelSol, Director de Recepción at Petit Palace Puerta Del Sol, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Customer,
thank you very much for your words, it is a pleasure to read comments like yours.
All our efforts are to make our guests feel like at home, and reading your review, we are proud that you compare us with 5 star hotels, as these efforts are rewarded.
Again, we appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience, and we hope to see you soon among us.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed 12 March 2014

We have always used this hotel when visiting madrid. It's location is fantastic, we can walk everywhere(except bernabeu). The staff are friendly and the rooms are large with a balcony(we always overlook sol) would recommend it to everyone who wants to in the hustle and bustle of the centre.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank ord
Eri_Martinez_Varela, Online sales department at Petit Palace Puerta Del Sol, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear guest,
thank you very much for your comments and the confindence placed in our hotel for your stay.
As you point out, our hotel is great located just in the down town.

We hope to lodge you again in future stays.
Best regards

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Beautiful rooms and having a balcony was absolutely wonderful. You could not want or ask for a more central location, very good cafes and shops near by, and all the wonderful bustle of Madrid. Also very close to the Sol metro stop and within walking distance of many of the sights.

Room Tip: Try and get a balcony (back of hotel) as this was amazing. The back of the hotel is a lot quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Heather W
Eri_Martinez_Varela, Department online sales at Petit Palace Puerta Del Sol, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear guest:
Thank you very much for your comment and for the confidence placed in our Hotel Petit Palace Puerta Del Sol to choose for your stay in Madrid. As you point out our hotel is perfectly located in the heart of Madrid. Thank you very much for considering us for future stays.
Kind regards.